The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Haha, I understand. Do you think that we may be lucky enough that the actual measurements show up in the Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Art of the Movie book?
I doubt it, but we might get some talking about the difficulty of scaling them so they didn't look like toys in his hands or we might even get images with better objects to scale off of.

...here's hoping.

-Nick

I doubt it, but we might get some talking about the difficulty of scaling them so they didn't look like toys in his hands or we might even get images with better objects to scale off of.

...here's hoping.

-Nick

Man, I sure hope it will give us more information. This really make me miss the times when they made hero blasters out of a bunch of random not-custom-made parts.

But speaking of toys...Have you tried scaling them to the Nerf blasters? That's what I've been trying, and although they aren't screen accurate detail-wise, they may be size-wise? Just a thought

Man, I sure hope it will give us more information. This really make me miss the times when they made hero blasters out of a bunch of random not-custom-made parts.

But speaking of toys...Have you tried scaling them to the Nerf blasters? That's what I've been trying, and although they aren't screen accurate detail-wise, they may be size-wise? Just a thought

That's what I was thinking too. But they could be scaled down a bit for "kids"?

We need a shot of the prop blasters and the Nerf blasters in the same shot for that (And a relatively square framing for the shot) and as far as I've been able to tell no one who has posted pictures from the Hasbro booth at SDCC tried to do that...

DAMN!

-Nick

That's what I was thinking too. But they could be scaled down a bit for "kids"?

I bought one of the blasters (which is now some-what mutilated after attempting to make them screen-accurate), and they are actually bigger than you'd expect. I think they might actually be a bit bigger than the screen used props, but who knows, I could be wrong!

Just for reference, here is a print out of my pattern at what I believe the correct scale to be...with three object that should be fairly easy for most people to find and scale off of. (A soda can, a marker, and a full sized iPad)

image2.jpg

Note: I used the backside because I accidentally printed off an older version of my plan when I did this and the details are all wrong on it. I didn't want that screwing anybody up. I drew the squiggles for me so I know not to use that one.

But even without the details, as you can see these things are HUGE. Much larger than I remember the Nerf blasters being. I feel like they were probably 11-12" if my memory serves correctly.

-Nick

Just for reference, here is a print out of my pattern at what I believe the correct scale to be...with three object that should be fairly easy for most people to find and scale off of. (A soda can, a marker, and a full sized iPad)

View attachment 360696

Note: I used the backside because I accidentally printed off an older version of my plan when I did this and the details are all wrong on it. I didn't want that screwing anybody up. I drew the squiggles for me so I know not to use that one.

But even without the details, as you can see these things are HUGE. Much larger than I remember the Nerf blasters being. I feel like they were probably 11-12" if my memory serves correctly.

-Nick

I forgot those industry standard measurements; diet coke, sharpie, iPad. I kid.

That looks about right to me, from some of the comparison shots. Looks great so far.

Just for more reference, here is the same scaling test with what is left of my Nerf blaster. It doesn't seem very far off to me

IMG_0944.jpg

Just for more reference, here is the same scaling test with what is left of my Nerf blaster. It doesn't seem very far off to me

View attachment 360710

Variations in focal length and the fact that I used an off-brand Sharpie made this a bit of a challenge, but this should be a fairly good comparison of the sizes...

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 7.15.15 PM.png

Chris Pratt just has huge hands that are often covered in gloves when he holds these things, so their scale is thrown off a bit visually in the film.

-Nick

Last edited:
Okay, for the sake of my own sanity, I decided to recheck some of my scaling numbers. Looks like it's a little smaller than I thought, but still pretty giant.

Here are some quick visual mockups:

quill-back copy.jpg

Had to get creative on this one to account for the rotation in two planes, but think I approximated it fairly well:

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 8.24.17 PM.png

I'd still like to do more scaling to put my mind at ease, but I think we're approaching the real size of these bad boys in the 13.4-13.5" region.

Thoughts?

-Nick

And because I can't leave well enough alone, more scaling!

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 9.45.04 PM.png

So now we have 13.878, 13.633, and 13.215. That averages out to 13.575 inches from stem to stern, from tip to tip.

I'll post a few more of these and in the future and update the average, but I welcome other people to post their own so that together we can get as close as humanly possible to the real numbers.

-Nick

If you're looking to save a little on the Fan Jackets price, I picked my jacket up on ebay from "internationalleather" for $150 shipped. The only downside is the shipping time, which took about 10 days (counting a weekend)

I wonder if the TPS-L2 was as expensive (700-1200) before the movie......

Not really, no. I went to a con as Peter Quill in early July, so I was hounding eBay for a while til I picked one up. Working ones went for about $100-$300 by themselves (Higher when packaged with headphones, etc.) and nonworking ones from as low as $30 (Really beat up one) to Lower $100's. Pick up my non-working one for $60, and it's cosmetically pretty nice.

Anyway: Great idea for the thread Kevin, and awesome contributions everyone.

For the guns, I scaled by eyeballing it and they came out pretty large, but now I'm thinking they might be closer to accurate (In size at least, my shape is off) then I first thought. They just felt huge to me lol.

If you're looking to save a little on the Fan Jackets price, I picked my jacket up on ebay from "internationalleather" for $150 shipped. The only downside is the shipping time, which took about 10 days (counting a weekend)

Yeah, that was one of the big perks ordering from fjackets, the jacket came all the way from Pakistan to alabama in like 3 days. I've had FedEx shipments from New York take longer than that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back