Episode VII Stormtrooper

Look, I didn't want this to turn into a "bash Pepakura" thread, so now that the painkillers are gone and I'm relatively lucid, let me try an explain this a bit better. Speaking for the old-school guys, we see Pepakura as a double edged sword.

On the one side you have the fact that Pepakura has allowed thousands of people to get involved in art by supplying an endless list of kits for them to assemble. Instead of just being passive consumers you are building, finishing, painting, and showing off something you made with your own hands. That is nothing but awesome and I applaud every single person that takes part. All art is cool no matter how you come to it, be it by kit or by clay.

On the other side you have the fact that Pepakura is indicative of a ready-made "copy-and-paste" culture that is watering down that very same art. Instead of being a doorway to a larger art world, the easy nature of Pepakura seems to inhibit the user's desire to learn more and to stretch themselves. i.e. I just had an argument with a guy that apparently couldn't believe that I could have done this without Pepakura and that I was refusing to share a file that does not exist. In other words, the greatest benefit of Pep, that you can create very complex pieces easily, is also it's greatest detriment because it gives the builder a false sense of accomplishment and leaves them with a much shallower understanding of the art behind it.

Another way to put all this is to simply say that I give Pepakura ****, not because I want to feel superior to you, but because I want you to grow as artists and push yourselves past your comfort zone. I want you to see Pep as just the first step into a larger world, not the end of the staircase. Wow me with your creations. Impress me with your knowledge. I want the younger generations to be better than me, not copying what someone else did, printing it out and calling it an accomplishment.

So.... Does that mean you're not gonna share the file?

KIDDING! I agree with you completely. Finishing off a pep takes some skill to be sure, but it's nothing compared to making your own stuff from scratch. I like to choose my projects based on what new techniques I'll need to learn to finish it. We should push ourselves.

And your sculpture is cool too, I hadnt seen that design yet. I'll be watching this one.

14081919578776.jpg14081919581023.jpg I found another picture. Here it is visible that a helmet asymmetrical. And respiratory valve only on the one side

I appreciate the thought, Riddicka, but those are not the same helmet. The pic on the left is a concept painting and the one on the right is the final, actual piece. And just like the Ralph McQuarrie paintings, the details changed between concept and physical object. It's more likely that they removed the valves or moved them under the chin rather being asymmetrical.

I planned for this when I sculpted my helmet by making it easily modifiable so that new details can be added when they are revealed.

I'm not the HUGEST fan of star wars (even though I can quote A New Hope by heart, have a copy of the unedited movies and refuse to buy into the awful mess that was Phantom Menace), but I can definitely say that I'm extremely excited to see how this turns out.

Great work on actually sculpting this, I totally understand your feeling towards the pep and I am pleased to see some real sculpting talent on display.

Great effort but I always worry when people start projects like this without seeing all angles of the original piece. Only one pic - it is a risk. 10 out of 10 for technic :thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back