Help a beginner?

1nces

Hello, I am just starting to use this pepakura unfolder, in attempts to make a Star-Lord Helmet from the GOTG Movie. I have the files and the program to use it, but I would like opinions on what I should do to make it?
I want to use foam but I don't know what kind I'm looking for (I know about the Plastazote foam, I just don't know where to find it or even if I can) Is there a certain type of foam that is better than others? Can I use thin sheets of foam?

Is Cardstock paper a better option for what I am attempting to make?
I've looked through countless forums on here and I can't find a single one that gives me any sort of insight into these questions.....
Any help is always appreciated,
Thanks!

...I've looked through countless forums on here and I can't find a single one that gives me any sort of insight into these questions.....
Any help is always appreciated,
Thanks!

First, welcome to the RPF.

Second, if you havent found an answer to your questions, then you haven´t looked thoroughly enough. It´s all there. The Pepakura sticky at the top of this very forum should answer your questions, and there are tons of other build threads like for Iron Man foam armor.

Third, your thread title is so damn general, it could be about absolutely anything. Please show your fellow RPF members a little courtesy and help them save some time by changing your thread title to something informative, i.e. what information you are looking for. It´s not of interest to anyone that you are a beginner, but what your thread is actually about.

You questions and observations are very general...but that's what happens when you're new at something:D

If I was to build a pepakura helmet (like the dredd helmet that is sending me mental at the moment) I would again choose 200gsm card stock - resin - rondo and bondo from there.

I can't help you with foam, I see some awesome builds with it...but I have zero interest in it.

The RPF is a awesome resource....find some posts/threads that are relevant and contact the peeps who started/contributed to them....lots of cool and talented people here, don't be afraid to reach out and be annoying.....true prop builders love to help:D

For a foam build, I wouldn't suggest really thin craft foam - it won't have the rigidity you need. Look for floor mats, either the "puzzle piece" ones or the big rolls that are used in workshops, etc. Make sure your foam has one smooth side - you don't want texture on your helmet. You can use craft foam for detailing. I have some pictures in my Star-Lord costume thread of the foam helmet I'm building if you wanted to get an idea of what you can make with foam (bear in mind this is my first helmet!): http://www.therpf.com/f78/star-lord-costume-female-wip-217964/

JFCustom's foam files thread is an amazing resource for foam builds. I highly recommend reading through at least the first post.

I can't speak to cardstock as I've never used it, but you'd have to do the resin/fibreglass/bondo route with it - definitely do more research on that. There's a ton of great information on here, and make sure to check out some YouTube tutorials too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back