ANH Luke Macrobinocular Build

Stripped the Eumig
002_zpsf75b27b8.jpg

Cut the bracket to clear the lens plate screws

003_zpseeb81e05.jpg

I want my Seagull knob to "look" like it works - I want it to spin. So I removed the chassis section from below the knob.

004_zpsfeba2039.jpg

Got my Russrep lens plate.

005_zpsb1f58b5b.jpg

Cool, it's back on again. I got home at 3.30am yesterday and was back in work at 7.30 today. No way I'm even looking at it tonight. I'll do some bits tomorrow and get a pic or two up.. ZK corrected my seagull knob, I did want to use the 60's bit of the seagul but thought it wasn't right so I'm grateful for that.

My Seagull arrived, but I nobody was there to sign for it. Hopefully my beautiful wife will pick it up for me today! Still waiting for the transition box from Markus in Germany so I can really put this thing together! Waiting on my tap set too....I hate waiting!

Made some good progress this weekend. I drilled one of the Kalimar button holes wrong. The new Eumig I got wasn't as nice as the mis-drilled Eumig, so I decided to fix the hole. I made a thin piece of metal and epoxied it to the inside of the Eumig so the Bondo would have something to hold on to, Bondoed it up, a little spot putty, primer, and some Wrinkle finish automotive trim paint and it matched the finish perfect. Touched it up and it looks perfect!

002_zps36a23b8a.jpg

The Seagull came and was disassembled, bummer too because it was a really nice mint camera.

001_zps2865fce3.jpg

Couldn't find a 1 3/8" washer for the inside of the large Seagull knob so I had to cut down a 1 1/2" to fit. PITA!

008_zpsd33c6051.jpg

Fit perfect and epoxied in

009_zps2733bd93.jpg

I'll post more in a bit

There is an easier way to put the seagull together without a back plate. If you drill through the center of the Bell and Howell and counter sink it you can put a screw right through the middle and cover it with the Seagull patterned plate.
DSCF4879.JPGDSCF4880.JPG

Marv, I did mine a little different.

Drilled the Eumig and cut down the head to clear the screws in the Bell & Howell Knob

014_zpscd3b925e.jpg

B & H knob

013_zps5008f980.jpg

Notched the maroon B & H knob and tapped it for 3mm screws

012_zps5147f782.jpg

I notched the 3mm screws on the back of the B & H knob to drop down as low as it could in the Seagull knob. I used the Seagull aluminum ring to shim up the B & H knob and the tan plastic ring to keep the B & H knob centered.

015_zps88d49869.jpg

Then drop the black screen printed aluminum ring onto the maroon B & H knob, then the clear lens, then the knurled black keeper ring, then the Kalimar pop up knobs with screws and this side is done!

016_zps00243b78.jpg

Lastly, I painted the Kalimar pop up view finder black. I'll start on the view finder mods when the transition box shows up. Thanks for the help Marv & Markus

018_zps57e30b03.jpg

Last edited:
I used a large thin nylon washer behind the Seagull knob that was about 1mm thick to space the knob from the Eumig body and another small nylon washer between the inside of the Eumig body and the Nylock nut on the inside of the Eumig so the Seagull knob would turn if desired. You can see the metal backer piece I epoxied in to fix my bad measuring/drilling....hey it's my first movie prop replica

020_zps9c38dc1d.jpg

Ok so after shamelessly watching again and taking on board where I had gone wrong I decided to revisit the knob tonight. All going well, I understand what I have to do thanks to everyone helping / posting here, thanks again, don't forget imitation is the most sincere form..... Anyway went to the trinket box for a bolt but guess what. Every tiny scrap bolt smaller than an m6 has gone walk about. Back to the drawing board for me.

The Inside of the knob with the hole drilled through the middle and countersunk.
You don't need to change anything else.
DSCF4882.JPG

Dear Marv,

This would have been very useful, yesterday....thanks though! Mine works too and because you never see any of it, I guess it doesn't matter! The transition box showed up today from Markus, thanks bro! It needs a little work.

Markus - How did you mate the seams? Solder, epoxy, Bondo? Let me know please, thanks!

yup im shamelessly pinching that one too marv, cutting down a washer like HB, sorry my fingers would end up cut down by the same amount (its hard to model with sausage fingers. hb, did you bag that Kalimar?

Took me FOREVER to get real lenses. That hosed my EL sheet setup due to less room inside and they have been sitting unattached since then. Ugh.

Filed off the lip below the window so the transition box can fit snug
003_zps520a86b7.jpg

Made a brass shim for between the Transition box and the view finder chrome frame

004_zps2fda880a.jpg

T Box with shim and tapped screws

001_zpsa927d5b8.jpg

JB Welded the T box seams

002_zps5092d7b9.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back