Mint in box....I just don't get it

Here's a funny fact: half the time the boxes are worth more than the toys. You can seriously get a vintage game system for a few bucks but the box to display it with or even for older games? You're looking at twice the price of the game. You see it with boxes for Transformers too. Now i wished i'd listened to dad when i was a kid when he said to always put the toys back in the box. For him it wasn't about money it was about the toys not breaking or losing parts. Heck he has stuff from when he was a kid in the attic in the boxes. Then again toys from the 50s/60s could take a direct hit from a missile and not even flake the paint lol.

Well....i just bought a superman comic on the net....Apparently some first issue or such thing, The auction has been on the news a lot apparently but i never watches them anyway.. Got the comic home,....was reading it when eating breakfast and spilled orange juice and marmalade on it, some of the pages are now glued together and when i tried to open them up with a knife i sliced a long tear into it. The story was pretty good and i enjoy reading it in the bathroom.

You officially became my hero xD

Boxes are only worth something if 99% of folks throw them away. Then they become rare and valuable. Case in point a lot of old Nintendo/Super Nintendo games like Wes noted.

Nowadays? A lot more people keep the boxes remembering this. However them doing that is what negates their value. :lol

In the end, just enjoy your collection and collect what you want. If having the box is important to you then keep it. If not, toss it.

Boxes are only worth something if 99% of folks throw them away. Then they become rare and valuable. Case in point a lot of old Nintendo/Super Nintendo games like Wes noted.

Nowadays? A lot more people keep the boxes remembering this. However them doing that is what negates their value. :lol

In the end, just enjoy your collection and collect what you want. If having the box is important to you then keep it. If not, toss it.

I should have pointed out the gameboy game boxes, they got kept even less than the others lol. The thing with alot of old boxes and those of us who had the toys way back when was we weren't careful. I can't remember how many spilled sodas happened. Folks keeping boxes these days aren't kids that's for sure.

When I bought Half Life 2 there were different boxes for each character. My thought at the time was, "Why? I'm just going to throw it away." That being said I have a Lt. Tasha Yar figure in the packaging somewhere.

I collect a number of toys (mostly Star Wars and some Transformers) and I have them both MISB and Open. It comes down to the box art and the play factor of the toy. If the box art is cool and I am not likely to play with the item or diplay it loose I will keep it in the box. If the box or card is boring, it gets opened and the package thrown away. Sometimes the box is cool but the toy is even cooler and I have opened the item and displayed it loose with the box behind it to show off both. I can see it both ways but if you are collecting MISB items to enhance their value prepare for a very long wait! Sometimes you get lucky but usually it takes decades for items to see a jump between loose and MISB.

Oddly enough all my props are loose and the boxes stored or thrown. They are way too cool to stay locked in some cardboard prison!!!

My collection consists of both opened and sealed figures. The one's I open are figures that are begging to be opened, that have articulation, accessories, essentially having the ability to be posed in a variety of ways. For figures that are essentially plastic statues, I tend to keep those in their boxes because what you see is what you get. I feel like they also display better when hanging them on the wall, also leaving more open space on my shelves, not having to crowd my opened figures. It gets to a point with crowding figures on a shelf that it starts to look like a pile of junk rather than a carefully crafted display. Another thing about my sealed figures, when I'm shelling out money to make these purchases, I also consider the packaging to be part of that cost. I see it as additional art that comes with the entire package.

I'll admit I have my Neca ED 209 in his box still along with the neca videogame Robocop but I don't want Ed toppling off the shelf and the Robo's box looks like the NES game box so it actually fits with my room's theme. Now the only thing i keep in the box are game systems when I retire them or are my backup systems.

How's this for silly? I've got soundtracks that are still wrapped. I've got the original Intrada release of PREDATOR before they re-released it with a more proper sequencing, as well as their Back to the Future 2-Disc set. Soundtracks!

Here's a funnier one. I've got a HotWheels "USS SARATOGA", which is nothing more than a repaint of the Reliant still in the box. Why, of all the ships to keep mint in the box does this one have such an important meaning that I would want to preserve it more? Six words.

First Female Captain in Star Trek

I have always said, if you are going to buy something then keep it in the box, you might as well go the whole way and just keep it in the shop.

Nothing makes you feel like a kid again more than the smell of a freshly opened action figure.

One sniff and its 1977.

- - - Updated - - -

How's this for silly? I've got soundtracks that are still wrapped. I've got the original Intrada release of PREDATOR before they re-released it with a more proper sequencing, as well as their Back to the Future 2-Disc set. Soundtracks!

Here's a funnier one. I've got a HotWheels "USS SARATOGA", which is nothing more than a repaint of the Reliant still in the box. Why, of all the ships to keep mint in the box does this one have such an important meaning that I would want to preserve it more? Six words.

