Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

The junkie kid got on my nerves after about 3 minutes and these people strike me as city slickers who wouldn't survive a week without power let alone a zombie outbreak. I'd rather have seen it set in a rural area like Jericho but near a big city so you get some big city collapse scenes but you also get to see them struggle with limited supplies and refugees as well as zombies.

One of the most boring premiers I've seen in a while. Flat acting. Very slow pace. I don't believe any of these characters would survive more than a week.

I kept hoping for some action. If telling the story of the initial outbreak is the key to this series, then please don't F@#$ it up! You only get to tell this story once.

The opening to Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was 10 times more exciting:

That gives me much more a sense of FEAR. I really hope they pick up the pace!

Last edited by a moderator:
What did everyone think?

I thought it was pretty good, a nice slow build up. The junkie son was starting to get on my nerves but by the end of the episode I was fine with him. Also a nice cameo by Andre' (Black guy from Victorious, if you have a young one, Im sure you know who he is), as one of Travis' students

When I had his head down on the desk I was thinking that looked like Andre, then when he looked up it totally took me out of the show for a second:lol
I wonder if we'll see a zombified Andre

Nick's character is annoying, but then again, it's pretty spot on for a junkie

Overall it was good, if a little slow. Not as exciting as the trailers made it seem (of course I assume they just did a montage of the action parts from all the first 6 episodes probably).

it's got my interest, I'll keep watching.

I am trying to remember, in the begining didn't it take awhile for the turn to happen? Also initially didn't people have to get bit?
I think we can assume the turn happened pretty quickly. Rick went into the hospital, and all was well. He wakes up, and society has already totally collapsed.

We only saw people that got bit turn, but we never saw a person die for any other reason than a bite until Shane dies.

Getting bit just speeds up the process. Everyone is "infected", so once someone dies they turn

This is starting to bother me more and more. Why does a bite, even a non-lethal one to the arm, accelerate the process of turning?

The junkie kid got on my nerves after about 3 minutes and these people strike me as city slickers who wouldn't survive a week without power let alone a zombie outbreak. I'd rather have seen it set in a rural area like Jericho but near a big city so you get some big city collapse scenes but you also get to see them struggle with limited supplies and refugees as well as zombies.

That may be the point. If something like this were to go down, you'd think they'd mobilize the military and institute marshal law pretty quickly. If a city the size of LA got infected, the infection rate would be extremely high because people aren't equipped to deal with something like this. It might be too late once the military does arrive.

This is starting to bother me more and more. Why does a bite, even a non-lethal one to the arm, accelerate the process of turning?

My head logic is that the bacteria and such in someone's mouth will cause infection/fever and accelerate things. This is even worse for the regular Walking Dead since those walkers have been decaying for a while and eating all sorts of bad things...

I think we can assume the turn happened pretty quickly. Rick went into the hospital, and all was well. He wakes up, and society has already totally collapsed.

We only saw people that got bit turn, but we never saw a person die for any other reason than a bite until Shane dies.

This is starting to bother me more and more. Why does a bite, even a non-lethal one to the arm, accelerate the process

I figured that it's some sort of septic reaction to bacteria. Think about it: when the body dies, it begins to break down, with some nasty bacteria and various other nasty stuff. Not to mention, there's already stuff within the human mouth that you don't want in your bloodstream.

Of course, that's just me and I'm going off what I know of the human anatomy.

Pretty much the same as others:

1.) Bad acting (period)
2.) Ive had a bit to much of the 'perfect' husband/wife/teacher non-sense.. (I love you, I'm there for you, we'll do it together.. hugs/kiss..etc.. yadda yadda) I care about my students.. etc what was the point, except to fill time? I mean I understand some character building a bit.. but in the grand scheme... whats the point?

3.) Wife is terrible, junkie kid is terrible.. husband is an decent actor.. but this character is a joke. (randomly goes to drug dens at middle of night on a whim.... really?)
4.) Enough with the daughter/sister and her boyfriend too... we get it.. not happy with home life.. boyfriend all she count on (or similar)
5.) The junkie brother and his sister in the hospital stunk of boyfriend/girlfriend dialogue and body language

As viewers we know its not from drugs/heroin (as you can turn when you die having never been a junkie/drug-head..etc)... so why waste the time on the dealer? Neat twist he tried to kill junkie kid Nick to keep his dealing secret... but really.. in the big picture, why? Who cares?

Some random kid off the street (who brings a knife to school) has heard things... but nobody else? National 'incidents'... but no adults know anything? (not-believable at all)

Some junkie kid left in church knows theres a killer.. but doesnt leave? runs out when a normal (Step-dad) finds him?.....riiiiiiight. I know I'd be sticking around until that point.

I get we need to meet the characters...but it should be focused on the outbreaks, what the CDC did/does in the beginning? theories... I mean before it all crashed and burned, there had to be some ideas? some data? research? they should be getting to that stuff.. not wasting time to drag out dialogue between the parents.

The storylines arent messing well IMHO...between the two series..

in TWD.. noone knew 'everyone' has it in them...

but clearly.. in the beginning people were turning just after dying (no biting)..... so how could that info not have been known?

I mean in the leaked video coverage of the initial 'zombie' on the highway..

clearly you take away a few things..

nothing stops them, clubs, bullets..
head shot seems to work.

you think after a few more of these 'sightings' and reports coming in.. "He was dead one minute, then walking around like a zombie the next" would be pretty high on the list of details.....no?

1.5 hours was too long to waste on non-sense..

1.5 hours of action and learning new things would have been better.

strike 1.... they have two more strikes left..

