Rita Vrataski's vest

curgoth

After seeing Edge of Tomorrow, my GF decided that she needs to be Rita Vrataski for Halloween, from her workout scene (the one where she does a planche). She's going to take care of getting the sword and the arm muscles, and I've agreed to make the vest.

From what I can see, the front is a series of straps sewn on to a mesh base - you can see through the fabric under the straps to the skin and bra underneath.

vest-front.JPG

My question is, what kind of fabric is that? Clearly not something like fishnet, if the straps are sewn to it.

I'm fairly certain what they did was take a Condor MCR1 and deconstruct the hell out of it or made patterns from it - http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-MCR1.aspx

If you move the straps up to the top of the chest piece, the shape becomes pretty spot on. I found a utility mesh that looks like a great fit for the mesh they used as backing (right hole space) at Joann's but it's white. I haven't tried to poly-dye it yet but I think it would work with the boil method and Jacquards iDye Poly.

I also grabbed a Condor MCR4. Although less accurate it would require less modding than the MCR1 but still have the same feel. Just another option.

I look forward to see progress pictures! :)

I'm fairly certain what they did was take a Condor MCR1 and deconstruct the hell out of it or made patterns from it - http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-MCR1.aspx

If you move the straps up to the top of the chest piece, the shape becomes pretty spot on. I found a utility mesh that looks like a great fit for the mesh they used as backing (right hole space) at Joann's but it's white. I haven't tried to poly-dye it yet but I think it would work with the boil method and Jacquards iDye Poly.

I also grabbed a Condor MCR4. Although less accurate it would require less modding than the MCR1 but still have the same feel. Just another option.

I look forward to see progress pictures! :)

Damn, that looks to be about it! Now for the trawling of ebay!

So, ebay and international shipping were not our friends. About 3 weeks ago we realized that the vest we ordered wasn't going to come in in time for Halloween. I threw together a quick vest using the sort of mesh that shows up in sports jerseys and nylon cordura. Pics to follow once the woman who did the *real* hard work signs off on posting. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back