12th Doctor Crombie

CaptChunkyChew

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a budget alternative to Peter Capaldi's red lined crombie coat from series 8, just wondering if anyone could offer any help?
Thanks
CaptChunkyChew

For about £100 you could go to a website called itailor and make an overcoat that's incredibly close. The biggest problem with it is that the lining doesn't go right to the edge like Capaldi's coat so it's a lot less visible. Here's a picture of one that thorneyboy had made up (all image credit goes to him):

Alternately, if you can wait till 2015 AbbyShot will be releasing a licensed replica which will be a lot more accurate but also more expensive.

Judging by the price of Eleven's purple frock coat, expect to pay around 400 Canadian Dollars for it.
How difficult would it be to mod the itailor offering? Could it simply be a case of buying some red lining and extending it towards the edge? (Please excuse me if I'm being naïve here, simple button sewing is how far my tailoring knowledge extends to.) Still, it's a very good possibility for a cosplay (or even everyday) ensemble.

Itailor looks great. I've been having some fun playing with that. From what I've been able to find through google searches, the coats seem good.

I'm not sure but I think you can choose the length of the coat as well if you send your own measurements, so it could be a good way of getting a quick and dirty Tennant styled coat and 11's green coat.

I forgot to mention the Chinese cosplay companies do their own replicas of the coat too. The lining does go right to the edge but they’d probably be more of a costume piece than an everyday coat. Steve Ricks discussed them in his blog:

http://twelfthdoctorcostume.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-capaldi-look-tssy2005-crombie.html

You can specify the coat’s length on iTailor but while they would make a good Capaldi coat they wouldn’t be a patch on the competition for a Tennant or Smith coat. Tssy2005 also does a Tennant coat that’s miles more accurate and cheaper than anything that iTailor could make. As for the green coat I have seen some very similar greatcoats (the Belgian Army greatcoat being a good example) on eBay and in military surplus stores for very little considering the quality they are made to.

yeah. I think i'm just going to either do an Itailor or save my pennies for a magnoli, as i can customize it and get it in black. it is for my own "fan film" incarnation.

There’s always the option of getting the iTailor one and having the lining replaced by a local tailor or seamstress to be more accurate. It’d be a lot less expensive than the Magnoli version.

Also, iTailor’s website doesn’t have the option to put a lapel buttonhole on the coat like Capaldi’s has but if you specifically ask them they will apparently put one in. Unfortunately, despite several requests, they won’t do the lining all the way to the edge.

You can specify the coat’s length on iTailor but while they would make a good Capaldi coat they wouldn’t be a patch on the competition for a Tennant or Smith coat. Tssy2005 also does a Tennant coat that’s miles more accurate and cheaper than anything that iTailor could make. As for the green coat I have seen some very similar greatcoats (the Belgian Army greatcoat being a good example) on eBay and in military surplus stores for very little considering the quality they are made to.

Oh, no doubt. The competition out there is great. I have a Steve Ricks Tennant coat that is amazing. Expensive, but worth every penny. He's damned good at what he does.

Glad to hear iTailor let you specify a length. Capaldi's coat is to short from my liking, I generally prefer something knee length or better yet, a couple of inches further.

I was just looking at the Itailor site and building this jacket, not necessarily going to get it right at the moment as I have others I'm working on right now but how is the weight of it? In general or as best can be compared to the actual thing. Really wish they could just do that lining to the edge lol.

I was just looking at the Itailor site and building this jacket, not necessarily going to get it right at the moment as I have others I'm working on right now but how is the weight of it? In general or as best can be compared to the actual thing. Really wish they could just do that lining to the edge lol.

Itailor can do the lining to the edge if you ask them. I also asked for the red sleeve button, but they did the buttonhole in red instead. I can live with it, though.

Not sure how to compare the weight to the original, but it doesn't feel cheap/lightweight.

crombie.jpg

Here's a pic of the lining on my iTailor crombie.

Watching this on two forums lol but I wonder if the lining could be extended to edge as above but still leaving the narrow trim where it's stitched between the buttons and edge navy/black similar like the screen one appears to be? Minor thing and they may not be able to anyway, just curious.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back