Back to the Future Marty McFly Puffy Vest Color BTTF

Well this is super unexpected. I found this for $74 on etsy in my size. Bought it as soon as I saw it.
10734132_10203423224729358_4615285985400655141_n.jpg

10698654_10203423258530203_2564490740097410076_n.jpg

I have a friend back home that will put the extra stitching on the front and back and take out the buttons on the collar. I'll have the task of recoloring it.

Just like to chime in and say ready-made sizes of the Marty denim jacket on Magnoli would be great too [specially if it made them a little cheaper]

If you need good pictures of an (almost) accurate jacket, you can use these ones from an old eBay listing, which I already posted in another thread. The stitch at the top snap is also missing here and the color of the vest is wrong, but the pictures are still usefull. One of the pictures is a good close-up of the material of the vest.

ebay_vest_05.jpg ebay_vest_04.jpg ebay_vest_02.jpg ebay_vest_03.jpg ebay_vest_01.jpg

I'm thinking about reselling the vest I got once I alter it to go towards a more accurate Magnoli vest when they come out.

The material of the recent auction and the one Roland just posted are completely different. The former is a cotton/poly blend, the latter is 100% nylon.

Hey guys,
This thread caught my eyes, very interesting.
I actually own two class-5 vests. One is exact same as Marty (burnt orange, size M) which is I’m hanging in a showcase and another one is same shape but in green color. (size M too) I am pretty sure that Michael J Fox was wearing size M in the movie, because as you guys are mentioning smaller size which is “S” doesn’t have a line of stitch at the top and the width between the top stitch and shoulder in “L” is slightly wider than size M has. Also, I am almost same height with Michael; wearing the green one in daily and it’s perfect sizing for me.

The vest is obviously one of my best BTTF piece, so I don’t even touch it. Therefore if there is a great replica that I can wear would be great. I know two Japanese companies also have made replicas, but I could spot some things not quite well, especially the color people are discussing here.

So I’m curious if Indy Magnoli or the Japanese company can produce a better one with a better pattern. That would be great if the pattern is based on M. I don’t want to scrap even my green one to measure, but I can scan every single parts on a flat surface in a real size. (my only concern is that if the shape, for example pockets are copyrighted, because Class-5 is still existing today. Does anyone know? I’ll research on that though.) For the color, I can spot pantone with the orange vest if you need.

Send me a private message if anyone is interested in working on it together. I’m not thinking to make money to do it, but if the maker can give me a finished sample vest would be just wonderful enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
This thread caught my eyes, very interesting.
I actually own two class-5 vests. One is exact same as Marty (burnt orange, size M) which is I’m hanging in a showcase and another one is same shape but in green color. (size M too) I am pretty sure that Michael J Fox was wearing size M in the movie, because as you guys are mentioning smaller size which is “S” doesn’t have a line of stitch at the top and the width between the top stitch and shoulder in “L” is slightly wider than size M has. Also, I am almost same height with Michael; wearing the green one in daily and it’s perfect sizing for me.

The vest is obviously one of my best BTTF piece, so I don’t even touch it. Therefore if there is a great replica that I can wear would be great. I know two Japanese companies also have made replicas, but I could spot some things not quite well, especially the color people are discussing here.

So I’m curious if Indy Magnoli or the Japanese company can produce a better one with a better pattern. That would be great if the pattern is based on M. I don’t want to scrap even my green one to measure, but I can scan every single parts on a flat surface in a real size. (my only concern is that if the shape, for example pockets are copyrighted, because Class-5 is still existing today. Does anyone know? I’ll research on that though.) For the color, I can spot pantone with the orange vest if you need.

Send me a private message if anyone is interested in working on it together. I’m not thinking to make money to do it, but if the maker can give me a finished sample vest would be just wonderful enough.

I believe Class-5 went out of business some time ago so we're good. Anything that is for sale with their brand is vintage. And I believe the Japanese company you speak of is Head Goonie? They haven't had stock of the vests for at least a year. Maybe more. No sign of them making more. Indy Magnoli is in the works of creating new vests wih the new pictures that have come out. But more pictures with actual measurements are sure to help him imensely.

I believe Class-5 went out of business some time ago so we're good. Anything that is for sale with their brand is vintage.
I am not sure about their exact situation now, but I know they are still producing their products basically in Japan and also collaborating with a Japanese clothing brand as a double-name project.

I am not sure about their exact situation now, but I know they are still producing their products basically in Japan and also collaborating with a Japanese clothing brand as a double-name project.

I doubt they will be upset about a replica of a piece of clothing that has been discontinued for 30 years.

Last edited:
Tons! Completely updated version to be released soon... ;)

Excellent! I'm looking forwar to see the finished product. It will definitely be a self birthday present next year lol. Perhaps a new thread should be created for this since this thread was originally just for the color of the vest.

I bought another vest on ebay that I also plan to mod into a decent Marty vest.
1896935_10203450091201003_4855642915525261070_n.jpg

Both vests are a poly cotton blend and a product exists that gets color out of polyester and the same company makes dye for it. My friend with sewing skills will create accurate pockets from fabric I found that has the same polyester and cotton content.

Now this vest, like the other one, needs the extra stitch lines at the top of the front and back, and the collar altered by removing the buttons and to be more rounded, but it also needs the second to last button removed. And I hope this isn't too much, but would anyone mind photoshopping this picture to the correct dark orange and right pockets?

Last edited:
Tons! Completely updated version to be released soon... ;)

Hey, how’s it going? Any update?—I’m looking forward to see how you use the specs I gave you and have the prototype after you’ve done!

Was the color I specified very different from your previous one?

Don't worry, I'll post an update as soon as I have something worth posting. The color seems a little more red than I expected.

Don't worry, I'll post an update as soon as I have something worth posting. The color seems a little more red than I expected.

Good to hear. I’ll stay tuned.
Yeah, I think that is why many fans have been discussing about the color. It’s actually pretty deep color and it looks more red under low light, but looks orange in daylight.

Indy Magnoli, when the final vest is finished, will pictures of it paired with the jacket be posted?

And this is a little unrelated, but I just wanted to say that it is incredibly difficult to source correct burnt orange fabric. Props to you for finding it. Or do you have it custom ordered?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back