Star Lord Build from scratch-ish...

After two hours of relentless clicking on Craigslist, I have found that in all of the United States, Canada and the UK one cannot fine a Sony Walkman TPS L2. Figured I could try.
Here was my search criterion: "Sony Walkman -CD -MP3 -FM -Disc -wanted -16GB -5GB" I did, manage to find a guy in New Jersey willing to sell me the headsets from his Walkman for $25. And they're close-enough for me to mod a little thing to connect to the space just above one of the ear pieces to make it look like an MDR-3L2...oh, and some silver paint...
Vintage headset.JPG

Last edited:
I'm guessing the mesh back to the vest is function since a vest plus the long cost must be crazy hot to wear on set all day running around.

The corduroy in pic 2 is pretty close to the real stuff. If you dye that canvas in the same pic flat black, especially if you can get rid of the warm tone, it'll be perfect. Where did you get that stuff? The denim in the third pic is dark, but the stuff on the real pants is actually very slightly waxed, it's a bit shiny, and super thin.
The holster panels are thin lambskin with embossed designs (you can check out my build thread for a quick tutorial) and an edge binding. Definitely the hardest part to make.
EDIT: Also, as for the vest. The grey straps on there are definitely the same ones on the pants and jacket, it's heavy weight grey 1" elastic. It's hard to tell, but I think that back panel might be the same mesh they used to line the short jacket.
Oh, and the back of the pants right above the boots is horizontal lines of top stitching, like the diagonal ones on the pockets.

and

Yeah, Staar Lord Maan! Please provide the store and catalog information so that people can order the fabric you found.

Thanks for the color information! So far as where I got the gray stuff to which you were referring, It was given to me in the mid to late 90's, sorry... Do you have a link you can shoot me for that build thread. btw? PM is fine...

That fabric in his second pic looks more like a pinstripe than corduroy.

I went to a Good Will and found the fattest pair of black cords I could find, took them home and cut a nice fillet out of each leg, heh! The back of those cords is seen in the first picture, (the left side)

More on the fabric and a question on the leather... (got it on sale, despite what I say in the video...I think I got it cheap?)

(From time-stamp 2:02....ish...)

Chris Pratt as Star Lord_Running with beer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually not sure that there is a stitch pattern on the leather strips. It may just be the back side of the stained leather. I zoomed into a higher resolution image I have and I didn't see any stitch patterns in it. Personally, I'm thinking of leaving out the lining on my own coat. It's one less step, less on material, and may hopefully keep it ever so slightly cooler. RumDqna.jpg

Ahhh, now I see it. The cross hatch pattern in there fooled me! Well thank god for that! All I need to do is scorch a little or rub something into that side get that color. Alexadre Byrne, where are you?! :lol
Trench detail.jpg

Okay, so I've taken the plunge and bought the Star Lord 'Real Leather' jacket, but I've not yet paid for it because the eBay auction didn't provide me a way of telling them what size I am before clicking on the purchase button....which I pressed...it was PayPal...oh wait! I can leave them a note there, but I still need to know if when someone says something is:
"HI-QUALITY SUPERB 100% REAL LEATHER" that it really is ;) (the font was much bigger on the auction) One more thing, Risu I got the liquid RIT dye in Black. I'll be doing this in my home washing machine for just that one pair of pants. (yes, running an empty bleach l load afterwards). Should I do the whole garment when I'm done or dye the fabrics first?

Hello again, everyone, I thought I'd offer up a section on the VEST because while I was responding to @Bloop 's thread on *his* vest build, I posted this very series of images, but I wanted to share it to those following this build. He was hoping to get a better image of the back of it, so I went into Photoshop and did some cropping and levels adjustments on Peter Quill's vest for him. These may look familiar, but they make for a better print out, (if you do that kind of thing for reference shots as you work), because the flourescent lights cast a yellowish hue over everything in the shot, so I fixed it. These are from Chris Pratt's visit to Children's Hospital Los Angeles and are the only ones that show the back of this vest, to my knowledge. If any of you have high resolution closeups of this piece, feel free and add them to the comment stream. Thanks! Enjoy! :D

So.....

This is a 300 dpi image adjusted the levels for brightness and I zoomed into it as much as I could so you could see the texture of the 'mesh'

A GREAT shot of the entire back

and details on the front...

This last one High Resolution and I included it because, to me, it points out what I suspect Alexandre Byrne was thinking when she did this piece...(and yes, that video link on her name is rife with high resolution imagery....keep your finger on the pause/print screen button when you watch it ;))

(Now if you all don't mind, this is me cracking the door to where the crazed and out of control writer inside in my mind lives):

See how that zipper doesn't quite line up at the top? That, all by itself, speaks volumes about how she perceived a part of Peter Quill's life in his latter years in space. While the Northern California Renaissance Fair was in full swing up here in the San Francisco Bay Area, before they allowed us onto the site in our costumes, we had to take a three weekend 'training course' to get our gate passes. Part of it was 'Why we look the way we do' and what I pulled from that class, (and it's stuck to this day), is that every part of your costume mus tell a story. If someone walks up and points to something, like a panel of fabric that's out of place, you should be able to rattle off a story about how you got it, where you got it, if it was a gift from your mother or if, it was something you won in a bar bet...etc...

