D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

Marvel has Netflix only series coming too, so its not a solid source. Their idea of connectivity is not the only one either. So far all we know for sure is that Arrow Flash and MAYBE Supergirl are connected. For most people the networks hardly matter unless you are trying to find the show. They watch the show for the show, not what channel its on.

Keep in mind, this whatever-level-of-interconnectedness-it-is for DC is from the same people who forbid smallville for from having him in the suit because they worried it'd confuse people when returns came out as to who was really superman.....Personally, do it how you want, BUT BE CLEAR ABOUT IT. I'm thinking Flash/Arrow connectedness is because one was spun off of the other and not some grand master plan from DC. The fact that a different show under different licensing under different people is airing on a different network would take a lot of dealing to be able to cross over with.

Marvel is a different animal because all the shows and movies are being directed/sync'd by the home office. I don't think such a thing exists for DC right now.

--------------

As for supergirl. I agree with Misty's description and i'd venture that it's a good thing. If you're trying at all to ground it in a real world scenario, your hero isn't going to likely be drop dead gorgeous (male or female frankly). It makes that blending in thing that much more difficult. Additionally, the real world is made of real people. If you based it on American TV/Movies you'd think everyone is at worst a 9.

One of the best shows I've seen is Broadchurch. It's totally believable as a real town because they all look like real people. Not to mention everyone can really act because no one was cast for their looks.

The only thing that really got me in the costume is the skirt. I'm not female, and I've never worn a skirt - but I can't imagine it's crime-fighting friendly. You're either worried about showing your undies all the time or you're wearing pants with it (like she is) which makes the skirt rather unnecessary.

Marvel has Netflix only series coming too, so its not a solid source. Their idea of connectivity is not the only one either. So far all we know for sure is that Arrow Flash and MAYBE Supergirl are connected. For most people the networks hardly matter unless you are trying to find the show. They watch the show for the show, not what channel its on.

Marvel being on Netflix is still within the Marvel universe per Marvel's design. But Marvel has also established its MCU brand as something that people are clearly interested in watching. So, at this point, any channel that aired a Marvel show would, presumably, be totally cool with airing an MCU show that ties in with other MCU material. Why? Because it's gonna make them money and they don't care about the competition.

Of course, Marvel probably wouldn't do that unless they got major bucks out of the licensing, simply because they already have an "in-house" television network in the form of ABC.

Warner Bros. has the CW and CBS, so it's possible the Supergirl show will end up connecting to the CW, but I still think that there might be competition between the networks. Ultimately, it's that network competition that would, I think, make a network reluctant to air a show that dovetails into another network's shows. All that does is send people to go watch the other network.

Netflix is a different animal. It's not competing with ABC. I mean, yes, it competes in the sense of "competes for viewer attention," but it doesn't compete for advertiser revenue in the sense of "Who's going to buy our ad time?" That's different from if, for example, Marvel aired an MCU show on NBC. NBC and ABC directly compete against each other both for viewers and for ad revenues.

DC, though, has had a "Batman" show on Fox, a "Vertigo" show on NBC (Constantine...which died a relatively quick death...), and the two CW programs. Oh, and I think I heard about another CW spinoff with Atom, Firestorm, and maybe Black Canary. Now it has Supergirl. I'd hope they tie it into the CW universe, but it's anyone's guess. And then there's the separate film universe. It's just nowhere near as unified as the Marvel brand.

The brilliance of Marvel's MCU and everything connecting is that it allows for MASSIVE cross-platform marketing, all with a unified brand. At this point, if you buy an MCU product, you know what you're getting regardless of where you get it. MCU TV show? MCU video game? MCU film? You know what to expect. That makes the brand both hugely valuable and immensely successful (assuming you don't let quality tank). But with DC stuff, you have no idea what you're getting. It's a lot more like saying "Hey, did you love the Avengers? Then you're gonna LOVE the new Fantastic Four movie!!" Well, no, that statement doesn't follow because they aren't being made by the same people and the two products have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

KThe only thing that really got me in the costume is the skirt. I'm not female, and I've never worn a skirt - but I can't imagine it's crime-fighting friendly. You're either worried about showing your undies all the time or you're wearing pants with it (like she is) which makes the skirt rather unnecessary.

She's wearing leggings (think halfway between hose and sweatpants), not pants. As for the pantie thing, think cheerleaders: skirts in any "action" context are worn with the kind of undergarment that are not really underwear but meant to be seen from time to time.

Ok I think the official pictures make her look weird, she's prettier than that in other photos and in the latest set pictures. Speaking of which, here she is wit supposedly the new Jimmy Olsen.
normal_mbo_Supergirl-Set150309_036.jpg
Now, I don't mind the change of race, but common', did they have to cast a tall, ripped dude ? That's the polar opposite of jimmy olsen !

Does anyone else get the feel that someone watched every episode of Arrow and Flash and said let's do Supergirl just like this. Geeky socially awkward super powered hero. Check. Interracial love/family interest. Check. Coming to grips on how to use your powers/fight crime. Check.

Keep in mind, this whatever-level-of-interconnectedness-it-is for DC is from the same people who forbid smallville for from having him in the suit because they worried it'd confuse people when returns came out as to who was really superman.....

Actually, the "No Super Suit" in Smallville made perfect sense for the show. Smallville was not about Clark Kent as Superman. It wasn't about trying to keep people from getting confused about Superman Returns. It was about the journey that Clark Kent took to BECOME Superman. Once he donned the suit, the show would no longer be about Clark, but about Superman.

I recall reading that's why you never saw him in the full suit in the finale' as well. All the build up deserved a full suit shot, but all you get is a mini-shot from miles a way and the opening of the shirt.

Tom Welling refused to wear the suit, didn't he?

And also, "geeky socially awkward super powered hero" doesn't describe Oliver Queen.

Does anyone else get the feel that someone watched every episode of Arrow and Flash and said let's do Supergirl just like this. Geeky socially awkward super powered hero. Check. Interracial love/family interest. Check. Coming to grips on how to use your powers/fight crime. Check.

It's almost like the same producers produce all three shows...

I'm sorry, but this looks like garbage. I'll stick to Agent Carter next season for my female-led CBTV show.

PS: What the heck happened to Calista Flockhart's face?

I'm sorry, but this looks like garbage. I'll stick to Agent Carter next season for my female-led CBTV show.

Now, while it does look less superhero and more romcom, I'm not tossing it on the No Pile until I at least give it an episode or two.

PS: What the heck happened to Calista Flockhart's face?

Lots of money + Getting Old + Access to multiple plastic surgeons.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back