The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Awesome thread. I've been working on a costume also. Not quite as complete as this one though. I have a Sony TPS-L2 Walkman, the same as in the movie. It doesn't work properly but few do these days, as they are so old. They're totally fixable though. Might sell it.

How would I get hold of the mask though? 3D print?

Let me know if you sell it, should be able to fix it. Trying to get my hands on one but they are wicked expensive on eBay.

I will but I don't want to break any forum rules. I know what you mean about prices on eBay though. I'm a collector of walkmans, which is why I have a tps-l2. My favourite is my WM EX2HG from 1995. It's chrome/gold and sounds amazing! Love its retro futuristic look! But will let you know if I put my TPS-L2 on Ebay. Think one motor may need reconditioning.

Hey guys! I don't know if you saw it but the FJacket price has dropped from $189.00 to $149.00!! I unfortunately bought it when it was $189 so I'm trying to get my $40.00 back especially since the price drop happened the very next day!!

Capn, i went to Fjacket website just now and it still shows $189

I will but I don't want to break any forum rules. I know what you mean about prices on eBay though. I'm a collector of walkmans, which is why I have a tps-l2. My favourite is my WM EX2HG from 1995. It's chrome/gold and sounds amazing! Love its retro futuristic look! But will let you know if I put my TPS-L2 on Ebay. Think one motor may need reconditioning.

Yeah, that'd be great. The gold one sounds neat, I still have to dig around to see if I have any at all. That motor should be easy to replace. Thanks!

I'd be really interested for other people to try scaling the blasters to see what results they get.

I've recently been working on schematics for a build of my own and got scaling numbers for the length I don't like so I want to see if other people get similar numbers without me posting my own, as that might skew the results.

Here is what I used to scale:

• 2013 SDCC pictures, using known measurements of the Walkman, I scaled the blasters.
• Picture of Quill in his team uniform walking down the hall, scaling off of his 6'2" height
• Entertainment Weekly photo with him pointing the blaster at his head, scaled off of known measurements of the Walkman
• Same Entertainment Weekly photo, scaling off of his central middle finger joint, which I scaled based on his shirtless selfie of himself, using the cell phone as my scale reference.

I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy before I post my number. So if anyone else decides to try to get a scale for these things, just post up your length so we can start narrowing in on what size these things are.

-Nick

I'm going to see if I can fix it first. Would be awesome to get it working properly again. Apparently they sound really good, even by today's standards!

Here's a mockup shot of a complete holster. It's a bad angle, because it is definitely more angled and I sized it after looking at several reference shots. For you "movie accurate" types, what would you do differently?
20140809_132943.jpg

If I was going to really nitpick, The shape is a little bit off from the movie version, which is attached directly to the pants. You can see in this picture that they curve out at the top, though the belt's going to hide that for the most part. I think the back is also angled as you go down the leg in rather than straight up and down.

If you like them though, I'd say don't worry about it. The thing that I would change for sure is the front bit with the two vertical strips and snaps. That is actually supposed to be the same black cloth as the pants, which you can see here.

RumDqna.jpg

Ah ha! Thanks bh1138. I thought I remember seeing a picture where it was curved. As far as being angled, yes, the back is angled instead of straight up and down, it just came out weird in the picture. Good catch on the tab as well. that should be an easy fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be really interested for other people to try scaling the blasters to see what results they get.

I've recently been working on schematics for a build of my own and got scaling numbers for the length I don't like so I want to see if other people get similar numbers without me posting my own, as that might skew the results.

• 2013 SDCC pictures, using known measurements of the Walkman, I scaled the blasters.
• Picture of Quill in his team uniform walking down the hall, scaling off of his 6'2" height
• Entertainment Weekly photo with him pointing the blaster at his head, scaled off of known measurements of the Walkman
• Same Entertainment Weekly photo, scaling off of his central middle finger joint, which I scaled based on his shirtless selfie of himself, using the cell phone as my scale reference.

I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy before I post my number. So if anyone else decides to try to get a scale for these things, just post up your length so we can start narrowing in on what size these things are.

-Nick

You aren't crazy! That's what I've been using, but didn't make a ton of progress. Are you going to post the plans or share them? I am working towards a machined version and would love some better measurements than what I can find.

If I was going to really nitpick, The shape is a little bit off from the movie version, which is attached directly to the pants. You can see in this picture that they curve out at the top, though the belt's going to hide that for the most part. I think the back is also angled as you go down the leg in rather than straight up and down.

[url]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/bedaho/Star%20lord/10458488_10152545820399570_1607992788014663620_n.jpg[/URL]

If you like them though, I'd say don't worry about it. The thing that I would change for sure is the front bit with the two vertical strips and snaps. That is actually supposed to be the same black cloth as the pants, which you can see here.

View attachment 360674

I too agree that the holster in stitched to the pants. Plus that part in front of holster with the 2 button shape is the opening for the front pant pockets.

You aren't crazy! That's what I've been using, but didn't make a ton of progress. Are you going to post the plans or share them? I am working towards a machined version and would love some better measurements than what I can find.
The reason I think I'm going crazy is because all my scaling is showing the blasters to be 14" from tip to tip! I wasn't going to post that number yet so that other people could scale it themselves and my number wouldn't shade anyone's opinion of the size...

...but the more scaling I do, the more convinced I am that these things are HUGE! (And so is Chris Pratt)

By all means, though, please prove me wrong by doing your own scaling.

I don't have any plans at the moment to release my plans, at least until I can build from them to decide how accurate they may or may not be.

-Nick

You're definitely right on that Nick! They are much bigger than you would think. My initial guess was in the 13" range, so you're probably pretty close.

The buckle on his sling is A Stubai as far as I can tell

You're definitely right on that Nick! They are much bigger than you would think. My initial guess was in the 13" range, so you're probably pretty close.

I was afraid of that. Smaller guys like me are going to be dwarfed by screen accurate blasters!

...that said, it will make sculpting some of the details a tad easier! So it's a bit of a give and take. :lol

-Nick

The reason I think I'm going crazy is because all my scaling is showing the blasters to be 14" from tip to tip! I wasn't going to post that number yet so that other people could scale it themselves and my number wouldn't shade anyone's opinion of the size...

...but the more scaling I do, the more convinced I am that these things are HUGE! (And so is Chris Pratt)

By all means, though, please prove me wrong by doing your own scaling.

I don't have any plans at the moment to release my plans, at least until I can build from them to decide how accurate they may or may not be.

-Nick

Yeah, that's big but seems about right. I'm gonna start working on same plans and probably try and cut an initial gun later this week. Thanks!

-Nick

I've been working on paper/pencil and computer 2D blueprints the past two days...having the same issues. It's so hard to scale when all the reference photos available are at different angles. Could you post your measurements so we could compare and/or narrow it down?

I've been working on paper/pencil and computer 2D blueprints the past two days...having the same issues. It's so hard to scale when all the reference photos available are at different angles. Could you post your measurements so we could compare and/or narrow it down?

Right now, all my measurements look like a ransom note, scrawled on random pieces of paper. I'll work on putting some more visual comparisons together over the next week to post here. My main focus is just finishing my blaster plans at the moment, so I'll likely try to get those done first.

-Nick

Right now, all my measurements look like a ransom note, scrawled on random pieces of paper. I'll work on putting some more visual comparisons together over the next week to post here. My main focus is just finishing my blaster plans at the moment, so I'll likely try to get those done first.

-Nick

Haha, I understand. Do you think that we may be lucky enough that the actual measurements show up in the Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Art of the Movie book?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back