D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

But seriously though, is this show being made for tween girls? It certainly looks like it, cuz I sure as hell ain't the target demo and I can't imagine my wife would watch this either.

I think they need a Hispanic paraplegic Supergirl and have the first Asian female director. That's my pitch.

Trailer doesn't really do it for me, but trailers can be misleading. I'll check it out for sure though, but right now it looks like a cross between "the devil wears prada" and some kind of girly show for lack of better words, with superpowers thrown in. The "help me pick up what to wear for a date" and stuff like that, not my cup of tea.

But seriously though, is this show being made for tween girls? It certainly looks like it, cuz I sure as hell ain't the target demo and I can't imagine my wife would watch this either.

Realistically? Yeah, probably. First, Kara is being played by a young woman who is definitely attractive, but isn't necessarily what you would find in a fashion magazine (in fact she spends most of the trailer looking like a hard working but nevertheless dorky citizen). Then there's Flockhart's quote in the middle of the trailer, "I'm a girl. And your boss, and powerful, and rich, and hot, and smart. So if you perceive Supergirl as anything less than excellent, isn't the real problem...you?" The subliminal message there is only BARELY subliminal.

I'm not smitten by this first look, but I'll definitely give it a few episodes.

Looks promising. It's going to be really awkward talking about Superman all the time if she doesn't meet him at some point. Have it be off screen or subdued so that he doesn't overshadow things but don't go for a ridiculous stretch of time where she knows he's her cousin and he knows she's on Earth and they never meet up.

Flockhart is a definite turn off. I mean.. she said she was hot. What fictional universe is she living in? I don't care if she is Mrs. Han Solo, she's a hag.

I hope this isn't a litmus test for female hero movies and what we could end up with if we get a Wonder Woman movie. I'd hate to see this same approach to that character.

Looks fun enough though. It's a comic hero show so I'm always willing to give it a try.

It's on BS, not CW though... safe to say it won't exist in the same universe as Flash/Arrow? If so that kinda sucks.

Once again, DC not minding Marvel's mistakes of not having all their eggs in one basket.

Supergirl shares a producer with Flash/Arrow and CBS owns half of CW; they've said it's possible there will be crossover (though the Supergirl people don't want to share her right off the bat).

Um, that was Flockhart's *character* talking, give her a break. I'm sure she is well aware she ain't no spring chicken.

This "first look" is very spoilery! I feel like I've watched the pilot plus the first episode.

I agree about the "tween girl" vibe, but there ain't no law against that. This actress is good. It isn't easy playing adorable dork AND strongly heroic.

I'll give it a whirl.

Um, that was Flockhart's *character* talking, give her a break. I'm sure she is well aware she ain't no spring chicken.

This "first look" is very spoilery! I feel like I've watched the pilot plus the first episode.

I agree about the "tween girl" vibe, but there ain't no law against that. This actress is good. It isn't easy playing adorable dork AND strongly heroic.

I'll give it a whirl.

No breaks here for Flockhart.

I agree to the "T" with you're soiler comment.

I kind of remember Buffy the Vampire Slayer starting out that way... tween to hero. I doubt this will go as dark as Buffy, but as she starts to take on greater foes, it definitely could become more serious. Smallville was like that, right?

It's on BS, not CW though... safe to say it won't exist in the same universe as Flash/Arrow? If so that kinda sucks.

Once again, DC not minding Marvel's mistakes of not having all their eggs in one basket.

I wouldn't count it out just yet. DuneMuadDib made the points I would have made, but also consider that the trailer started off exactly how Arrow and The Flash start: *Main Character:* "My name is... here's a quick blurb on how I got to this point in my life." I think there's a good chance we could see a crossover at some point.

I think there's a good chance we could see a crossover at some point.

Here's to hoping you're right.
I like Flash enough that I'll probably go back and start watching Arrow. There's been a few moments in The Flash where I didn't know what was going on because it was a cross-over thing. Like the last episode when Doug Jones' character (Deadbolt) is one of the metahumans in the prisoner transfer. Me and my son were like "Who the heck is he? Did we miss an episode?"

Most TV show trailers look clunky especially with dialogues being out of context and the whole story of the pilot episode or few early episodes being crammed under a 5 minute clip (in this case over 6 mins).

Still the actress Melissa Benoist is charming. I kept thinking I have seen her somewhere, so after looking up her credits I realized she was in Whiplash. She had a small role but it was sweet and memorable. She was also on Homeland for couple of episodes.

The suit is colorful and bright or at least brighter than the early promo image. Despite the darker shade of blue, the bright red looks great. And the look of the show is also bright, has a hopeful tone and is anything but bleak as it should be.

Writer and producer Greg Berlanti wanted this show to be in the same universe as his other shows (Arrow and Flash), but it will be a while before any actual crossover happens.

From wiki:
"In November 2014, Berlanti expressed interest in Supergirl existing in the same universe as his other series Arrow and The Flash, and in January 2015, The CW president Mark Pedowitz revealed that he was also open to a crossover between the series and networks (due to Berlanti executive producing all three and The CW co-owned by CBS). However, Nina Tassler (Presdent of CBS) stated that month that, "those two shows are on a different network. So I think we'll keep Supergirl to ourselves for awhile."

CBS president Nina Tassler doubtful about a Supergirl/Flash/Arrow crossover
This was back in Jan 2015, so things could definitely still change in the coming months.

Why did they make the trailer into (what looks like) the entire season summarized? Will there even be any surprises now? Way to blow the whole synopsis. I guess I don't need to catch this one??

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back