ANH Luke Macrobinocular Build

Well, they're finished after a few adjustments, lens plate weathering or scratching. Here some close ups and overviews. I'd like to know what you guys think?

IMG_4694_zpsnbvzczxk.jpgIMG_4696_zpszjpi3jym.jpgIMG_4697_zpsnvzmhj0c.jpgIMG_4703_zps0krezggw.jpgIMG_4698_zpsfweyqen3.jpg

IMG_4699_zpslrzfh3lg.jpgIMG_4700_zpsnowec0uh.jpgIMG_4704_zps3pyjtck2.jpgIMG_4705_zps455cjevv.jpg

I need to drill & tap the gray lens adjuster ring on one of the Kaligars for the additional aluminum thumb adjuster so there's one on each lens. I think they came out as close to screen accurate as they could have! Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd really like to thank you guys who helped me and gave advise along the way building my very first prop, especially Marv, Zombie Killer, Sym-Cha, Clutch, Cameron, Almar Bouwman, Marcus (Odiwan72), Killdozer, Lichtbringer, and for sure Jerry (Trooper) and Dave at Dark Energy. Only took me 2 years LOL!!!

Well, they're finished after a few adjustments, lens plate weathering or scratching. Here some close ups and overviews. I'd like to know what you guys think?

View attachment 636016View attachment 636017View attachment 636018View attachment 636019View attachment 636020

View attachment 636021View attachment 636022View attachment 636023View attachment 636024

I need to drill & tap the gray lens adjuster ring on one of the Kaligars for the additional aluminum thumb adjuster so there's one on each lens. I think they came out as close to screen accurate as they could have! Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd really like to thank you guys who helped me and gave advise along the way building my very first prop, especially Marv, Zombie Killer, Sym-Cha, Clutch, Cameron, Almar Bouwman, Marcus (Odiwan72), Killdozer, Lichtbringer, and for sure Jerry (Trooper) and Dave at Dark Energy. Only took me 2 years LOL!!!

Awesome job. very nice :thumbsup

Overall it looks great. :cool

But may it be possible you mounted the frontplate the wrong way, upside down?

attachment.php

Shouldn´t the plates cutout match to the recessed corners you see here on the right side?

Overall it looks great. :cool

But may it be possible you mounted the frontplate the wrong way, upside down?

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=636022&d=1466256846

Shouldn´t the plates cutout match to the recessed corners you see here on the right side?

Eagle Eye Michael, thanks. Drinking & propping don't mix, LOL

IMG_4706_zpstgltq3x5.jpg

Tapped the lens ring for the adjuster knob too

IMG_4708_zps0ry0j6z3.jpg

I wish I could figure out how to get them aligned like the screen shots....

- - - Updated - - -

Nice build!

Has the "Mystery Box" been I.D.'d yet???

- Jim

Don't think so. Trooper cast this one for me!

since this is a recast of the russrep plate, and you admitted to me you did not get his ok to do so, you should not be selling these , this is a bannable offense !!!

Last edited:
If this is reversed engineered do you need permission, The Russrep plate doesn't have any internal threading so whilst being similar is not the same?
I'm definitely interested in a transition box when you post your list.
The build looks wicked must finish mine :)

If this is reversed engineered do you need permission, The Russrep plate doesn't have any internal threading so whilst being similar is not the same?
I'm definitely interested in a transition box when you post your list.
The build looks wicked must finish mine :)
they did use the russrep plate to make this one, even though they added to it, it is still recasting.
and yet again they used some one elses template for the transition box, I wonder how the make of the template would feel about him just taking his work and profiting from it??? this was a file offered for free for his/her own use.

Can't say I'm happy to read this, been waiting for a nice transition box for a long time.

If the plans are free...... anyone can share them, please?

There were some plans somewhere on the site but if I recall it didn't have any dimensions to it - I could be wrong?

There were some plans somewhere on the site but if I recall it didn't have any dimensions to it - I could be wrong?
good point, does it have to have any noted dimensions to be recast? in other words, say I sketched something on paper and showed a pic of it, some liked it and started selling copies of my original sketch, isn't that still stealing some one elses work?

but I believe the template does have dimensions, it's a pdf file and prints to the correct size.

OK Jerry, let's break this down a bit. The RussRep plate didn't work, it used the Kalimar lens rings in the plate to mount the lenses, and had no specific mounting of any kind, AND you couldn't thread in both lenses into the one he sold me. The outer shape follows the Eumig camera body, the thickness is a pure guess, 5/16"? The blind mounting I requested was for the mounting holes I put in my prop and the threaded holes in the plate has never been done to my knowledge.

With that said, I can hardly see how this lens plate is a recast. As far as a transition box, IF I make one it will be my own design, measurements, etc. Thanks for bombing my thread on a simple build, I appreciate your help with the parts and advise you gave me, and sorry if the plate I had commissioned got in the way of you offering one up, as we discussed, I had no idea.

they did use the russrep plate to make this one, even though they added to it, it is still recasting.
and yet again they used some one elses template for the transition box, I wonder how the make of the template would feel about him just taking his work and profiting from it??? this was a file offered for free for his/her own use.

WOW Jerry, get your facts straight, I purchased a transition box from a member early on. I haven't made any to sell, only drawn a design that I think would work. Not sure why your freaking out, but if you need something or would like to talk, please call me. My build thread is hardly the place. Thanks

I'd like to chime in here, the plate I made I measured from original screen pics,
I did not copy anybody else's plate, it is all my own measurements,
If anybody here on the forum has a patent on it let me know and I will not make it anymore,
otherwise there is no reason I can not make it.
if anybody else is making it then they are re-casting also,
and this is not cast it is machined from solid stock,

But according to chad you made the plate a few thousands over the russrep plate, you even had the plate and sent it back with your new one. He told this is what his plan was months ago, I told him more than a couple times to get russ's permission.
Go to off topic you will see the text in " recast allert "

- - - Updated - - -

Chad , i thought you told me you used some ones template to make the transition box.
Whos transition did you use ro make your template ?

- - - Updated - - -

Chad , i thought you told me you used some ones template to make the transition box.
Whos transition did you use ro make your template ?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back