The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Zlurpo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had started a thread asking about the buckle on the bag, AND asked in the main Star-Lord costume thread about the bag. Since that's the main piece I want (and a few others seem to want as well) this is a thread just for discussing his backback/knapsack/sling bag/satchel (not a purse).

So here's the many photos I've gathered so far:
costume screenshot.jpgfull back view.jpgGuardians_Of_The_Galaxy_NOM0420_comp_v012_grade.1027.jpgPrint detail.jpgfigure test.pngfigure.JPG
Screen Shot.pnglego.jpgguardiansofthegalaxy53765ba476c28.jpgscreenshot 1.jpg
starlord-back.jpgshoulder detail.jpegside strap 2.jpgside strap.jpgside view.jpg
Strap detail.jpgstrap shot.jpgtiny details.jpgtoy detail front.jpgwith side strap.jpg

The buckle: As discussed in this other thread I wrote trying to identify the buckle, I don't know what they used for the buckle. It is similar to buckles make by Cobra, Raptor, and Stubai. Also, if you look at buckles on Tower Harnesses, they are all this "quick connect" style. Additionally, there are a couple cheap knockoff Chinese brands of quick release buckle. So far, all of them are too different to have even been easily modified to be the buckle in the movie.
buckle shot.jpg
That little lip under the side release latch is something I have not seen on any other quick release buckle so far. The best guess so far is that is is an old version of a buckle that used to be sold but is no longer available. If anyone can find something that could work, please share :D

Failing that, user Kevin Gossett seems to be considering making non-functional copies of the buckle, since it doesn't need to work for a bag like this. I have been experimenting with designs for a functional buckle which I'll be building this weekend.

Did you say you saw the patent drawings of it? Maybe I could whip something up in the machine shop and get a working buckle.

That aside, great thread, been following the other costume thread religiously, so much good content.

- Will

Did you say you saw the patent drawings of it? Maybe I could whip something up in the machine shop and get a working buckle.

That aside, great thread, been following the other costume thread religiously, so much good content.

- Will

Yeah, pm me your email and I can send you the patent pdf. I also have been trying to re-design it with the right shape, but in a way that seemed a little simpler to build. I'd love to see what you (and anyone else) could come up with!!

Yeah, pm me your email and I can send you the patent pdf. I also have been trying to re-design it with the right shape, but in a way that seemed a little simpler to build. I'd love to see what you (and anyone else) could come up with!!

Awesome! Will do. I'll print out some reference material tomorrow and see what i can work out.

So what do you guys think is the size of the buckle? I tried to size it out against Pratt's head size... but I don't know his head size exactly. I'm guessing the buckle is 2" wide, and the strap on it is about 1.75"? Anyone have a better idea for scale?

If you wanted to do the math, you could find the percentage of his height it is and then just take it from there (6'2", right?).

Great thread, subscribing! (Even though I'm getting the feeling the bag will end up being one of the most complicated pieces)

If you wanted to do the math, you could find the percentage of his height it is and then just take it from there (6'2", right?).

Great thread, subscribing! (Even though I'm getting the feeling the bag will end up being one of the most complicated pieces)
Haha I tried that too... but it kind of requires a full body shot with no distortion to get that measurement. For the moment, I'm going to to with "eyeball it and change it if it looks wrong!"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back