Art Deco Ray Rifle

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
As you might know, I make a lot of Steampunk things, but, once in a while, I like to mix it up a little, and my latest project has timeshifted a little, and seems to be more Dieselpunk.

Basically, I saw the Grordbort Pomson 6000, and thought "WOW! HOW MUCH?!?", so started collecting bright stainless steel kitchenware from charity shops, and around three weeks ago, finally got around to cutting a stock from 25mm MDF, and stacking the steel items onto a threaded tube (generally used for lamp making), and this is what I wound up with:

Running from the top down, we have an old barber's pomade/hair oil shaker (antique market, £4 for a pair! :) ), then an egg cup, three dessert bowls, a pasta/rice container, and a bowl. Then, as a join to the stock, a cheap plastic dome clock dome, like this:

Just cut a slice for the trigger, the next step was to address the mismatch between the bowl and the dome, which was simply done by adding styrene strip and laminating two layers of 1mm styrene sheet with angled spacers to give the appearance of some sort of air intake or exhaust:

I also routed a curve onto the parts of the stack that needed it, and added a 6mm acrylic fin, because these things need fins.

On to the trigger: made a cardboard template before cutting two pieces of styrene and a piece of 6mm acrylic to form a sandwich around the prototype trigger:

Which is spring loaded, and WORKS:

Refined, and with an aluminium trigger to replace the acrylic on, at least the silver won't rub off this one:

And this is how it all looked at this stage:

Added detail to the stock, and a box with a gauge- donated by my airbrush regulator after a collision with a concrete floor...

On the other side, a four position rotary switch, with a chickenhead knob:

Realised the body was looking a bit bare, so added a slide, using ABS tube and domes:

Which needed a lever, so after some thought, I removed the top from a plastic champagne bottle that had contained Xmas chocolates:

Then, of course, it needed something on the other side, so using offcuts from the slide, I added some Art Deco grillwork:

Next up, some atomic emitters, or pepper pots, as they are sometimes known:

They came from eBay, and were a little too big, so I cut them down by 40mm, leaving them at 60mm, which was a bonus, as they flexed to fit the contour of the pasta container as I tightened up the M4 nuts and bolts that hold them in place:

also added some animation armature threaded balls to the emitters, with stacked washers for detail

Where next? It's been suggested that the currently primer grey parts could be finished in faux Bakelite...

;)

Last edited:
Glad you like it, and yes, it is powered by the shaving cream atom!

Righty-Ho!

Basecoat, of Rover maple brown, leftover from a previous project:

WP_20140820_001_zpsf4ce0eef.jpg

Followed by acrylic black, light brown, dark brown, yellow and red all wet blended, and blown around with an airbrush full of water:

WP_20140820_002_zps45871a14.jpg

More soon!

:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back