casting silicone mask

ERen89

I am working on a Halloween project and this is my first time working with this sort of thing. But I am sculpting a mask I eventually will have a mold made and cast it in silicone (from what I understand silicone is the most flesh like material to use). I am just curious to ask what exact silicone is best used for this and where I can get a hold of it? Also I have seen videos of people wearing their self made silicone masks and because how it fits it stretches with their facial movements and mouth movements. Is that mostly from sizing it accurately or the material you use to cast it?

Thanks

hello everyone! this is my first post, and question... i have a foam bust with which i have sculpted onto with monster makers clay, and a decent amount of dragon skin silicone from smooth-on. the guy at the supplier said that i can make a mold out of the silicon, let it cure, and then tumble-cast another amount of the exact same silicone in it to make my mask. i know i should trust him but... i don't, as i am afraid to waste this very expensive product. i have an aerosol release agent, but i am still worried about the silicone binding. also, my sculpture has torn cheeks that lead into an open mouth. i want to add resin teeth to the silicone after i cast it. i'm wondering when i make the mold, should i go around the cheek flaps fully? that would only lead to trapping the monster clay inside... and as for adding the resin teeth... i'm a little lost here.

You can cast silicone into itself with the right release... MAKE SURE it is the right release....
As far as the mold making procedure, a lot of times I will make the mold and casting with the teeth in, then cut out the rubber teeth and add in real teeth, you can even cut down into the silicone to make gum holes if needed. I would use Sil Poxy to adhere the teeth to the silicone:
http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=11_1189

Thanks for the answers. Would 2lbs/trial kit be enough for making a mask? I don't have the money for purchasing the 16lbs/gallon. I can probably afford at most two orders of the trial kit making 4 lbs. Im wondering what'll be enough. Also if 0010 is my best bet or if it'll be too soft. I'm going for soft for a realistic fleshy texture and movement.

Last edited:
A lot of variables go into knowing how much rubber you need, thickness of the sculpt over all and thickness of any protrusions, etc.. IF it is a full over the head mask such as CFX, Immortals or any of those I can tell you that they weigh much more than 2 to 4 pounds... If it is just a face mask then I think you could potentially get away with a trial kit, considering the above mentioned issues...
http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=460
Ecoflex 0030 would be a better choice than Ecoflex 0010

You can cast silicone into itself with the right release... MAKE SURE it is the right release....
As far as the mold making procedure, a lot of times I will make the mold and casting with the teeth in, then cut out the rubber teeth and add in real teeth, you can even cut down into the silicone to make gum holes if needed. I would use Sil Poxy to adhere the teeth to the silicone:
http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=11_1189

the release agent i have is 'mann ease release 200', which is halogenated hydrocarbon, ether, modified polysiloxane polymer mixture... apparently it gives a satin finish to cast parts, does this mean that i can still airbrush onto it? also, any idea about how i could get my big nose to work with a mask that has no nose (scrunched up bat-vampire nose)
thanks

I'm now wondering because of my budget if using liquid latex would be a better option and if I can pull off just as realistic looking as that of a silicone mask. I'm basically making a fleshy monster mask..think silent hill. The paint job will be a big factor into the appearance but u think going a cheaper route with liquid latex would work?

I'm now wondering because of my budget if using liquid latex would be a better option and if I can pull off just as realistic looking as that of a silicone mask. I'm basically making a fleshy monster mask..think silent hill. The paint job will be a big factor into the appearance but u think going a cheaper route with liquid latex would work?

Hey man if it's your first mask I would recommend it. The silicone is a lot more expensive than the latex. It's not gonna be perfect its a learning curve right? I had already bought plenty of silicon but now I am thinking of saving it for later since the mask I'm gonna make will be my first one. I think it's best to figure out how molding and casting works. Here is a resource I found that I think contains most of the cheaper options in making the mask, and it is really good too, and it's done in latex. It's a 3 part series. http://evancampbell.deviantart.com/art/Mask-Making-Tutorial-Part-1-128952591

my best suggestion is add some "slacker" from smooth-on to your sil when you do make a casting it. If you do 3 or 4 stipple layers on the outer surface of your mold first it will give it the soft muscle under flesh feeling. as for adhesion i reccomend telsis 5 instead of skin tite unless the mask has a lot of interior surface area

I am gonna go for Latex. I have another question tho regarding the mask. This is supposed to be a monster mask very Silent Hill based. I came across this image on google browsing for ideas and I thought it would be awesome if I can cover an eye like this. Is there a way to do that and still be able to see through the patch of skin? I dont know what material I would use that is transparent enough to pull that off while still looking like solid skin from the out side.

eyyeee.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back