Guardians of the Galaxy: The tape deck on board the Milano

Risu

Master Member
I didn't see another thread on this, if there is one I missed it. I'm thinking of building the tape deck on the ship, partly because I think it would be a great way to display the tape.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-movie-screenshot-mix-tape.jpg

I'm no expert on tape decks, I haven't had one since I was 13. Does anybody recognize any of the components, particularly the actual tape controls or the dials? (which obviously aren't from a tape deck at all) The wood backing and frame are easy enough, the handles shouldn't be a problem, and some of the knobs shouldn't be too challenging, but the dials and actually functional tape controls would be difficult to rig up from scratch.

been mulling this over this afternoon. I think its a custom job. the actual tape deck part would be harvested from a deck. no idea about the knobs. ive tried checking a few wholesale websites, but havent found anything. did find this though:

http://imgur.com/a/pzWO9

Thanks for the reference guys! Btw, as far as size is concerned, based on the tape it looks like it's pretty much exactly 2 feet wide. I might need to change that estimate once I get my tapes. The knobs look reasonable enough, even given my lack of skill on the lathe. The dials do still look like a concern, and while I can print most of those stickers (albeit without the smells), I will need to find those puffy Alf ones.

EDIT: WOW, I decided to take a look on ebay and I've never had that awesome a result. Not only were the Alf puffy stickers readily available, but so were all the scratch n sniff stickers. I managed to get everything for about $25 shipped.

Last edited:
Hey guys, im thinking building a setup

maybe if 6 guys are into it i can get the scratch and sniff stickers in the 6 sets and split them? the one that harder to find is the rootbeer cool sticker, we would have to wait for a six set to show up.
im checking out old ghettoblaster boom boxes for the deck set with buttons underneath, the second image is a different model as the stickers are different.
the knobs are easy to turn on the lathe,
i got my alf stickers and cards already.

the pull handles might be modern pull handles for drawers, i'll see what i can find.

tumblr_naiyu2Wd3s1rptievo1_500.jpg
attachment.php

Straight on shot, yay!
I suspect if the tape deck part is real it would be from a sony brand tape deck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/vintageaudio/comments/2csafj/fictional_vintage_but_is_the_tape_deck_in/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 19,582
Last edited:
The straight on shot is great! The other one is very different, I don't think it's very practical reference material. No handles, looks to be quite a bit smaller.

Is the root beer one hard to get? There were a few available when I got mine. I was surprised how easy it was to get them, they were about $2-3 per sticker.

For anybody that's wondering/concerned, the "hang in there" sticker doesn't smell like BO.

I asked two sellers for rootbeer stickers. I bought all the others in the sets of six, just pm I just want to split the cost if you need the scratch and sniff stickers.
I have few candidates for the VU meters and the deck, I gonna mock on up today.

The other images is just concept art, thought it would be fun to post.

I think the straight on shot might have been from SDCC, if you know anyone that went and got shots of all the prop, they might have been images.
I also figured out the brushed stainless drawer pulls with the washers, just need to confirm the size.

Does anyone have a shot of what the troll doll is wearing, or the eye color of the doll? It looks like a khaki adventure suit.

Last edited:
Watch out, the straight on shot is at a bit elevated angle so the buttons are shorter. I overlayed the album cover tape and there are some differences. I think they filled out out the bezel for the cover art.

I guess I didnt make it clear, the rootbeer stickers are the only ones I didnt get, also when i get them they would be sold as sets, at cost. I'm just trying to be fair and help anyone else out.

here is the handle I found, there is 4" version, never mind the price, it can be found on ebay cheaper. Main thing it that is had matching rosettes you can get. Those are 17mm or 5/8" I guess stainless washers would do it too.
http://www.kitchensource.com/cabinet-hardware/ha-116.10.209.htm

I may just do the mcmaster carr handles as well.

Risu, do you have a rough outer size already?

Last edited:
Hmmm, ...my first calculations came up with 12" x 29" roughly, but when I started to remeasure while drawing it out, I ended up with 9.5" tall X 24" using a cassette.

This is where I'm at roughly, I know the image has some distortion and it the deck is shot at an laid back angle. I did the left side and mirrored it. I like stuff being symmetrical, some of it may scoot just bit over. Also those machined in details on the center top seem to be justifiend to the left. The scale on the tap is exact to the tape in the album cover art I also have real tape in my hands. it was about 102mm. I'm open to ideas and will post ofther shots as they surface.

Any suggestions so far as the deck, I want thinking a portable recorder because the buttons are close to the tape and they are cheap. I founf a couple systems that ahve the same three knob configuration. But I want to mount this on the wall and be real thin.

Attachments

• milano deck.jpg
    milano deck.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,666
I think getting any tape player, cracking it open, and moving the mechanics around and making covers for the buttons would be the easiest way to go.

definately covers for the buttons, I'm just looking for one where the deck and the buttons are in relatively the same spot. I want to make mine work.

One thing I noticed about the buttons on the soundtrack cover is that they have cracked paint on them. They also look like they're made of wood to me, for some reason. Am I crazy? Does anyone else think that when looking at them?

They may be painted plastic. See the image from Marvel above with the bent bezel? Also i think that may be the one used for the exploded ship shots

I saw that one. I think it may be an all khaki suit not striped. I think is is also the same troll he puts in the orb holder at the end of the movie. I may just make the little suit. I wonder if it is a troll with the jewel in the belly button or not. Also there is an unidentified Alf card on the lower left corner. I having parts cut this week in plastic before i commit to aluminum on the large bezel.

update, i looked at it again, you may have the correct clothing but still thing the troll style had the beady eyes .

Last edited:
NVM - I don't know my right from my left apparently...

Attachments

• 300px-Heather_Labat.jpg
    300px-Heather_Labat.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 431

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back