D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

At the end of the episode when they start playing the mopey lovey drippy songs--that's when I do a channel surf. Get back just in time to catch the last scene and the next week preview.

GOD, all those songs are awful!!!

3 episodes into the new season, and, I dunno. It's well done, and they're taking on a theme that has profound relevance to current events.

But for me that's the problem. Not because the issues aren't important, and not because they aren't doing it well. But because I see enough hatred in real life, I don't want to experience characters like Sam Witwer's father in this episode when I'm watching escapist entertainment. I had the same reaction to the anti-mutant stuff in the X-Men milieu. It's realistic but it's also depressing. Can I have some fun please?

I'm not saying it's wrong to make a show this way, it just doesn't happen to be what I want from it.

(But hey, at least Sam and her kid are gone. ;) )

Well, I thought I was probably the only one left watching this. Not because it's really any good, simply because it's something to have on while I'm eating dinner--something I really don't have to pay that much attention to while I'm eating.

I'm still doing this show on Monday nights. Don't like the new time slot. I've got enough stuff to DVR on Sunday nights already.

3 episodes into the new season, and, I dunno. It's well done, and they're taking on a theme that has profound relevance to current events.

But for me that's the problem. Not because the issues aren't important, and not because they aren't doing it well. But because I see enough hatred in real life, I don't want to experience characters like Sam Witwer's father in this episode when I'm watching escapist entertainment. I had the same reaction to the anti-mutant stuff in the X-Men milieu. It's realistic but it's also depressing. Can I have some fun please?

I'm not saying it's wrong to make a show this way, it just doesn't happen to be what I want from it.

(But hey, at least Sam and her kid are gone. ;) )

I agree. It's too on the nose frankly. It's not loosely using it, it's fitting it as close the real narrative as possible. I just want it to be fun. I think Gifted is doing it better, but same thing applies there - i want fun, not reminded of the @#$% show of the real world.

I agree. It's too on the nose frankly. It's not loosely using it, it's fitting it as close the real narrative as possible. I just want it to be fun. I think Gifted is doing it better, but same thing applies there - i want fun, not reminded of the @#$% show of the real world.

It's really the difference between The Gifted and Runaways. One of them is a fun story with interesting characters told within a loosely comic-related storyline, the other is just social justice tropes. Television has forgotten how to be entertaining. Far too many people think it has to be relevant. Supergirl always suffered from that. It's why I stopped watching it.

I didn't even grow up in the 50s and 60s, but I'm appreciating more and more the worlds of that era's Superman and Batman shows, where the hero is respected everywhere, and people do not act prejudicially against each other. Places where they don't even have to SAY "don't be racist" because it never even occurred to anyone to be that way. Of course it's not the real world, but isn't that the point? Lead by example?

If we can't even FANTASIZE about better worlds, what hope do we have to achieve them?

VNa2WYi.jpg

Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch as Superman and Lois Lane.

Jon Cryer has been announced as Lex Luthor for later in the season.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Lenny snagged that role :)

Neither does Jesse Eisenburg, but at least Jesse had some sort of high functioning psychopath acting skills. Lenny Luthor will be interesting. I haven’t watched since the first five episodes but have considered getting caught up.

I think the only disservice the Chris Reeves Superman ever did to the mythos was to have Gene Hackman portray Luthor as a bit of an inept goof because all other live action portrayals have loosely followed suit.

To me the only version of Lex that seems to do the megalomania of the character justice was the Animated Series/Justice League Unlimited version... though he always reminded me of Telly Savalas the way he was drawn.

Lex-Luthor.jpg
telly.jpg

Anyone else notice that Alex is wearing a black S-shield on her uniform?

I know it's hard to spot with that horrible wig drawing your attention...

So it seems that Kara's messed up reality is the one where Superman is all black-suited and authoritarian. Alex is working for him.

My guess anyway.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back