American Pickers- Astronaut figure

robn1

Master Member
Last night's episode "Rocket Man" had a large scale astronaut puppet, about two feet tall, that was said to be from a 60s movie. It looked like an Apollo era suit, the helmet was missing. Did anyone see it, and have any idea what movie it was from? It doesn't look familiar to me. There weren't very many films from that time depicting a NASA style suit, except maybe Marooned but it didn't quite look right for that one.

Maybe, "Apollo 13" ?
Oops the movie I mentioned was from 1995.
That prop was from the '60s.
Can't wait to see what movie it was in.

Last edited:
I just can't think of anything from that time. It would be a film with a NASA Apollo type suit, and had effects shots with a puppet figure.

Planet of the Apes?

planet-of-the-apes.jpg

I don't think Apes a scene where puppets were used, unless it was a cut scene. The figure has a chest mounted camera like seen in NASA moon photos. No helmet but an Apollo style "Snoopy" cap. Sorry I didn't record the show so I have no pics of it.

No. I was making a little joke re: the folks who are convinced that we never landed on the moon and that the whole thing was faked in a Hollywood studio…

I think CB was making a joke too ;)

It's possible the owner was mistaken about the time period. Or he made it up to inflate it's value, it sold for $400. If it was from a movie it wasn't some low budget schlock, it was too well made. Mike said the suit felt like leather.

This is a shot in the dark without having seen the puppet in question...

But maybe the opening space sequence of "You Only Live Twice"?

Kevin

This is a shot in the dark without having seen the puppet in question...

But maybe the opening space sequence of "You Only Live Twice"?

Kevin

I hadn't thought of that one. I just checked it out and no. It has a Gemini EVA type suit with a big chest pack. This was much more Apollo like, no chest pack just a camera.

I'm really stumped on this. I can't think of any films from the time that had realistic Apollo suits and EVA effects shots, except Marooned but that seems to be all done full scale.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, anything helps even if it's only to jog my memory.

Lots of stuff with GI Joes in silver suits though.

Like I said I didn't record it, but it's on the History site now. These aren't great quality but I hope they will help.
01.JPG09.JPG08.JPG07.JPG06.JPG05.JPG04.JPG03.JPG02.JPG10.JPG

I automatically thought it looked like the American astronaut figure from the twilight zone episode The Invaders from the 1960s. But they had helmets in the episode.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back