Guardians of the Galaxy: The tape deck on board the Milano

Ok just throwing this out there to see if anyone on here is good at making 3d files for 3d printing?
I just ordered a Robo3d printer that should be here next week, if all goes well I have my eye on a bigger printer but for now its just for fun.
I was thinking maybe we could make the knobs and face into a 3d file, print it then prep the print "sanding etc" to make a master mold for casting in resin.
I think they could be painted well enough to look like aluminum.
Thoughts?

Oh and the one I got was used so it may be a few days of tinkering before its ready to print. unknown realm to me lol

10903398_766159863477845_1742114566_n.jpg

I printed some already. It doesnt work the same. They seem different. I need to start a thread about machining thing vs 3d printing. Why would you get a 3D print if you dont build 3D? It just seems weird to me.

Just machine them. You will be happier if do.

I printed some already. It doesnt work the same. They seem different. I need to start a thread about machining thing vs 3d printing. Why would you get a 3D print if you dont build 3D? It just seems weird to me.

Just machine them. You will be happier if do.

Probably will machine them as that is easier and I have a ton of aluminum rods ranging from 1"od to 4"od I just wanted to play around and learn to 3d printing...... You gotta learn (start) somewhere. I figure if I can learn a bit and enjoy it I will get a more advanced printer.

One thing i noticed is a ton of people 3d printing now. Ive been doing it for close to 10 years. It just a tool, but there is more than one way to do things, but it seems some people dont take it past a cleaned up 3d print. We need to not pose traditional model making with machining and sculpting things.
I used the 3d files i made as a guide while machining. The thing with printing these is you have to sand in the machine marks on a lathe anyhow.

btw guys. I cut some thin styrene and used gold vinyl as the bezels details behind the large knobs. I tried 3d printing those bezels but it would be too much work to clean them up. I think the actual ones are machined also or a found item. I used the 1.75" aluminum rod for the large ones and the 1.05" rod for the small knobs. I will double check the large rod monday.

HahahahaHahahaha........this is my next prop thingy , i use to have a troll collection as a middle schooler.........

Damn...... I'm getting old...........

Last edited:
Almost done with one. The knobs are a pain to do. Also setting the tape deck into the back of the facing. I have to do that tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

O yeah i buggered through the frame as you have to mount the wood from the rear, filler and repaint will fix it.

Thought I'd use my first post to say great job! Would love to see the back and how you've put the electronics in. I assume the VU meters light up?

Thought I'd use my first post to say great job! Would love to see the back and how you've put the electronics in. I assume the VU meters light up?
Hi,
I did this one as a static one, I have one I'm building as a working one for myself. A few things came up at home and put a damper on a bunch of little projects. I'll get pics as it develops.

Hi,
I did this one as a static one, I have one I'm building as a working one for myself. A few things came up at home and put a damper on a bunch of little projects. I'll get pics as it develops.

Would love to see them. I have no idea what wood to use, or what tool to use to cut out the squares in the middle of it, but I'm an optimist! I'm out to make one for my garden office. Mine might be all foam sculpted though.

I didn't see another thread on this, if there is one I missed it. I'm thinking of building the tape deck on the ship, partly because I think it would be a great way to display the tape.

http://turntherightcorner.files.wor...e-galaxy-movie-screenshot-mix-tape.jpg?w=1024

I'm no expert on tape decks, I haven't had one since I was 13. Does anybody recognize any of the components, particularly the actual tape controls or the dials? (which obviously aren't from a tape deck at all) The wood backing and frame are easy enough, the handles shouldn't be a problem, and some of the knobs shouldn't be too challenging, but the dials and actually functional tape controls would be difficult to rig up from scratch.

Hi
It's been almost 3 years since I first saw this post and I was wondering if you had completed the task at hand and wondered if you would lend some tips on what to do and tips on how you did it

I thought Abelugo finished his - and it was spectacular!

edit: Ah, I see it now. Back a few pages...

Just joined the forums and found this thread. Amazing work! I've been toying with making a mini- cassette display like this, but in researching and getting screen shots of the Milano from the film, I am curious on something to the left of the tape deck (at the head of the bunk) - There appears to be two posters of a woman in a red dress. I had thought that maybe it was Alyssa Milano, but can' find anything matching online. Anyone have a clear shot or know anything about these pics?

Here are pics. It's nine images going from Bereet sitting at the table to the tape deck in the Milano. If you look at the white wall almost perfectly inbetween the troll doll and Peter's backpack, you will see two posters of a woman in red on the wall. The top one looks like she is standing, the bottom one appears to be more of a sitting shot.
guardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1340.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1339.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1337.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1332.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1324.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1341.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1343.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1345.jpgguardians-galaxy-movie-screencaps.com-1347.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back