Guardians of the Galaxy: The tape deck on board the Milano

I finally scaled it out from my tape, I got 26.25" wide by 12.9" tall. Unfortunately, that puts it about 2" larger than I can laser cut in one piece, so I'll have to split it.

Question for you guys. Do you have your own Laser cutters or are you having the bezels cut by a service?

I'm having some acylic ones cut by a friend, it has a large bed 48x24 I think.

I may inquire about getting real aluminum bezels, but also inquire about a run price on the acylic.
I'm also probably going to get a large 4x8 piece of the veneer wood. I have used it before it was fairly cheap.

I think .375 might be the right thickness on the bezels, .25" doesnt seem thick enough.

I agree, 3/8". My laser cutter doesn't do well with that thickness, though, and the bed is only 24x18. I would actually love to do real aluminum, but the price to get that water jet would be astronomical.

I agree, 3/8". My laser cutter doesn't do well with that thickness, though, and the bed is only 24x18. I would actually love to do real aluminum, but the price to get that water jet would be astronomical.
Come on now, its always worth asking for a quote! I'll give you guys a heads on on it. My speculated size was only .33 off. I haven't recieved my deck yet. I'll adjust my main bezel when that comes in.

I just saw another picture while looking for shots of the Awesome Mix Vol. 2 tape (if anybody has one, please post it or send it my way via PM) that suggests the metal, at least around the tape and controls, may only be 1/4" thick. If that's the case, I might be able to tack my water jet order onto a friend's other parts in a few weeks and it might only cost me $100 or so. Sure doesn't beat the price of "free" for the laser cutting, though.

Is this any help?

AMV1-3133a.jpg

Also, is there any evidence from the features or interview that the Milano deck actually played music? Just curious really.

That's the one that shows the thickness, but I actually need a good shot of the second tape so I can see the different shape and writing.

Good shot of those side buttons, that can be just added on stryene.

Risu, i believe there is some pics of mix 2 but they are not high quality on the one of the cassette threads. You may have seen it already.

I'd like to do a run of Vol 2, but I'm going to wait for the Blu Ray (or a very high quality version).

Awesome, thank you! I'll have to make another trip to Kinko's tomorrow to print that one out.

Also, can anybody clarify to me what "the black sections on the c clamps" are? I have absolutely no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. The definition I know for c clamps is those things that hold wood to a bench, and the only black parts I see on any of the tapes is the screws.

Awesome, thank you! I'll have to make another trip to Kinko's tomorrow to print that one out.

Also, can anybody clarify to me what "the black sections on the c clamps" are? I have absolutely no idea what any of that is supposed to mean. The definition I know for c clamps is those things that hold wood to a bench, and the only black parts I see on any of the tapes is the screws.

From Humanoid's post in the thread Abe just linked: "the black sections on the reels, or "c clamps":"

Hope that helps... Not sure I see what it means either. Lol.

Hey, I'm no cassette tape engineer, but I've seen the reel hubs referred to as c-clamps online :lol. At any rate, here's what I'm talking about:

74 DETAIL.jpg

However, there is at least one close up shot of the cassette (the opening scene) that has all white reel hubs c clamps whatever you want to call them - so technically both types can be considered screen accurate (as long as they have four dots and the molding artifact, but I digress...).

Huh, never saw that before. Mine don't have the black section, but all the other details are spot on. My label needs a bit of yellowing though. I printed out labels with different degrees of age, and unfortunately the two where the handwriting turned out good were the whitest ones.

So here is my update

i found some real VU meters, they are maybe 5% smaller than the size that I estimated. The price is good and they actually work so I'm going to work with them. If anyone needs a link I think the guy or sets. I want to say they are tascam VU meters
I ended up getting an eight by four sheet of the wood, also found a stain that will work I'll post a name in a bit at work.
I found that the trolls going to be hard to find now that there is a seller buying them up, he's calling it the guardians of the galaxy troll so you expect to pay like 30 bucks for it.
I cut other sets of bezels for the size of the VU meters so I had a hard time deciding which way to go with it you can see in the pics.
going to start machining knobs this week.
it's weird because the size looks more narrow lengthwise and when i take pictures of it it seems taller.

any comments would be great.

just a note for you people who get the double deck Marantz cassette player, don't forget to to make a copy of your mix tape CD onto cassette.

Does anyone know with the large plates for the knobs might be from?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the pics being upside down, my ipad works wonders!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 543
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 557
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 470
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 487
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
So awesome! Can you crack open the meters? The faces look like they're custom for the screen-used deck.

edit: also, did you cut the little detail pieces (above the handles) from styrene as well?

The meter have a piece of tape and maybe a screw holding them together. Yes i will be changing the art. I will post the size of these. But if you compare the meter needle should be taller in a sense. These go too wide i think.

i found these look up in ended auctions Pioneer RT-1020L Reel to Reel VU Meters BOTH ARE WORKING FINE They were 20.00 shipped

they after the fact i fount and industrial section withing ebay with just vu meters, not in the vintage radio section.
they will work fine for this one.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back