Phantom of the Opera (2004) Music box

Geirulf

Ok, I think I've lurked on this forum long enough, as a gift for my girlfriend and to pick up skills I have decided to make the music box from the Phantom of the Opera. This will be my first real project so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. My first priority is the box it's self, followed by the monkey. If I pull those off the mechanism for the monkey would be a nice touch but is probably a stretch along with making it play Masquerade. I would easily settle for making the music and the monkey electronic but actually making it wind up would be a dream.

2004-8.png

This is the best image I can find on Google. I don't have a copy of the movie readily available so any screen garbs would be lovely and dimensions would be even better. Thanks in advance to any one who can help at all!

Having built a replica of the music box in "The Conjuring," I can strongly recommend two music box motors: one to drive the monkey's movement and one to play "Masquerade." I think trying to get the mechanics to work otherwise will be too hard. For the best sound, you will want the music producing works to be screwed to the box for resonance. To get the rotary motion of the drum converted to the motion of the arms way up in the monkey will be challenging. The other advantage of two motors is that your work will be simplified by using a music box motor with a threaded take off in the drum to which to attach your cam or other mechanics for the monkey's arm movement. You may not be able to find one with a threaded drum that also plays "Masquerade." It would be easy to remove the tines from the animation motor so that it is silent. Yes, you would have to wind two motors, but, to me, that is a small price to pay to make the workings so much simpler. There is a seller on eBay (amor2335) who carries lots of useful parts like the motors, themselves, animation arms, on/off switches, etc. good luck and I am happy to help if you have questions as you go along.

http://youtu.be/A8-fJ162ghA

Last edited:
Would you happen to know about buying drums with custom music or is it a thing you would have to do your self?

As far as I know, you buy the mechanism specific to the song. Masquerade must be available. If not, you could certainly buy a music box that plays Masquerade and take its mechanism.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back