Star Lord Build from scratch-ish...

What did you use to make the mold? The color and opacity kind of looked like you were using silicone caulking. That could explain the lack of the shine on the casting, the caulking silicone won't pick up as nice of a surface to transfer. Also it's more likely to stick to whatever you're casting and pull out little bits and chunks of it if it's soft.

Hey, thanks for the response, Zlurpo
Nope...it wasn't caulking silicone. I was using Dermasil body casting Silicone with a black pigment. I've since been educated regarding the joys of using a urethane material, instead because....surprise! Silicone doesn't take PAINT. (grrrr...friggin' Douglas & Sturges sales rep didn't tell me this the first time, so now I'm out fifty bucks) It's not like I won't use the remainder for making molds for greeblies and the like. Oh, I *did* use a spray-on releasing agent, ('something-or-other-200'), but I'm told that the first thing you make in a mold is usually a 'throw away, anyway. Here's a shot of the stuff I made the patch with...
Dermasil.jpg

Dermasil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't mean what did you cast the patch in, I mean what did you make the mold out of. Were the mold and the patch both made from the body silicone?

Sorry for the delay - I used Tap Plastics 'Platinim Silicon' parts A & B

- - - Updated - - -

Progress...
Here's the first peek...I just sewed the holster leather to the pants and while you can't tell by looking at it, they feel a ton better. Trimming the belt made it look less like a wrestling trophy and the gun mount is still weak; (could use a mechanical clip that holds it to my leg better) Lastly, the helmet needs more magnets, (6 more are en-route), to keep it secure on my head, but overall, this is the look...sans the blue shirt I'm working on tomorrow.
Star Lord first peek.JPG

Star Lord first peek.JPG

Thanks to @joatrash for getting these to me! for reference, this zipper will likely be used in the creation of my vest as it is only 50cm in length and the jacket's zipper is 62cm long.
View attachment 385735 View attachment 385739
View attachment 385740View attachment 385741
I have found a supplier who will get me the length I need as well as the two accent zippers and their appropriate length for the back of the thighs on the pants I'm building.
View attachment 385742
OK, bringing this back from the dead.... So can someone please tell me where I can find some of these things? I'm having the hardest time finding the seal for the arm and the zipper.

Looking at getting the fake leather version of the Vol. 1 trench coat... Has anyone who is 5'10" tall purchased this one? If so, how's the length? I intend to make a pattern and replace all the panels with a leather skin I have over here... Also, planning to go CRAZY screen accurate from proper leathers, lining, hardware...all the way down to the blast marks on the rear panels which can be seen on the CRAZY detailed Hot Toys maquette. (Yes, I need psychological help) ...but I'll take tips, hints and suggestions, especially when it comes to ALL the hardware bits. I'll be putting more info in the comments, below and I look forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance
EBAY LINK:
Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Trench Coat[/h]
(The two Carabiners are a bitch to find...any help, here?)
Reference.png Front left placards.jpg2015-02-10113910_zps48db44c8.jpg

2015-02-10113941_zps2b0843ef.jpg2015-02-10113952_zps2512aadb.jpgTrench coat BACK FULL DETAIL.jpg

Reference.png

2015-02-10113910_zps48db44c8.jpg

2015-02-10113941_zps2b0843ef.jpg

2015-02-10113952_zps2512aadb.jpg

Front left placards.jpg

Trench coat BACK FULL DETAIL.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back