The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Has anyone attempted to age the jacket? I like the look in the movie of it being worn in and darker in color as opposed to the brighter red color brand new. Does anyone have experience doing this and would be willing to give some tips? I've looked around online but am still kind of hesitant to just go at it with rubbing alcohol and sandpaper. Thanks!

Though I haven't found it, I'm fairly certain that the buckle on the bag strap is some sort of modded, metal side released harness buckle.
Something along the lines of this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Quick-Release-Buckle_234939554.html - OR these:

http://www.austrialpin.net/products/cobra/pictures.asp

Yep, those quick release/quick connect buckles are similar. I've found 3 legit brands who make them, a few Chinese knockoff brands, and about a dozen different manufacturers of full body harnesses that use them, and I'm not sure who makes the harness buckles. So far, none of them match, not even close enough to have been modified. If Capn Jack above me is right about the same buckles in Aliens Resurrection, that means it's probably a real buckle no longer being made/sold, just something they had in costuming... The search continues!

Ya, those are Cobra buckles, they are used in Dredd stuff. They are still around, but it's like $15-20 for each buckle, which makes it a pain in the butt to get them!

Couple of new shots.
nfuROK1.jpg
wBKShOy.jpg

Ya, those are Cobra buckles, they are used in Dredd stuff. They are still around, but it's like $15-20 for each buckle, which makes it a pain in the butt to get them!
Quill's bag buckle isn't a Cobra, at least not a current one. I actually asked them, sending in a photo. Their reply: "Not sure if that one was ours but I know we can’t supply it now."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it isn't a Cobra. I'm 90% positive it's an older buckle that isn't available anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Would a non functional reproduction be something you guys would be interested in? I might look into modeling and printing for casting

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it isn't a Cobra. I'm 90% positive it's an older buckle that isn't available anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Would a non functional reproduction be something you guys would be interested in? I might look into modeling and printing for casting

Um... Yes, I would be extremely interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Shoot, I looked up the Cobra Buckle patent and looked at how the inside of the thing works. I've already drawn up plans for how to make a functioning one out of acrylic. I'll be making a first version of it this weekend. If it works, I'm buying 1/8th inch brass sheet, a jeweler's saw, and some small metal files and making my own.

Edit: I don't want my discussion of just the bag to take up too much of this thread. So although obviously the bag can and should still be discussed here, I made a thread just for people like me who are focusing on the sling bag.

Last edited:
The sling bag I picked up on ebay is too small, so I'll be putting it back on ebay and searching for a suitable replacement.

I'm going to print/master the buckle and mold it for cold casting soon. I'll have an interest thread up for a one-stop-shop of Quill's accessories (buckle, rocket thigh controls, shoulder patch)

It's a vintage leather sling bag, brand name "Ameribag". I just wanted a base bag that I'm going to heavily modify, but I don't think I can do that much modification

I've been looking for sling bags for the past two days. It seems like most of them are very small, meant for motorcycle riders. That would fit with the aesthetic of Quill's costume, riding pants, leather riding jacket, leather boots. But i think his custom bag is just much larger than most sling bags you're going to find.

I really want to have a bag for dragon con, but it might be too late to start one from scratch. I might just carry a messenger bag made of leather/canvas. I want a place to keep my infinity orb, plus anything I pick up on the con floor. I can try to put together a more accurate bag later.

I've been looking for sling bags for the past two days. It seems like most of them are very small, meant for motorcycle riders. That would fit with the aesthetic of Quill's costume, riding pants, leather riding jacket, leather boots. But i think his custom bag is just much larger than most sling bags you're going to find.

I really want to have a bag for dragon con, but it might be too late to start one from scratch. I might just carry a messenger bag made of leather/canvas. I want a place to keep my infinity orb, plus anything I pick up on the con floor. I can try to put together a more accurate bag later.

That's basically what I did, except mine's a small messenger bag since I couldn't find any inexpensive sling bags locally. I managed to find a brown and tan messenger bag at WalMart that will do for FanExpo (since it's in two weeks!) and I can try to find/make a more accurate version later. I just basically wanted somewhere to put my orb so I can have my hands free! (And a place for my phone/wallet/etc.)

This is the bag that I got. It should be here by the end of the week and Ill take some pics. The size and shape look good to me though.
bag.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back