ANH Luke Macrobinocular Build

So I broke down and picked up another Kalimar. It's missing one of the aluminum focus rings and the lens trim that has the white writing on it. Thanks to our resident resin cast master Trooper, I will complete the lens. At least I can finish the macros soon!

So I broke down and picked up another Kalimar. It's missing one of the aluminum focus rings and the lens trim that has the white writing on it. Thanks to our resident resin cast master Trooper, I will complete the lens. At least I can finish the macros soon!

Congrats.

Anxious to see the final set.

Tom

Well I found some really cool brass exterior course threaded inserts w 3 by 32 inside threads for mounting the mystery box and my drill slipped and went right through the front of the mystery box.....I patched it, but it will need some spot putty tonight and paint touch up. Good thing is it looks great! I'll post some pics later.

Is there an image showing mesh on this cheese wedge piece, I know it was something that ZombieKiller did on his build some time ago?

Is there an image showing mesh on this cheese wedge piece, I know it was something that ZombieKiller did on his build some time ago?

No Marv not to my knowledge. I liked how ZombieKiller did his and I COPIED him! I think there's enough interpretation on this prop, it works. Thanks

Swapped the Seagull and Kalimar knobs - WHAT A PITA!!! JB Weld does not want to be broken! Patched and finished the mystery box too.

DSCF7157.jpgDSCF7159.jpgDSCF7163.jpgDSCF7154.jpg

I need to Dremel the door on the Eumig to clear the mystery box mounting screws and the screw for the RussRep lens plate, maybe add a magnetic door keep, then put the belt clip back on and when the second Kalimar comes install one knob on the transition box and the lens ring and lens. After that, just the EL sheet and a little more painting!

I just did some more painting on the mystery box. After the pictures I noticed some issues. Looks better now, Thanks for all the help Jerry, I owe you BIG time!

Thanks Jerry and Michael. I'll post up a few more pics of the mystery box finished. I'm going to have a friend laser cut some transition boxes I drew up too if anyone needs a metal T Box.

Here are the cool brass mounts I used for the mystery box.

IMG_1926.jpgIMG_1925.jpg

The EL sheet kit came in. I'll pick up a new female plug kit so I can shorten the wires, micro toggle switch, and some black ABS to make a frame in the view finder.

IMG_1965.jpg

Here's a close up of the mystery box finished up. I used a combo of semi gloss and flat black for some contrast.

IMG_1968.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the EL battery box, switch, and the driver, ran the wiring to the transition box, and laid everything out for the EL sheet. Painted and weathered the Kalimar view finder chrome bracket based off of some original photos Trooper Jerry sent me.

IMG_1992.jpgIMG_1993.jpg

Last edited:
Last Kalimar camera showed up -

IMG_1996.jpg

Robbed the lens, lens ring, and the 2 knobs. Lens is incomplete but with Trooper Jerry's excellent resin parts it will look perfect.

IMG_1998.jpgIMG_1999.jpg

Here's a pic of the complete Kalimar lens next to the one with Jerry's resin parts. The Kalimar also came with 2 lens focus knobs that I didn't have. Score!

IMG_2002.jpg

JB welded in the Kalimar knobs to the transition box. Just have some painting and a few more things to sort out and I think I'll be very close to being done!

Last edited:
Wired up the EL electronics. Used a small molex plug at the view finder so I can easily unhook it.

IMG_2006.jpg

Cut the EL sheet so it just slips under the view finder bracket

IMG_2014.jpg

All cleaned up

IMG_2019.jpg

Light are on!

IMG_2018.jpg

JB Welded the corner seams again on the transition box and painted up Troopers lens parts too.

Very nice. Neat and tidy.

I've been meaning to add EL sheet to mine for years but I'll just screw it up!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back