Lifecast in something harder than Ultracal

Junklady

Ugh, I feel dumb for asking this, because I feel like the answer is in front of my face and I just can't find it.

I've completed 3 lifecasts of my friend's face and I'm preparing to do a full head cast this weekend, but I don't want to use Ultracal 30. All three have broken in one way other another. So, I'm looking for a harder material and the method of which to use it.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a video or other post, I would be greatly appreciative. I also have the Special Makeup Effects book 2nd Edition by Todd Debreceni and if it's there and I just can't find it, I could always use a page # to look at.

Thank you!

You could also use epoxy, and back it up with free form air for a nice light head casting. I agree that buzzkill's way is the best way, and makes it so you can take many castings from that mold. But if you go that way I would do a plaster cast out of the alginate mold, make sure it's a nice accurate mold, clean it up, and then do the silicone mold.

If you weigh and mix your ultracal properly it will be very durable. Ultracal is best mixed at 35ml to 100grams water. I weigh it in 1000gram batches. If you add an acrylic strengthened like Acryl 60 with a mix of 100 Acryl-250 water-1000 stone and mechanically mix it with a flat disc for 5 min it will be like steel.

If you weigh and mix your ultracal properly it will be very durable. Ultracal is best mixed at 35ml to 100grams water. I weigh it in 1000gram batches. If you add an acrylic strengthened like Acryl 60 with a mix of 100 Acryl-250 water-1000 stone and mechanically mix it with a flat disc for 5 min it will be like steel.

I agree. If you're having issues with Ultra being fragile, I'd have to first ask if you're sure you're mixing everything in the correct amounts per the instructions.

I mostly break them because I mess up everything the first, second, or third time. First I didn't use the correctly sealer and releaser. Then I didn't have a proper method of opening it and the third time I can't remember what happened, but I broke off the nose ...probably a releasing problem. Now I have learned from my mistakes, I am waaaaaay more confident. I'm also wanting to try out different materials and methods...the more advance techniques.

Try again, fail better is my motto.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back