Hero Hoverboard Mega Thread - 3D Hoverboard Magnets - Lenticular

Clock88

Hi all Hoverboard fans,

I want to start a mega thread that addresses the Hero Hoverboard and getting all the right components (parts, velcro, vinyl, foam, graphics, lenticular) into the hands of people who want them! We will discuss how to get the essential parts made (or found) so we can offer them to all who need them. This will lead to hopefully doing runs (full boards or parts) for people who want lenticular and cast molds.

A while back I mocked up the magnets and brackets in 3D. I worked on this alongside formula388 (who made his own parts in 3D), but unfortunately I have not heard from him about the subject in a while. A lot of help and work went into this to get the measurements.

These are my 3D parts that I finished yesterday:

S3tRIwp.png

Frankly - I'd like to get these made up, printed, CNC'd, or whatever works - but don't have the money to do so at the moment. BTTFSpencer was very nice and willing to help me get these made in plastic, but I don't have $200 - $300 dollars spare cash right now.

I'm looking for someone who is willing to take these graphics off my hands, get them 3D printed or CNC'd, and have a mold made so I can make casts for myself (and anyone who wants them). Hopefully we can work something out. I put a LOT of work into the accuracy of these things... and I just want to be able to put them on my board! I'm sure you guys do too? Formula388 said he'd do a run of his parts for people... but it's been a while so we shall see?

I am sure plenty of people on here can vouch for my dedication on Hoverboard accuracy, and these parts are one of a kind. A lot of the top Hoverboard guys on this forum helped get these measurements (hopefully I'll be hearing from them in this thread for ideas and suggestions).

About the parts: They have been made exactly like the resin parts. This way the thickness will be correct when they are vacuformed like a lot of the boards were. Resin parts look slightly "sharper" and thinner like this...

1907_4.jpg

Lenticular: A lot of people were curious about how I made mine.

I used "Rowlux 3D white opaque (with backing not see through)" with a printed pink vinyl sticker applied to the top (like a window sticker) that I ordered from Kinkos. This made the honeycombs way too blurry after they had been applied for more than a few minutes. The cost of the sticker was $45 for each side of the Hoverboard. I also tried a pink film with double sided adhesive vinyl, spray mount, etc. The stuff would blur, peel off, and crack. Everything worked 'ok' but nothing that really lived up to true pink honeycombs.

I also tried everything with the clear 3D honeycombs (like a lot of people on Ebay have been using) and still didn't find anything that looked great (vinyl backing, painting, glueing, etc.). It still looks blurred and not right. I want the PINK EQUIVALENT to THIS PHOTO BELOW, damnit! Look how they shine baby! Accept no substitutes!

file_49_20.jpg

Rowlux will only do a 10,000ft minimum order for a custom color. Interestingly, they released a 'pastel pink' color for a spring addition this year (which is not listed on the website) which would only require 2,000ft minimum (still a lot).

Any ideas for having this done in China? Thoughts?

All the best,

Grant

I've been working on this part recently too.

You know if you have all the right measurements and files then the hard work is done. What I would recommend however is that you get all the flat pieces (i.e. everything except the top magnet that has that 45 degree bevel edge) laser cut in acrylic. Laser cutting acrylic in the various thickness of each piece would cost less than a fifth of the price of having them 3D printed and since they are flat shapes it would be perfectly suitable. Then simply drill the counter sunk holes in the middle connector.

The top most magnet would be easy as pie to simply cut and bevel with a router. Glue the pieces together on a board and take a mold from that.

I've used laser cutting heaps of times on stuff from props to parts to display stands and it would be ideal for a job like this.

I should actually be getting my 3D printer kit tomorrow, and will hopefully have it put together and ready to go this weekend. I would be more than willing to help with this project if I can, but I'm extremely new to 3D printing so I would understand if you'd want to get help from someone more experienced.

That said, I do think ZeroRoom's suggestion of having the parts laser cut would be an excellent way to go with this project.

I've been working on this part recently too.

You know if you have all the right measurements and files then the hard work is done. What I would recommend however is that you get all the flat pieces (i.e. everything except the top magnet that has that 45 degree bevel edge) laser cut in acrylic. Laser cutting acrylic in the various thickness of each piece would cost less than a fifth of the price of having them 3D printed and since they are flat shapes it would be perfectly suitable. Then simply drill the counter sunk holes in the middle connector.

The top most magnet would be easy as pie to simply cut and bevel with a router. Glue the pieces together on a board and take a mold from that.

I've used laser cutting heaps of times on stuff from props to parts to display stands and it would be ideal for a job like this.

This is an excellent idea! I may just go ahead and do this...

I should actually be getting my 3D printer kit tomorrow, and will hopefully have it put together and ready to go this weekend. I would be more than willing to help with this project if I can, but I'm extremely new to 3D printing so I would understand if you'd want to get help from someone more experienced.

That said, I do think ZeroRoom's suggestion of having the parts laser cut would be an excellent way to go with this project.

That would be fantastic! What size is your 3D printer capable of? Make/model? Let me know and keep in touch!

Making a screen printed hero and stunt board for now... test prints and foam carving. I will be adding fluorescent vinyl/velcro to the hero board.

20140816_234009.jpg
20140816_001013.jpg

That would be fantastic! What size is your 3D printer capable of? Make/model? Let me know and keep in touch!

It's a RigidBot by Invent-A-Part (Here's their website) and has a 10"x10"x10" build volume. I've got it mostly assembled (a miracle considering I've only been able to work on it in short bursts due to having three kids). I've discovered that three screws that are essential to assembling the extruder head are missing from the kit entirely, so I have to either wait for the company to send replacements, or find a hardware or hobby shop that carries them. Home Depot was no help.

I'll keep in touch with you on my progress.

I have to agree that laser cutting Perspex and layering it up is one of the cheapest methods for a rapid prototype.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back