ANH Luke Macrobinocular Build

Some Progress. There was a gap between the lens plate and the Eumig body so I used the flash plate from a Lietca handheld flash, flattened it out, and shaped it to the camera body.

IMG_1847_zps6aswr9fe.jpg

IMG_1853_zpszreouhxp.jpg

Painted it grey, I think it looks better but most of all it's nice and solid.

IMG_1860_zpsscbmpdnx.jpg

Made 2 thin pieces of sheet aluminum to shim the transition box at the original Eumig view lens for the other side of the transition box that overhangs the Eumig body.

IMG_1849_zps2ygvrqdf.jpg

IMG_1850_zpsprllgngz.jpg

IMG_1856_zpsti8qcshb.jpg

Mounted the transition box with another screw that goes all the way through the Eumig body so it's nice and flat.

IMG_1854_zps5wpg2odx.jpg

More progress pics -

Filed down the Eumig body so that the triangle box would sit level and lower.

IMG_1858_zpsodjozlzi.jpg

With the transition box mounted

IMG_1859_zpsagzhkbrq.jpg

Painted the actuator button as the screen used prop. Still need to weather/distress it a bit.

IMG_1861_zpswyjeyzdl.jpg

Still need another Kalimar for the lens mounting ring & lens, and make the triangle box. Trooper is sending me the unidentified box and the Kalimar lens finger nubs! What a cool guy!!!

Built the triangle box today. Draw, buy stuff, & cut!

DSCF6938_zpsb8dioot6.jpg

Put this together from aluminum C channel, flat stock, and an old speaker grill

DSCF6942_zps42kefs9m.jpg

Hard to see, but a glued in a pan head screw to the small hole and an aluminum pin from one of the piles of camera junk. You could see the half of the big hole in the body of the Eumig below the triangle box. It didn't look good...I need medication!

DSCF6944_zpsdb9g7sh3.jpg

Needs paint, but here it is...

DSCF6945_zpsxm8wdc6f.jpg

DSCF6946_zpseuywfxds.jpg

DSCF6948_zpsb7a2wiqx.jpg

Coming along!

Finished the triangle box with the Eumig button

DSCF6955_zpscfr9vixo.jpg

DSCF6951_zpsffyarptv.jpg

DSCF6952_zpsvnflwwmz.jpg

I chose to leave the Eumig button unpainted for now. I love how the aluminum triangle came out with the speaker mesh. I added a piece of the aluminum plate to the inside of the triangle at the same angle of the face cut so the mesh would have a backdrop. I liked how ZombieKiller used mesh on his, so I tried my version. I know this isn't seen in any of the reference photos, but it finishes it off nice and there's a bit of interpretation on this prop. I also like how the holes I filled in on the Eumig body keep the triangle level to the transition box. I'm real happy how this is coming out for my first prop!

Last edited:
Bought an EL sheet kit and a 23A battery box so I can add the Bantha screen grab slide to the view finder.

Trooper Jerry is sending me an aluminum belt clip, his resin cast mystery side box, and a few other parts so I can finish these up. Jerry's a great guy and incredibly helpful!

Last edited:
Used semi gloss black Testors paint to black out the white lettered ring on the Kaligar lens. I still don't have the guts to paint over the outside of the lens. I just want to see this thing all together first.

Very cool work. I love the mesh and the fact that it's metal.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

What is the the triangle box button from???

You mentioned Eumig??

Is it two pieces??

Tom,

I used some aluminum stock C chanel and flat stock I found at Home Depot. I simply cut it, glued it together w/ 5 min epoxy, sanded, & painted it. The mesh is from an extra speaker grill I got at my local stereo shop bent to fit in the recess. The little round aluminum part w/ the black cap on top is from the Eumig parts removed.

Very cool. I probably have that in my spare parts I got back from Cameron. I wimped out. I was gonna have him just add the video camera to my built Macros. After about ten minutes of trying to take apart one camera I said, "forget that!" and sent the entire parts lot to Cameron and payed him the extra to build them.

Thanks

Tom

I came home to a Priority Mail box from Super Jerry AKA Trooper with a belt clip, mystery side box, lens knobs, and Kalimar lens parts. Jerry you are a fine gentleman. Thank you again! Painted up the belt clip. Sanded & primed the mystery side box too. Now I'm gonna have a cocktail, cheers!

I came home to a Priority Mail box from Super Jerry AKA Trooper with a belt clip, mystery side box, lens knobs, and Kalimar lens parts. Jerry you are a fine gentleman. Thank you again! Painted up the belt clip. Sanded & primed the mystery side box too. Now I'm gonna have a cocktail, cheers!

I think you forgot something,.......

What could it be,........????

Let me think,..........

Oh yeah, I think we need to see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom:D

glad your happy with the stuff :)

PICS !!

I received my A23 battery box from good ol' China.

DSCF7079.jpg

Trooper cool stuff that arrived

DSCF7065.jpg

Bad pic but I used these spacers for the belt clip and they're perfect

DSCF7070.jpg

Here's a few pics of where I'm at right now. Still need the mystery box installed and another Kalimar lens....

DSCF7078.jpgDSCF7077.jpgDSCF7076.jpgDSCF7075.jpg

Botched up the paint on the mystery box. I'll strip it down and get that going tonight. Still waiting for my EL sheet to arrive.

Almost done painting the mystery box. Should have it all finished and attached by Friday! Still waiting for the EL sheet....China post is so damn slow!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back