Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

Re: Walking Dead spin off series

We'd all be zombies here in Seattle if the coffee shops were all taken out!

Film it in Pittsburgh, considering Romero's turned his back on the city to film in canada (and pretend it's the Pittsburgh area) and help the economy.

this is a very bad idea. if it great........great, but if it sucks, it can affect the original show. why mess with the golden goose amc.

It could be interesting, the trick is making it familiar yet different. I think that having it follow the remnants of a military unit that's taken on some civilians could have some interesting dynamics albeit perhaps overused ones like clashes between the military and the civilians.

Honestly, other than showcasing a different group of survivors in a different part of the country, I struggle to come up with what are the major themes and issues that they'd tackle differently. The original show and comics covers a LOT of the range of scenarios you'd expect to explore. Wouldn't this just be redundant?

I agree with you on this. For the spin off I want some kind of inside group or government unit dealing with the virus. Kinda like 28 weeks later in how the city was blocked off to contain the outbreak. How about a team of seals or night stalkers. I don't need another flip flop cop who gets half his groups killed by his mistakes. But everyone still fellows him cause they can't think for themselves.

Honestly, other than showcasing a different group of survivors in a different part of the country, I struggle to come up with what are the major themes and issues that they'd tackle differently. The original show and comics covers a LOT of the range of scenarios you'd expect to explore. Wouldn't this just be redundant?

They get peop... lemmings to watch multiple CSIs, Law & Orders, etc. so I think they could do a really good spinoff if the same attention is paid to that show. I've heard the WD game that Telltale Games makes is really good and they've even considered having the main cast encounter characters from this in the series.

4u8u.jpg

I would still love to see a Band of Brothers/Pacific-style of zombie series. Make it a limited series so there's a true start and finish without any wavering.

Couple of issues I have with a spin off. One, if done great, it could be more popular than our original show. Second, one of the great things about TWD, is not knowing what is going on elsewhere in the world. By following more people around we immediately know that the world has not completely gone to pot. Takes away some of the unknown dread of a "living in a zombie apocalypse" show. I agree that just following around another group would be just a rehash of what we have already seen.

We don't need another show, we don't need a whole new cast of characters, we don't need an expanded universe setting, in short,

AMC, leave TWD alone.....!

Couple of issues I have with a spin off. One, if done great, it could be more popular than our original show. Second, one of the great things about TWD, is not knowing what is going on elsewhere in the world. By following more people around we immediately know that the world has not completely gone to pot. Takes away some of the unknown dread of a "living in a zombie apocalypse" show. I agree that just following around another group would be just a rehash of what we have already seen.

We don't need another show, we don't need a whole new cast of characters, we don't need an expanded universe setting, in short,

AMC, leave TWD alone.....!

I agree.

For me, part of what makes TWD interesting is that only centred on that group, and we only really know what they know. Most if not all zombie movies will at some point give you the big city an monuments being over run footage. For all Rick etc know they could be out one day and hit a fence, only to find its an Atlanta problem we fenced the state off, move away from the fence.

A spin off takes all the wonder of whats going on and the sense of hope for the character away somewhat.

I'd like to say I wouldn't watch it, but I'm weak an has zombies in, what can you do against them odds?

I agree.

For me, part of what makes TWD interesting is that only centred on that group, and we only really know what they know. Most if not all zombie movies will at some point give you the big city an monuments being over run footage. For all Rick etc know they could be out one day and hit a fence, only to find its an Atlanta problem we fenced the state off, move away from the fence.

A spin off takes all the wonder of whats going on and the sense of hope for the character away somewhat.

I'd like to say I wouldn't watch it, but I'm weak an has zombies in, what can you do against them odds?

That problem is easily solved by setting the spin off on the West Coast somewhere, or even the South West, nice and far from Atlanta, that should make it feel nice and far away, far away enough that although we'll know Atlanta wasn't an isolated incident, it's still far out enough that we don't really know what's happening everywhere in between. As it stands, we know that the zombie apocalypse is worldwide, we just don't know how bad it is elsewhere and if there's been any progress made anywhere else in fixing things and restarting society; that would still be the case in a spin off if they kept it localized like in the original. If they kept the spin off localized all we'd know is what's happening in that localized area and not necessarily what's happening in the rest of the US much less the world.

That problem is easily solved by setting the spin off on the West Coast somewhere, or even the South West, nice and far from Atlanta, that should make it feel nice and far away, far away enough that although we'll know Atlanta wasn't an isolated incident, it's still far out enough that we don't really know what's happening everywhere in between. As it stands, we know that the zombie apocalypse is worldwide, we just don't know how bad it is elsewhere and if there's been any progress made anywhere else in fixing things and restarting society; that would still be the case in a spin off if they kept it localized like in the original. If they kept the spin off localized all we'd know is what's happening in that localized area and not necessarily what's happening in the rest of the US much less the world.

I know it can be done well, its just that sense of being in on the bigger picture. I like the small scale feel of it, with the picture unfolding to us as it does to the group.

Moan as I might, I'll still be watching.

I know it can be done well, its just that sense of being in on the bigger picture. I like the small scale feel of it, with the picture unfolding to us as it does to the group.

Moan as I might, I'll still be watching.

Like I said before, you'd still get the small scale feel if they kept the focus small and not show us what's happening between where the spin off takes place and Atlanta where the original takes place. If the spin off were to be set on the West Coast or even as far east as NM or AZ there's still a whole lot of country that you'd have no idea of what's going on in. Once again, assuming they kept the focus small, all you would know is what's happening in Atlanta and what's happening in wherever the spin off is taking place and not much else.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back