The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Thanks for posting that Beechy. That's the jacket most of the cosplayers here have. One guy got a custom version made (I forget who), and a few are making a long-coat by hand, but that's the one many people are using for their costume. Myself included.

The jackets on the market are woefully inaccurate. I understand that they whipped them up based on trailers, previews and what pictures were available. But you can see that what the mass produced jackets interpreted as perforation was the screen-printed design on the body. The bicep strap is actually threaded through oval grommets, not a strap that goes completely around the arm. That's just what I noticed at first glance.

Wes

Owning one of these jackets, the most glaringly obvious error in construction is the shoulder flaps. If you compare the costume display video that was shot at the movie theater, and the jacket link that was just posted, you can see that the flaps over the shoulders are open at the bottom, and the arm details are sewn down. But in the movie, it's the other way around...the flaps over the shoulder are sewn down and the flaps over the outer arms are opened on one side. It's a bit of a bummer because the shoulder flaps open up and pucker awkwardly when you raise your arms.

I still like the jacket and wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, it's a nice piece and I've received compliments on it even from people who didn't know it was part of a costume. Just something to consider if you're going for 100% accuracy.

IronManiac, Is it possible to sew down the shoulder flaps to prevent puckering? Or would it not look right?

I've thought about it, but honestly i don't know enough about making clothes to know what it would do.

I'll ask a friend of mine that helped make my pants. I suppose it's possible.

I'm not disagreeing with the Sketchers at all but merely saying for a quick construction you could look at trendy casual motorcycle boots! Similar how it was discovered that the new Star Trek boots were motorcycle boots from Puma.

PUMA061908_132210.main.jpg

Having worked with leather for six years making Can Jack Sparrow items I am attempting to make the boots using the Sketchers and overlaying and gluing on the leather. I wear Sketchers so I have a rough construction sketck. Now to find the greeblies that hold it all together at Tandy leather. I hand stitch so this will be challenging!!!

My plan is to remove the soles from the Skechers and glue to an existing costume boot and make some alterations, then add the spats :thumbsup

That could work, Kevin. The boots themselves are not that important, because you can't see much of them...only the toe, a bit of the sides, and the back between the spat. I was more worried about getting spats that looked correct, because that's where the focus is. If you could figure out how the spats connect to the boot without using laces (as i did), that would look really good. :)

The studs on the back holds the front and back part of the boot closed around the calf. Think of a ski boot how the front and back pull apart and clamps hold the together in the front. This is similar except theclamps or studs in this case are in the back.

Does anyone know if someone took pictures at the Hasbro booth showing the screen used blasters and the Nerf blasters in the same shot. I'm working on schematics for my own blaster build(s) and having something to scale from would be wonderful.

...rather than trying to assume that the threaded inserts are 0-80's and trying to scale from that. (Which could take a while)

-Nick

Just got to watch the movie again. The ending scene quill was wearing the main short jacket. His pants had a different tint. Could have been the lighting though. Great movie! Cant wait to see what people come up with for accurate costumes.

Welcome! There are a number of star lord build threads in this forum, I suggest you browse through them to familiarize yourself with how other builders have crafted their props. As for painting silver, me and a number of other folks have had good luck with a substance called Rub N Buff. Look into that and see if it's something you could possibly use.

Thanks Heaps IronManiac I'll get stuck into reading em all, already found tons of great advice and will look into rub and buff, sounds like it could do the trick just gotta read up on the buffing process haha.

Hello all. New to the forum and the idea of actually cosplaying myself.

Mainly just to say thanks for the thread and the great advice. Found it whilst googling for Quill's Walkman model. Must admit it's a bit daunting when I see the detail you guys go in to.

I'm happy painting as I do mini painting, so I reckon I could do a good job of modifying / painting those Nerf guns. Thought about doing something similar with a mask, but I'm not sure they're available with a back section.

Was gonna get one of those jackets. Looks like it'd need modifying though and I can't even sew or anything. As for all the boots/trousers/spats/mods. Seems way out of my depth at the mo. Can't afford to pay anyone to do that stuff either. Any top tips for a cosplay noob?

More items coming my way! I found a great looking vintage leather sling bag in natural/tan leather that I'll be modifying and adding on to make it look more like Peter's bag. I also found a pair of gently used Skechers on ebay that I picked up, which is perfect since I'm just taking the soles off anyways!

Lastly, I've 3d printed the buckle, rocket controls, and jacket patch which I'll be mastering and molding soon (probably not for a few weeks at least--too much else to catch up on!). Keep an eye out in the Project Runs forum for an interest thread for your one-stop-shop to Star-Lord's accessories :)

On another note, the second video in Marvel's series "Gear and Garb of the Galaxy" came out today. Not a whole lot new here to see, but I still think it's great to hear the prop and costume designers talk about their inspirations and processes

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! I don't know if you saw it but the FJacket price has dropped from $189.00 to $149.00!! I unfortunately bought it when it was $189 so I'm trying to get my $40.00 back especially since the price drop happened the very next day!!

Awesome thread. I've been working on a costume also. Not quite as complete as this one though. I have a Sony TPS-L2 Walkman, the same as in the movie. It doesn't work properly but few do these days, as they are so old. They're totally fixable though. Might sell it.

How would I get hold of the mask though? 3D print?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back