With all that said, I look at this vest and think of it's origin, and then beyond that, what all the bits and bobs attached to it mean. Here's my take....Perhaps he made this himself and is just bad at crafting? Probably not...so I like to suspect that picked this up at a fuel outpost on the outer periphery of this quadrant as he, Kraglin, Yondu and the rest were at the bar and there was a street vendor who was still in the process of making a full jacket and he just haggled the guy down from 500 credits to 100 because it wasn't even finished...and that it kind of sucked. Or perhaps made from the pelt of a rare alien animal who's hide is actually red like that, who knows....but that there are imperfections designed into this thing gives me insight into the life of the person who made it or even Peter himself.

All the bits and bobs? Trophies/badges of how many times he's gotten out of bad situations, perhaps?

Hey all, sorry, work's being a total TOOL of late, cutting in to my precious time posting stuff here.

This time, I'd like to draw your attention to your ankles and have a look at this image.

Parts for my rockets.JPG

"1/2" PVC Expansion Repair Coupling" <----This might this do in a pinch - you know....when that one guy with that one design has that one 3D printer that went down and you absolutely need something to put on your boots?
@Capn_Jack_Savvy I hope this helps answer your question from that PM :)

Last edited:
This post intentionally left stupidly blank because I accidentally double posted...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pabulum.

Last edited:
Sorry I've not been here posting as prolifically as I had when I started my build. Just waiting on a few more things to hit my mail box before i can start digging into this, but I do have a few items which have come in the mail (hardware stuff and small bits for all this not worthy of posting). I did, however, find a close-enough source for the mesh for the shirt. I'll just pop those images up here. Please know that I understand that this is not the hexagonal mesh, but after a bit of dying, I honestly think this will work for what I'm doing...

Firstly the two shirts I'll use to make what Chris Pratt is wearing in the third image, here...yes, the colors are off, but I have a cunning plan....
First, the Hanes ComfortSoft Tagless Long-Sleeve T-Shirt <---(you're welcome)
Hanes ComfortSoft Tagless Long-Sleeve T-Shirt.png
and next the and next the Eddie Baur Lookout Long-Sleeve T-Shirt (Travex FreeDry cotton) <---(you're welcome?
The color is a bit dark but that's nothing a little bleach job can't solve)
IMG_2045.JPGIMG_2046.JPGIMG_2048.JPG
Checking to see how the two work together...
Two colors of blue.jpg
(...yeah...some bleach is in order here...)

Next, we look at Star Lord's long sleeve from the beginning of the film....
Sleeve detail.jpg
There's a little detail going on in that sleeve...

Now, on the chest located above that awesome belt (that I have no idea how I'm gonna make).
Star Lord Buckle.png
...we see the mesh detail which appears to be true-venting for the actor to keep cool under that awesome jacket he had to wear.
It looks as if holes were cut into the shirt for this.

So, I was out shopping and this caught my eye..
MESH_01.JPGMESH_02.JPGMESH_03.JPG
Yeah, XL so I have more fabric than I need and I kinda really think this will work because it'll be under the jacket the whole time...'tis but a smaller detail...

Laying it all out as it appears on Chris Pratt's shirt above..
SHIRT Look and feel, no dye.JPG
...and a texture/color study.
Shirt textiles before dying.JPG
Please forgive the color mis-match, I didn't do a level adjustment in Photoshop on that last one, but this shot is, primarily for the textures.

I haven't started cutting fabrics yet as I'm hoping a small bit of collar material may magically appear in my mail box :D

My next post is going to be more image based, but I think you'll all enjoy it...

Last edited:
So...here are some close ups of the Jacket I picked up from this link right here...

Shockingly, There's not much more to say other than the supplier of this jacket pretty much has it nailed. If only the printed twill back an sides were a part of this. Any word from Magnoli on his designs for this and perhaps...gasp...the trench coat and vest?

Enjoy the closeups!
Jacket ZIPPEr.JPGStar Lord Jacket.JPGBack.JPGBack bottom seam to be ripped.JPGBack vent.JPGLength.JPGFunctional Pocket Straps_01.JPGFunctional Pocket Straps_02.JPGShoulder embossing.JPGElbow Belting.JPG
And for those of you who remember this part of the movie....look closely...in fact, if you have your replica jacket, pull it out of the closet and hold it up to what you see here...
Behold.jpg
See anything peculiar?

How about now?
Behold corrected angle.jpg

Yep...they used a reverse angle shot in the movie. The snaps were on the wrong side...this was driving me nuckn futz! :wacko:lol

Last edited:
Looks like the links aren't working.
I have the Hanes shirt. Have to find the netting. If you dye or lighten up anything let us know. The shirt is another one of my projects to work on

StarLordGoG - Thanks for the note on the links - it was late and I was tired...fixing it now...(edit)....and fixed!
The Shirt links were working on my end, it was all the jacket images. I had to reduce the number of images I posted, I think...

Looks like the links aren't working.
I have the Hanes shirt. Have to find the netting. If you dye or lighten up anything let us know. The shirt is another one of my projects to work on

Thanks to @joatrash for getting these to me! for reference, this zipper will likely be used in the creation of my vest as it is only 50cm in length and the jacket's zipper is 62cm long.
Zipper Valve Insignia patch.JPG Joatrash Insignia.JPG
Joatrash Valve.JPGZipper.JPG
I have found a supplier who will get me the length I need as well as the two accent zippers and their appropriate length for the back of the thighs on the pants I'm building.
Back of Pants.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back