Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have inquired a good friend of mine that is skilled in clothing making to work with me on creating Marty's Guess jacket and Class 5 vest. The jacket will be a splice of two existing Guess jackets and the vest will be completely hand made. I will ship the two jackets to her in about a month to start the project.

$_3.JPG

This is the base jacket. I got it for $60 on ebay. It has the wrong pockets, no elastic waist, and needs the leather pieces replaced with denim.
$_3.JPG

This jacket will be used for the pockets, elastic waist to extend the length of the base jacket because it's too short, scrap fabric for the shoulder pieces and collar to go on the base jacket, and for anything that needs to be patched up. I got it for $24 on ebay.

The first step in this will be to remove all the color from the base jacket and redye it to a lighter grey. The pockets from it will be removed and replaced by the pockets from the second. Then the leather parts will be removed and used as templates for the blue denim from the second jacket. The elastic waist will also be attatched. Basically everything that is needed comes from the second jacket so no other items are needed.

I have contacted Magnoli and an ebay seller for the paisley lining so we'll see how that goes.

Now since the vest will be custom made by my friend I do not know all the steps for it, but I did give her some reference pictures and tips and finally found a picture of the real thing. It's like if you took the Head Goonie and Magnoli vests and combined them.
marty-mcfly-puffer-vest-176504_575510640729_1318761126_o-jpg-346552d1404759479

Last edited:
From my limited knowlage of sewing and working with used clothes, I think it might be impossible to remove the pockets from your leather piece jacket without leaving huge holes in it. Also as it's an old jacket, the fabric would be very different color AND strenght in the places where it's been worn off. Does that make sense?

I mean, I hope you can pull it off, I really do, but I think you'd get much better results starting with new fabrics and using the jackets you have as patterns. :)

From my limited knowlage of sewing and working with used clothes, I think it might be impossible to remove the pockets from your leather piece jacket without leaving huge holes in it. Also as it's an old jacket, the fabric would be very different color AND strenght in the places where it's been worn off. Does that make sense?

I mean, I hope you can pull it off, I really do, but I think you'd get much better results starting with new fabrics and using the jackets you have as patterns. :)
10644453_10202881244980203_8190204828094077172_o.jpg

I already removed one of the pockets and there isn't just a big hole there. Just normal denim underneath. The thing I'm worrying about is the zipper. That will be a little difficult to patch up.

Last edited:
And here are pictures of an original Class-5 vest that was listed on eBay a few months ago. The only differences to Marty's vest are the color (of course) and one missing horizontal seam at the level of the top button (on the front and back side of the vest and on the inside above the label).

ebay_vest_01.jpg ebay_vest_02.jpg ebay_vest_03.jpg

ebay_vest_04.jpg ebay_vest_05.jpg

I recieved the other jacket from my girlfriend since she came down to Arkansas to see me. I removed the pockets and elastic waist from it. It was surprsingly easy. I guess (haha) it being about 30 years old does that to stitching lol.

It's a very rough representation right now. The next step will be to remove all the color from the jacket, new pockets, and waist to get it all uniform. Then redye it all to the right grey with a slight blue tint.
10425410_10202892849830317_391495995115060206_n.jpg

The pocket flaps will most likely have to me redone completely from the blue scrap denim from the second jacket so I don't have to find a matching dye.

If someone is good at photoshop or other picture editing programs, I'd appreciate it if you could make the pocket flaps, inside of the collar, and the shoulder pieces blue. Just so I can get a ballpark of how it will look.

Last edited:
I just read that rit dye remover does not remove dyes usually used on denim so I've decided to use bleach instead. I know I have to be carefull though because bleach weakens fabric.

I was looking for dyes today for the grey part of the denim after I bleach it and found out that the Rit dye company offers custom dyes you can request through email. Just describe the color and provide a picture. I hope to hear from them soon.

I requested a dye to match the blue denim I am using also. There are white streaks on the back blue part of the jacket. I want to dye the denim the same color that it is to make everything match.

Last edited:
A little update on the actual jacket. There were leather straps on the waist that needed to be removed and also the triangle Guess logo patch. So I did that. I'm going to leave the leather pieces ond for now and let my friend remove and replicate them in denim. They are sewn intricately on there and I don't want to mess anything up.

My friend said she plans on removing sections on the front above the pockets and replacing them to get rid of the zipper holes. This will also allow for the folded stitching above the pockets to be added.
10689714_10202900678586031_4691465743527064902_n.jpg

Last edited:
So change of plans. Me and my friend have decided that all the changes we want to do made it so it would be a better idea to just make a jacket from scratch. Other things became too complicated as well. My main jacket is the correct general shape and fits well so the jacket will be deconstructed and be used for patterns.

Last edited:
I love that you're doing this, MitasTouch! One of my all time favorite jackets. It's the closest thing to having an original.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back