MST3K intro globe

The Schlitzie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sorry guys, I don't know the specific name of the prop in the show, lol. I thought it would be a nice easy prop to make. I started out with a beach ball that set me back about $3 and I first tried plaster as a coating over it (which sucked) and I switched to bondo. $9 worth of bondo later I had a small moon! I lightly sanded my work with an orbital sander and made the lettering out of foam. The letters are just temporarily stuck on (I know they aren't placed properly) I will most likely thin out the letters a bit and I'll be covering the globe with a stringy texture out of hot glue and covering the letters in plastidip and then painting/airbrushing it!

Excellent, I planned on making one myself someday but never got started. Maybe you will enspire me to make it a priority!
-E

YES! There needs to be much more MST3K props on this site.

Great start, keep us updated.

Also, you should mount it on some kind of rotating display with a directional light. Maybe a button to play the going to commercial 'dum-dum-Ding-dum' theme :)

Thanks, yeah I was thinking of ways to display it. I only have some real estate in the upper sections of my display area for something this size so I might only have the option of hanging it :p

YES! There needs to be much more MST3K props on this site.

Great start, keep us updated.

Also, you should mount it on some kind of rotating display with a directional light. Maybe a button to play the going to commercial 'dum-dum-Ding-dum' theme :)

I used silicone caulk for the textured surface stringy bits, it turned out pretty well, and wasn't to hard to control.

Awesome! I'd love to see it.

I ended up using hot glue to attach the foam lettering and then sealing them with Plastidip and I just did the texture with hot glue so far (looking back I would have went with caulking or maybe Liquid Nails...As soon as I get my replacement hose for my airbrush I'll get to painting it up.

I'll post pics as soon as the primer dries. :thumbsup

I used silicone caulk for the textured surface stringy bits, it turned out pretty well, and wasn't to hard to control.

Here's mine. I'm working on a satellite too... or as I call it "my second wife" mst3kball.jpg
Now when I find a Gypsy seat I will be complete.

Do you still have the molds of the model pieces anymore? please say yes, please say yes.

Well.....i still have them.....in a way......cut up into smaller part for filling newer molds.... :p The model part on mine are not accurate to what was on the Show S.O.L or the Movie S.O.L model. Just get a few scrap modelkits and you will have loads of parts to mold.

Dude! Nice work on the SOL!

I believe its called The spaghetti logo planet.

I made one myself in 2010 + a Satellite of love model.
http://www.therpf.com/f11/mst3k-satellite-love-update-17-10-10-now-logo-planet-67034/

Awesome! I was wondering what color everyone was painting their planet.

Here's mine. I'm working on a satellite too... or as I call it "my second wife"View attachment 363248
Now when I find a Gypsy seat I will be complete.

I did a light coat of spray on spackle, the matte black, and finally grey primer. I didn't spackle the letters though, just the spaghetti

The best part about replicating the MST#K Planet is that the riginal looked like crap. Not hard to improve on the original!

screen-shot-2012-07-12-at-9-42-16-pm.png

mystery-science-theater-3000.jpg

826663141627.jpg

You can really see how the letters were built in this closeup!
MST3K4.jpg

Yep. And the melty effect was actually an accidental chemical reaction between the foam letters and the expanding foam they used for the spaghetti. I tried to replicate that with clay... accidental chemical reactions make me nervous [emoji16]

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back