First Female Captain in Star Trek

Well if you ignore Janice Lester anyway.

Nothing makes you feel like a kid again more than the smell of a freshly opened action figure.

One sniff and its 1977.

RIght. I want to see YOU open up a 1977 action figure :lol

But I know there are people out there who open MOC Star Wars action figures that are on defective or "devalued" cards, just to have those now loose but mint action figures graded and then sealed into acrylic coffins to keep them pristine ...

Well if you ignore Janice Lester anyway.

Why on earth would anyone say that she counts? She doesn't even command the Enterprise as a woman.

- - - Updated - - -

I have always said, if you are going to buy something then keep it in the box, you might as well go the whole way and just keep it in the shop.

But the shop will always eventually just send it back and/or close down entirely. If you buy it, it's yours.

Is it yours if you never open it?

Is a tin of beans yours if you never taste it?

Janice Lester was a woman trapped in a man's body, albeit by her own choice, I would say if you don't count her, you do a disservice to transsexuals throughout the world.

I open everything, and put it on display so I can ENJOY it for years to come. Because we all are going to die one day.
I already have a retirement plan and it doesn't include selling a bunch of mint in box collectibles that would not cover even a tiny portion of retirement anyways.
Nor do I care at all about the next collector who would get my stuff upon my death or selling it.

Now if you buy two, and flip one later to cover costs, that can be smart. I get that, and I know it helps keep some people able to keep collecting.
Storage space is another major issue obviously if you keep everything in huge packaging.

There are far better ways to invest money if your after profits in the future too.

When I was a little kid, I used to LOVE the artwork on my GI Joes' cards and boxes. And I was always so excited to get a new toy that I'd force myself to leave the figure on the card for as long as I could (usually not long!) just admiring it before I tore in and began playing. Now, when I think back, I'm almost as nostalgic about the packaging, remembering browsing the store, anticipating....I feel almost the same way about Star Wars. Those boxes showing play scenarios seemed exciting to little me. I adored the ships' boxes, and I also loved the movie scenes on the cards (this was in the era of collectible movie cards in bubble gum packs, storybooks, etc...nobody had a VCR, so if I wanted a SW fix, I needed to see pictures).

Long story short, if it's something from my childhood, I probably have just as much sentimental attachment to the packaging as I do the toy.

If it's not from my childhood/sentimental/insanely rare in some way? Screw that, I'm not a museum. Ima gonna open that sucker and enjoy it!

Is it yours if you never open it?
Yes. I have the receipt and I have the right to deny the manufacturer possession if they want it back.

Is a tin of beans yours if you never taste it?
I don't think tasting something qualifies as a reasonable means of proving ownership of a product. If I taste your computer does that make it mine now that I know what it tastes like?

Janice Lester was a woman trapped in a man's body, albeit by her own choice, I would say if you don't count her, you do a disservice to transsexuals throughout the world.

She was no transsexual. She didn't transfer her essence because she believed she was a man, she did it because being a man was the only way to become Captain of a starship. Also, shouldn't you be more worried about what that episode said about women in general?

Janice: Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women.
Janice (In Kirk's Body): Now you know the indignity of being a woman. For you this agony will soon pass, as it has for me. Quiet. Quiet! Believe me, it's better to be dead than to live alone in the body of a woman. It's better to be dead.

If it wasn't for the original single disc release containing the unaired pilot "The Cage", I would have gladly left that disc in it's wrapper.

I open everything, and put it on display so I can ENJOY it for years to come. Because we all are going to die one day.
I already have a retirement plan and it doesn't include selling a bunch of mint in box collectibles that would not cover even a tiny portion of retirement anyways.
Nor do I care at all about the next collector who would get my stuff upon my death or selling it.

Now if you buy two, and flip one later to cover costs, that can be smart. I get that, and I know it helps keep some people able to keep collecting.
Storage space is another major issue obviously if you keep everything in huge packaging.

There are far better ways to invest money if your after profits in the future too.
If we're all going to die one day, what's the difference as long as the person who owns it gets what they want out of it? Packaging is an art form in and of itself, and sometimes the product never feels complete without it. Heck, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment shipped their ALIEN Anthology BluRay "Egg" set in a box that had an opening underneath of it so you can access the discs without taking the egg out of the box! You get best of both worlds with that kind of strategy.

The value of something should be measured in what the individual wants out of it. That can be from opening the package and playing around with it's contents, displaying it, modifying it, burning it or just leaving it in it's box. There is no real way to 'collect' because it's all based around personal value. A person can die happily knowing they still had something they wanted in it's box just as happily as another person who died knowing that they were opened and played with theirs.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back