The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Chrome, light gunmetal, gold. Chrome or silver undercoat (for the weathering to show through) and a wash of dark-brown ink for grime. Use Alclad II or Vallejo Metallizer if you have an airbrush. Coat with urethane-based automotive clear (you can buy specially-mixed rattlecans at professional auto-paint stores, do NOT use regular clear spraypaint) for durability and to not dull the metallic.

Would you happen to know if these are the same colours for the aero rig? thanks!

Something arrived today:
1500758254242571542015.jpg

I got a couple of busted Walkmans. Both have drivetrain problems, so the gears that turn the tapes are frozen. Usually this means new belts or whatever to fix it.

One day I was doing some research on repairing tape cassette players and ended up finding this on ebay...
New-2in1-Car-Telecontrol-Tape-Cassette-Converter-Adapter-Music-Player-for-SD-MMC-Flash-Card-USB.jpg

What it does is play music on an SD card through your player, very much like those cassette adapters that have a wire coming out of them...but wireless. And since it is not a tape, it does not need the gears to turn at all. You control the music via remote control.

It worked perfectly on both my walkman. They sounded great.

It is also a standalone MP3 player, you can plug in headphones directly into it and it has physical controls right on it. It has decent volume and sound. It recharges via USB cable, no battery swapping. I saw a neat mod where someone drilled a hole in a cassette tape case to protect the unit while playing it this way.

It does have a finnicky on/off switch. I had to insert the tape into one of the walkman in a very particular way to ensure the switch was not bumped off.

So if you got an old walkman that seems to work ok, but no gears turning. You might want to try one of these. It was only about $15 on ebay.

Search for 'telecontrol cassette' to find it.

I got a couple of busted Walkmans. Both have drivetrain problems, so the gears that turn the tapes are frozen. Usually this means new belts or whatever to fix it.

One day I was doing some research on repairing tape cassette players and ended up finding this on ebay...
View attachment 745953

What it does is play music on an SD card through your player, very much like those cassette adapters that have a wire coming out of them...but wireless. And since it is not a tape, it does not need the gears to turn at all. You control the music via remote control.

It worked perfectly on both my walkman. They sounded great.

It is also a standalone MP3 player, you can plug in headphones directly into it and it has physical controls right on it. It has decent volume and sound. It recharges via USB cable, no battery swapping. I saw a neat mod where someone drilled a hole in a cassette tape case to protect the unit while playing it this way.

It does have a finnicky on/off switch. I had to insert the tape into one of the walkman in a very particular way to ensure the switch was not bumped off.

So if you got an old walkman that seems to work ok, but no gears turning. You might want to try one of these. It was only about $15 on ebay.

Search for 'telecontrol cassette' to find it.

I saw that on a Techmoan video. The on-off button can sometimes get in the way.
https://www.amazon.com/Original-MASHTAPE
This is a USB that is styled after a cassette. I have some covers for it on the paper prop thread.

I was wondering if I can be pointed in the right direction of these chrome parts. I am making my mask based on Ein files and noticed that those are not included. I chose his cause we are about the same head size and I liked the look but any advised on more accurate 3d print files would be great.
Side metal parts.PNG

I saw that on a Techmoan video. The on-off button can sometimes get in the way.
https://www.amazon.com/Original-MASHTAPE
This is a USB that is styled after a cassette. I have some covers for it on the paper prop thread.

Those are neat, but a very different product. The telecontrol cassette actually plays the music from the SD Card through the tape head of your machine.

The switch was put in a bad spot. It's on the side of the cassette, so it can catch on the tape carrier and get bumped off. Not a problem for decks and older walkman with "eject" functions.

Now that I think about it. Would be neat to have a label for this thing. Figure out a way to make it without interfering with the physical buttons on the top.

Those are neat, but a very different product. The telecontrol cassette actually plays the music from the SD Card through the tape head of your machine.

The switch was put in a bad spot. It's on the side of the cassette, so it can catch on the tape carrier and get bumped off. Not a problem for decks and older walkman with "eject" functions.

Now that I think about it. Would be neat to have a label for this thing. Figure out a way to make it without interfering with the physical buttons on the top.

Better yet, get one of the Bluetooth ones and then gut a TDK cding and put that tech in. BOOM, add a label, and you are set.

Looking to up my game for Infinity War! I want to try to get a more accurate jacket, if I can. Thoughts on this one?

https://americasuits.com/guardians-.../guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-chris-pratt-jacket

Looks like that site is using Anovos' pics. I'm taking orders for the second run of my jacket, Danny is working on his still I believe. There are some other cheaper options out there. Anovos is offering pre orders I think, and expecting to ship at the end of the year, if I am remembering right.

Looks like that site is using Anovos' pics. I'm taking orders for the second run of my jacket, Danny is working on his still I believe. There are some other cheaper options out there. Anovos is offering pre orders I think, and expecting to ship at the end of the year, if I am remembering right.

I love your jacket but I definitely can't afford it. I think it's hands down the most accurate one and I loved following your build and stuff, but yeah, I'm trying to keep it below 200 dollars if I can help it.

Possible deal for anyone needing a budget Walkman...
A Target store near me was clearing out the toy Walkman for $12.48. But another Target store a little further away was still selling for full price.

So if you got one near you might want to give them a call. A little paint and some decals and these things look just fine for conventions.

IMG_4111.JPGIMG_4112.JPGIMG_4113.JPGIMG_4114.JPGIMG_4115.JPG

Heres the one of the stunt helmets from the guardiansof the galaxy vol 2. I took this at SD Comic Con a few days ago. They only wanted 30,000-40,000 for it lol.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I was told way back in the day by somebody inside that the stunt and hero helmets are physically identical except for the lights.

Awesome. The more pictures I see the more I'm liking it.

Mine should be here any time now too.

EDIT:
If anyone does or wants to do a cartoon Star-Lord. Wal-Mart is clearing out the blue cartoon blasters for $9 each.

This one..
https://www.hasbro.com/en-sg/product/marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-star-lord-elemental-blaster:2BF0DFA4-5056-9047-F5D4-F91EE2EE788D

Also, helmet just arrived. It looks great. I am having some trouble with the catch behind the right side ear staying locked into the slot. Will have to take a closer look when I have the time.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back