My Newest Real Parts Lightsaber Addition - A Genuine MPP Microflash Flashgun!!

Edraven99

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sorry folks, I just had to post this to share!

I've never had any intention to build a Vader lightsaber simply because I know how rare vintage MPP flash units are these days and because on the rare occasion that they do become available, they generally cost an arm and a leg (and yes, to my real parts Obi Wan brethren on here I do realize the irony of that last statement lol).

But I randomly stumbled on this MPP when I was searching for Graflex parts for my Luke ESB build. It was for sale at a very good price and located in Canada to boot so I just couldn't pass it up! It just got delivered yesterday and it looks fantastic! I'm stoked!

As you can see, it has the trapezoid shaped side bars in black so it'll be perfect for a Vader ESB build. It unfortunately has the two-step shroud so it isn't completely accurate but beggars can't be choosers.

Take a look!

mpp1_zpsc133ee2f.jpgmpp2_zps1d1b73d6.jpgmpp3_zps7ab10f47.jpgmpp4_zps44b2e0ea.jpg

mpp5_zps2c148a17.jpgmpp6_zps2e98f253.jpgmpp7_zpsdfd6ccd6.jpgmpp8_zpsd9b22643.jpg

As you can see from the last picture I already have a home for it lol. I was curious about the serial number on the main body as from everything I read trying to verify whether this was a genuine MPP before I bought it, it didn't sound like it was typical for MPPs. But after doing a little research, it looks like the serial number is indicative of military issued cameras and accessories. Interesting to note for anyone looking for their own MPPs.

Special thanks to Scott for once again proving that he is the guru for all things real parts Star Wars related, and for more or less telling me that I'd be a dumb-ass if I passed up on this... thanks buddy! :thumbsup

Looks great! Yeah man it's definitely worth picking up and glad you did. Cause if you hadn't I would have. :)

Congrats! This is a beautiful piece and will make an excellent saber. REALLY interesting on the military issue part - I was thinking this was most likely the in GL had when ILM ordered a bunch of surplus. 4x5s were popular during the war

Congratulations indeed ... I just happen to notice this particular MPP seems not to have an additional plastic sleeve under the clamp ... is that correct?

Chaim

Congratulations indeed ... I just happen to notice this particular MPP seems not to have an additional plastic sleeve under the clamp ... is that correct?

Chaim

Nope... No sleeve... Any pictures of what it's supposed to look like?

Interesting... do you know if Balst-Tech or Parks replica clamps have this separate collar? Or are they just one piece clamps?

Parks has it on his MPP Replicas... worth a shot asking him ... you could get a shroud too. Have it crinkle painted to match vintage and you'd be good.

Thanks Scott! I sent them an email off of their website to find out if they sold the plastic sleeve on its own...

Great!

here are the "wrongs" for a ESB vader version:

-missing sleeve, can be replaced with a replica sleeve from Parks but replicas are different, not same profile on both ends, and no brown glue.
-wrong shroud, but it confirms some MPP have the 3 steps shrouds, as I had, and not only the heiland.
lots of parts are common for both brands, especially bulb holder elements.
-small "B" hole, not correct variation the correct variation has large "B" hole, but it's a really small detail.

Other details:
-correct activator bolts, with flat top, not rounded
-correct tapered bars
-correct 3 lines on black part on bottom

The best is to find a blastech shroud, because really close to original stuff, and replace de D ring because it's too large on blastech replica.
I have one but I need it, it's already on a real MPP...
I think I will try to cast my original shroud to make shots from black resin, would be very helpful...

Other interesting details:
-yours has color on letters, not always present, on my 3 Mpp only one had color, it was same body as yours, I mean, number and small "B" hole
-yours has military number on body
-yours has serial number, not always present, some real stuff have no number.

I sthe buld holder entry stepped or rounded?

Big congrats.

Similar story here. A few years ago I was looking for used gear for my darkroom and came across a good lot on ebay. Among the trays, measuring cups, etc., was an MPP. Snagged it cheap. :D

Thanks for all of the insights Patrice! I sent an email to Blast-Tech last week but I haven't heard back so they may be gone for good... on Scott's advice I'm also keeping my eyes open for a MR Vader shroud - they seem to pop up every now and then on evilbay.

Parks got back to me last night and their clamps do come with the plastic sleeve so I'll probably be ordering one of those from them in fairly short order.

I'm not sure if you can see in the pictures, but the pin that holds the lever onto the screw that tightens the clamp is also missing. Instead someone found a teeny tiny cotter pin and used that to hold the lever in... which is kind of neat since it would seem to lend credence to the military use thing.

I sthe buld holder entry stepped or rounded?

I'm not sure what you're asking... do you mean the shroud or the actual tube connector? I'll take a picture of it when I get home tonight and post it, but it looks exactly the same as my MR ANH saber...

blastech shroud is discontinued.
Mr is not ok for this saber, I had one and it's too large, the ID is a little bit too large for a real (or parks) mpp, and you can't screw on directly on plastic shroud (not threaded)
The "not too bad" choice can be a parks shroud,you take one when you take a clamp for the sleeve.
What is quite strange is that the "museum rotj-esb" saber has a thick shroud, closer to actual parks than the old mpp shrouds, but it's necessary a old mpp shroud, makes me think the thick walled shroud should probably exist on vintage mpp, even I have never seen one like this...
If you choose a parks shroud you can do a re-painting like on original saber, for a good looking.
And you make a double hit buying both together
I mean the tube connector, with kind of toric spring inside, but as you mention, it is probably a rounded one, means, good version.

I have seen there is a problem with the lever pin.
Depending on which version you wil make, can be possible to remove the lever for accuracy (ESB version?)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back