Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Aug 29, 2014, 11:53 PM - Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #1

I have inquired a good friend of mine that is skilled in clothing making to work with me on creating Marty's Guess jacket and Class 5 vest. The jacket will be a splice of two existing Guess jackets and the vest will be completely hand made. I will ship the two jackets to her in about a month to start the project.

This is the base jacket. I got it for $60 on ebay. It has the wrong pockets, no elastic waist, and needs the leather pieces replaced with denim.

This jacket will be used for the pockets, elastic waist to extend the length of the base jacket because it's too short, scrap fabric for the shoulder pieces and collar to go on the base jacket, and for anything that needs to be patched up. I got it for $24 on ebay.

The first step in this will be to remove all the color from the base jacket and redye it to a lighter grey. The pockets from it will be removed and replaced by the pockets from the second. Then the leather parts will be removed and used as templates for the blue denim from the second jacket. The elastic waist will also be attatched. Basically everything that is needed comes from the second jacket so no other items are needed.

I have contacted Magnoli and an ebay seller for the paisley lining so we'll see how that goes.

Now since the vest will be custom made by my friend I do not know all the steps for it, but I did give her some reference pictures and tips and finally found a picture of the real thing. It's like if you took the Head Goonie and Magnoli vests and combined them.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Aug 30, 2014 at 12:19 AM.
  2. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Aug 30, 2014, 3:42 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #2

From my limited knowlage of sewing and working with used clothes, I think it might be impossible to remove the pockets from your leather piece jacket without leaving huge holes in it. Also as it's an old jacket, the fabric would be very different color AND strenght in the places where it's been worn off. Does that make sense?

I mean, I hope you can pull it off, I really do, but I think you'd get much better results starting with new fabrics and using the jackets you have as patterns.
  3. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Aug 30, 2014, 10:43 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #3

VilleLeskinen said: View Post
    From my limited knowlage of sewing and working with used clothes, I think it might be impossible to remove the pockets from your leather piece jacket without leaving huge holes in it. Also as it's an old jacket, the fabric would be very different color AND strenght in the places where it's been worn off. Does that make sense?

I mean, I hope you can pull it off, I really do, but I think you'd get much better results starting with new fabrics and using the jackets you have as patterns.

I already removed one of the pockets and there isn't just a big hole there. Just normal denim underneath. The thing I'm worrying about is the zipper. That will be a little difficult to patch up.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Aug 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
  4. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Aug 30, 2014, 10:55 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #4

That's what I meant. Should have wrote that removing the zippers will leave huge holes in the jacket.
  5. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Aug 30, 2014, 11:33 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #5

That's what I meant. Should have wrote that removing the zippers will leave huge holes in the jacket.
    I trust my friend to do her best on those areas. I removed the other pocket and both zippers just now. Less work for her to do.
  6. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Aug 30, 2014, 12:05 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #6

MitasTouch said: View Post
    ... and finally found a picture of the real thing. ...
    Here are all five pictures, if you need it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1z2pxy9.jpg 
Views:	10100 
Size:	445.0 KB 
ID:	369976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2untsnp.jpg 
Views:	10841 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	369977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35cg2lh.jpg 
Views:	12698 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	369978  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e19so4.jpg 
Views:	10676 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	369979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ta6iox.jpg 
Views:	10693 
Size:	404.0 KB 
ID:	369980  
  7. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #7

8. Whoa, this is heavy. RPF Premium Member Roland's Avatar
    From
    Kehl, Germany
    Aug 30, 2014, 12:43 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #8

And here are pictures of an original Class-5 vest that was listed on eBay a few months ago. The only differences to Marty's vest are the color (of course) and one missing horizontal seam at the level of the top button (on the front and back side of the vest and on the inside above the label).

Name:	ebay_vest_01.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	369987 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay_vest_02.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	369988 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay_vest_03.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	369989

Name:	ebay_vest_04.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	369990 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay_vest_05.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	369991
  9. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Aug 30, 2014, 12:56 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #9

The costume designers for the movies must have really wanted it to be basically impossible for people to obtain the items.
  10. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Aug 30, 2014, 1:06 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #10

I think these were in fact picked locally as both were LA brands. I doubt they thought about us having trouble finding the items almost 30 years later.
  11. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 1, 2014, 11:25 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #11

I recieved the other jacket from my girlfriend since she came down to Arkansas to see me. I removed the pockets and elastic waist from it. It was surprsingly easy. I guess (haha) it being about 30 years old does that to stitching lol.

