Lifecasting Question

Baruthulous

Ok, so, I'm quite new to makeup and what not, did a life cast of my friends head that turned out alright, and then I watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxJ1jcU9hzU

I thought, well, that looks simple enough..........IT'S NOT!! I almost died, lol, damn nose.......

Anyways, was wondering if anyone knows of a safe way of getting a mould of your head by yourself? Nobody I know is into this sort of thing. Are there any service out there? Or even anyone on here that lives in Sydney (or even better, Wollongong) that could help me out?

Cheers,
Baru

There is no "safe" way to get a mold of yourself. Especially if you're a beginner. I have done it before but that's after years of doing it on other people, and I suspect the gentleman in the video has made quite a few as well. You certainly don't want to slap material on your face that you aren't intimately familiar with.

If you have a facebook you can find quite a few Special Effects Groups, I'd join a few and put the word out you're looking for a lifecaster in your area. I'd stick with a studio if you can, because they have a reputation. If Joe Shmoe asks to do it for you and he doesn't have pictures of previous work I would try to find a more reputable person.

I've done my face only but I used a wide straw for my mouth and filled it in later. I would not attempt a full head mold alone EVER. speaking of which, anyone life in florida? I need help.

Hello Baru,

and welcome to the forum. I am glad that you are safe and not injured from your attempt at molding yourself. No, you should NOT try to do this yourself.

I understand when you don't have others to help you. It can make things very frustrating, but please don't endanger yourself for it.

Here is my suggestion: Train a few of your friends to do this by watching some videos on youtube, and doing one, or two practice sessions on someone else, first. Let your friends experience how long you can work with the alginate before it hardens, practice going around the nose, without clogging a nostrils. Once they have done it a few times, then let them try it on you.

I also suggest going to the FX Lab: http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/index.php for a few pointers. Good luck, and stay safe.

Only get this done by someone with previous experience. Do NOT train your friends to do it... Things can easily go wrong, whereas a pro will be able to avoid any real issues...

I laughed a lot ', especially when the man was trying things without seeing. I agree that advise this thing is risky, because it could make even a novice. I do not know, but if I do it, I would build a containment box around the face, with an opening very near the contour of the face (mold division head in front of / behind the head). Standing in front of the mirror, put the plasticine to close the remaining gaps. then two straws in my nose and I lie doon horizontally to pour the mixture.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back