Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

What did everyone think?

I thought it was pretty good, a nice slow build up. The junkie son was starting to get on my nerves but by the end of the episode I was fine with him. Also a nice cameo by Andre' (Black guy from Victorious, if you have a young one, Im sure you know who he is), as one of Travis' students

I've been a fan of Cliff Curtis for years and Kim Dickens was good as well. Young Voldemort was a little annoying at first, especially with the whole "he's on drugs, so it was all a hallucination" trope, but grew on me as the episode progressed.

The beginning was really good; I liked how it started small in the church (sort of claustrophobic) then panned up into the city to show the scale of things. The traffic scene stood out for me as well, so did the ending, but there were definitely some pacing issues throughout the episode.

In any case, I'll be watching this season...

Spoilers for the ending:

Did Madison get bit at the end? It looked like he bit her arm, but it was over the sleeve. I wonder if that will be a slow burn this season or not...

I've been a fan of Cliff Curtis for years and Kim Dickens was good as well. Young Voldemort was a little annoying at first, especially with the whole "he's on drugs, so it was all a hallucination" trope, but grew on me as the episode progressed.

Actually, that was subversion of the trope, primarily because the kid couldn't tell if what he was real or if it was due to the drugs he took (hence the reason why he went to ask the drug dealer if there was any PCP in it). Of course, we all know that its real, but to him, he's not sure, thus creating a bit of conflict with him.

The beginning was really good; I liked how it started small in the church (sort of claustrophobic) then panned up into the city to show the scale of things. The traffic scene stood out for me as well, so did the ending, but there were definitely some pacing issues throughout the episode.

I have to say for the church thing, I sort of got, "This is set during the apocalypse, and these people are just holed up from the horrors outside" kind of vibe from it, and when that motorcycle came by, followed by the car hit, you get that it's not during the apocalypse, yet. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if that church becomes the group's main base of operations after everything goes to hell. I agree, the pacing may be off, but, again, I think it's the whole "let's do zombie killing" mentality. Typically, time is filled in with zombie killings to counterbalance the drama, but since this is the start of the zombie apocalypse, there can't be a whole lot of zombie killing just yet.

In any case, I'll be watching this season...

I will too. :)

Spoilers for the ending:

Did Madison get bit at the end? It looked like he bit her arm, but it was over the sleeve. I wonder if that will be a slow burn this season or not...

I don't think she did, I think he grabbed her arm, but didn't get the chance to bite into it. Even so, with the sleeve of her jacket, chances are that the skin wasn't broken. But I will admit, it reminded me of Issue 4 of the comics when this happened, and it turned out that Rick was okay because it just bit into the jacket (granted, her jacket is different, but it did invoke that image).

I move we stop trying to protect people from their own stupidity. You guys kill me with these spoiler warnings.

As I've said a million times, if someone is dumb enough to start reading a thread regarding a show they've yet to watch, what else do they expect they're gonna see but shocker, **** about the show!

Its tantamount to a sports fan reading an article about last nights game and then complaining they mentioned the score. Well, no ****.

Meh.

I don't know what it is about TWD but I just can't get into it. I try and I try and I try...

I was hoping this would be better... Sadly it wasn't.

Spoilers!!!!

Its was Ok. A little slow in the big reveal (That there were actually zombies). It better pick up in episode two quickly or its gonna loose viewers.

I really liked it. I think it's good to get a chance to give an introduction to the characters as things slowly go bad. I don't have to see a zombie a minute to get engaged. We have to get a feel for the people who are going to be part of this big virus about to go mad. Getting a sense of all the lives that will be taken through this makes it a bit heavier to take as their world starts to slip out from under their feet.

I say give it a chance. I am enjoying what I have seen thus far. It will get more intense. This is the same everyone producers and exec from Walking Dead. It's not a ripoff show.

I didn't care about any of those people especially the junkie kid. They didn't come across as survivors to me, Whats with the whole ultra dysfunctional family thing? Is that supposed to be the new norm? Overall I thought it was slow and a bad choice of actors.

Not a lot of surprises, but I enjoyed it.

Oddly, the only thing that took me out of it was the scene where Alicia was at the beach, waiting for Matt. The music cue sounded just like some of McCreary's BSG work. (There have probably been similar occasions in TWD but I didn't notice.)

So, with Calvin gone, the race is on between Matt and the principal to see which one survives. And things aren't looking good for Matt... :)

Here are the episode titles and short synopsis of the remaining season:

Episode 1.02 - So Close, Yet So Far

Madison tries to keep Nick from withdrawal; Travis sets out to locate his son before Los Angeles falls.

Episode 1.03 - The Dog

After they escape a riot, Travis, Liza and Chris seek refuge with the Salazars; Madison defends her home.

Episode 1.04 - Not Fade Away

Madison and Travis see different sides of the National Guard's occupation in their neighborhood; the family tries to adapt to the new world.

Episode 1.05 - Cobalt

The National Guard's plan for the neighborhood is revealed; Travis and Madison make a difficult decision.

Episode 1.06 - The Good Man

As civil unrest grows, and the dead take over, Travis and Madison try to devise ways to protect their families.

I liked it so far. Yes, it was a tad slow, but that's a big table to set.

What I liked:
I liked how throughout the episode you saw more and more people being unaccounted for. Missing posters, less people in the park, high absence rate at school, etc.

What I didn't like:
With that many people missing, why wasn't it a bigger deal? Why wasn't there more concern?

My question:
What caused it? Bad drugs? Seems to center a lot around that culture.

Definitely not the A team as far as actors go. Or even B team for that matter. In other words, the acting is pretty bad.

I want to like this but im just not sure. Ill check it out next week and see what happens. It seemed like an hour long PDA on why drugs are bad.

I liked it so far. Yes, it was a tad slow, but that's a big table to set.

What I liked:
I liked how throughout the episode you saw more and more people being unaccounted for. Missing posters, less people in the park, high absence rate at school, etc.

What I didn't like:
With that many people missing, why wasn't it a bigger deal? Why wasn't there more concern?

My question:
What caused it? Bad drugs? Seems to center a lot around that culture.

In TWD universe the "cause" has never been a focus, so I don't imagine we'll have a reveal in this show either.

I am trying to remember, in the begining didn't it take awhile for the turn to happen? Also initially didn't people have to get bit?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back