It's a very rough representation right now. The next step will be to remove all the color from the jacket, new pockets, and waist to get it all uniform. Then redye it all to the right grey with a slight blue tint.

The pocket flaps will most likely have to me redone completely from the blue scrap denim from the second jacket so I don't have to find a matching dye.

If someone is good at photoshop or other picture editing programs, I'd appreciate it if you could make the pocket flaps, inside of the collar, and the shoulder pieces blue. Just so I can get a ballpark of how it will look.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Sep 1, 2014 at 2:19 PM.
  12. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 1, 2014, 5:56 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #12

I just read that rit dye remover does not remove dyes usually used on denim so I've decided to use bleach instead. I know I have to be carefull though because bleach weakens fabric.
  13. RPF Premium Member EmmaInCandyland's Avatar
    From
    France & Scotland
    Sep 1, 2014, 6:21 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #13

Something like this? It's a bit rough sorry lol

14. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 1, 2014, 6:33 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #14

EmmaInCandyland said: View Post
    Something like this? It's a bit rough sorry lol

http://s30.postimg.org/j9f8h80gx/104...15060206_n.jpg
    Wow yes! Thank you Emma
  15. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #15

I was looking for dyes today for the grey part of the denim after I bleach it and found out that the Rit dye company offers custom dyes you can request through email. Just describe the color and provide a picture. I hope to hear from them soon.

I requested a dye to match the blue denim I am using also. There are white streaks on the back blue part of the jacket. I want to dye the denim the same color that it is to make everything match.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Sep 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM.
  16. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 1, 2014, 10:15 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #16

A little update on the actual jacket. There were leather straps on the waist that needed to be removed and also the triangle Guess logo patch. So I did that. I'm going to leave the leather pieces ond for now and let my friend remove and replicate them in denim. They are sewn intricately on there and I don't want to mess anything up.
  17. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 2, 2014, 6:26 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #17

My friend said she plans on removing sections on the front above the pockets and replacing them to get rid of the zipper holes. This will also allow for the folded stitching above the pockets to be added.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Sep 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM.
  18. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 2, 2014, 8:24 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #18

So change of plans. Me and my friend have decided that all the changes we want to do made it so it would be a better idea to just make a jacket from scratch. Other things became too complicated as well. My main jacket is the correct general shape and fits well so the jacket will be deconstructed and be used for patterns.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
  19. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Sep 3, 2014, 12:09 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #19

Sorry to hear! But, I'm sure with the real jacket patterns, it's gonna be one amazing jacket!
    From
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Sep 3, 2014, 2:59 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #20

I love that you're doing this, MitasTouch! One of my all time favorite jackets. It's the closest thing to having an original.
  21. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 3, 2014, 3:39 PM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #21

Sorry to hear! But, I'm sure with the real jacket patterns, it's gonna be one amazing jacket!
    Well its more of a good thing that it will be a completely new jacket. It will hold up longer than this 30 year old jacket lol. Plus it will look cleaner and I won't have to mess with fading and dying it. It was a better decision.

When I go home on leave I will go to mylpcal Joanne's fabric store and get all the denim and other materials for the jacket and vest.
    Last edited by MitasTouch; Sep 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM.
    Sep 16, 2014, 2:50 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #22

I used to have a very similar jacket. That was too big for me, so I just let it go though. I still had a picture in my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	377211  
    Last edited by SS3000; Feb 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM.
  23. RPF Premium Member MitasTouch's Avatar
    From
    Saint Peters, Missouri
    Sep 16, 2014, 7:25 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #23

Its really tough to find the right color denim fabric. If I don't find it at my local fabric store then I will have to cancel the project.
  24. RPF Premium Member EmmaInCandyland's Avatar
    From
    France & Scotland
    Sep 16, 2014, 8:44 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #24

SS3000 said: View Post
    I used to have a very similar jacket. That was too big for me, so I just let it go though. I still had a picture in my phone.

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	377211
    Wow, you should have kept it! Looks it could be the one they used for the movie!! Looks amazing x)
  25. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Sep 16, 2014, 11:03 AM - Re: Back to the Future Marty McFly Denim Jacket and Vest #25

MitasTouch said: View Post
    Its really tough to find the right color denim fabric. If I don't find it at my local fabric store then I will have to cancel the project.
    Ebay or Etsy might have some old deadstock denim fabric?