5.) The junkie brother and his sister in the hospital stunk of boyfriend/girlfriend dialogue and body language

As viewers we know its not from drugs/heroin (as you can turn when you die having never been a junkie/drug-head..etc)... so why waste the time on the dealer? Neat twist he tried to kill junkie kid Nick to keep his dealing secret... but really.. in the big picture, why? Who cares?

I mean in the leaked video coverage of the initial 'zombie' on the highway..

Agreed on brother/sister. Even my 13 year old son saw it. He said, "Wait. I thought they were brother and sister."

The dealer scene was a good way to show the parents what was going on. I liked that whole story line. Really showed what scumbags they are, too.

We don't know the highway zombie died naturally. He could have been bitten and on his way to the hospital when he turned and crashed.

Yeah, I mean, if everyone is infected and you become a zombie just from dying in any which way possible, then there would be 160+ new zombies each day just in LA alone according to the 2005 statistic below:

On an average day in Los Angeles County in 2005, 165 people died: 42 from coronary heart disease, 38 from cancer, 11 from injuries (accident, homicide, suicide), and 10 from stroke. Six deaths were children or young adults less than 25 years of age. Source: Los Angeles County Department of Public Health

And zombies like to eat.

Lets take a look at the US as a whole:

1. According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in the most recent year data is available, 2008. That means 6,775 per day.

That's 6,775 new zombies each day in the US alone. It's estimated around 150,000 people die each day across the globe.150,000 new zombies each day and that doesn't even take into account zombie bite infections. Even if it was only 1/10 that number it would make national news within hours.

With a very conservative multiplier of only 2. That's saying that each zombie would only infect 1 other person within a 24hr period:

150,000 x 2
300,000 x 2
600,000 x 2
Over 1 million infected within 96 hrs!
1,200,000 x 2
2,400,000 x 2
4,800,000 x 2
9,600,000 x 2
38,400,000 x 2
76,800,000 x 2
153,600,000 x 2
307,200,000 x 2
614,400,000 x 2
Over 1 billion infected in the first 12 days
1,228,800,000 . . .

Everything would go to **** in a matter of hrs if anyone and everyone who dies becomes the walking dead.

I can't help but watch a show or a movie and be all :):eek:confused:rolleyes but if I'm still :D the whole time through it . . . all the better.

Last edited:
I was so irritated with this show (and after posting here) I actually went back and watched the first 3 episodes of TWD just to recalibrate.

THAT's a premiere. I forgot Rick shot Bunny slipper girl in the head during first minute of the show! Yeah, that'll get your attention. THEN, go ahead and educate me on the character's back-story. :thumbsup

FTWD introduces me to a junkie in a hipster shirt!? I've got zero sympathy for junkies and find nothing about them likable. Flat, flat, flat....ugh! What a **** fest. No, I don't want to give junkie guy and his snotty sister a break...I'm praying for swift and brutal recasting and a rapid cut to the two of them being devoured by their freshly infected parents.

Kirkman has lost his damned mind!

Last edited:
I lost interest after 15 minutes into the show....totally not interested in anything , except , how this all started with the virus ....leading to the actual show The Walking Dead.....I have no desire to watch...some stupid people doing drugs

Maybe this will be answered later, but why was he wearing a girl's shirt? And did he have lipstick on too? Or is is this just supposed to imply that he sells his body for drugs?

The freeway scene was cool, should have happened sooner in the episode.

Hope the show isn't the Tale of Edward Needle-tracks.
There isn't a character that I don't want to see eaten.... except maybe the ex-wife and that is only be because she really wasn't in the show.

So who thinks the disappearances is an attempt at containment?

One of the most boring premiers I've seen in a while. Flat acting. Very slow pace. I don't believe any of these characters would survive more than a week.

I kept hoping for some action. If telling the story of the initial outbreak is the key to this series, then please don't F@#$ it up! You only get to tell this story once.

The opening to Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was 10 times more exciting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeZ0SIG2eJY

That gives me much more a sense of FEAR. I really hope they pick up the pace!

I agree. I think there might be something wrong with me, but I always like the scene of when the crap hits the fan in these kinds of shows. :lol Hopefully we'll see that in the next couple of episodes.

I was so irritated with this show (and after posting here) I actually went back and watched the first 3 episodes of TWD just to recalibrate.

THAT's a premiere. I forgot Rick shot Bunny slipper girl in the head during first minute of the show! Yeah, that'll get your attention. THEN, go ahead and educate me on the character's back-story. :thumbsup

FTWD introduces me to a junkie in a hipster shirt!? I've got zero sympathy for junkies and find nothing about them likable. Flat, flat, flat....ugh! What a **** fest. No, I don't want to give junkie guy and his snotty sister a break...I'm praying for swift and brutal recasting and a rapid cut to the two of them being devoured by their freshly infected parents.

Kirkman has lost his damned mind!

Kirkman probably saw dollar signs and figured he'd let AMC do whatever they want to do. I was really hoping this would be, as i said before, more like Jericho. It was a bit slow and some of the characters not likeable but the premiere was more interesting than this. Even if they don't say much about what causes the zombies you'd think it'd be national news that something mysterious was going on. The CDC isn't that good at keeping secrets in real life, hell they can't even store anthrax right in their own labs, so you know rumors would go and in the modern world someone would have footage of a zombie on youtube in no time.
jcoffman99: those aren't Transformers, they're some perverse fetish of michael bay lol. Hell calling them Gobots is an insult to the Gobot franchise (which was pretty lame).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back