Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Tortuga
    Aug 7, 2014, 12:26 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #51

The studs on the back holds the front and back part of the boot closed around the calf. Think of a ski boot how the front and back pull apart and clamps hold the together in the front. This is similar except theclamps or studs in this case are in the back.
  2. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Aug 7, 2014, 2:55 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #52

Does anyone know if someone took pictures at the Hasbro booth showing the screen used blasters and the Nerf blasters in the same shot. I'm working on schematics for my own blaster build(s) and having something to scale from would be wonderful.

...rather than trying to assume that the threaded inserts are 0-80's and trying to scale from that. (Which could take a while)

-Nick
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    Aug 7, 2014, 3:06 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #53

This link gives some info on how the costumes were created. Not sure if anyone posted it yet.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/2014...tumeee#slide=4
    From
    US
    Aug 7, 2014, 7:32 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #54

Just got to watch the movie again. The ending scene quill was wearing the main short jacket. His pants had a different tint. Could have been the lighting though. Great movie! Cant wait to see what people come up with for accurate costumes.
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Aug 8, 2014, 6:22 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #55

IronManiac said: View Post
    Welcome! There are a number of star lord build threads in this forum, I suggest you browse through them to familiarize yourself with how other builders have crafted their props. As for painting silver, me and a number of other folks have had good luck with a substance called Rub N Buff. Look into that and see if it's something you could possibly use.
    Thanks Heaps IronManiac I'll get stuck into reading em all, already found tons of great advice and will look into rub and buff, sounds like it could do the trick just gotta read up on the buffing process haha.
    From
    Outer spiral arm of Milky Way
    Aug 8, 2014, 9:18 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #56

Hello all. New to the forum and the idea of actually cosplaying myself.

Mainly just to say thanks for the thread and the great advice. Found it whilst googling for Quill's Walkman model. Must admit it's a bit daunting when I see the detail you guys go in to.

I'm happy painting as I do mini painting, so I reckon I could do a good job of modifying / painting those Nerf guns. Thought about doing something similar with a mask, but I'm not sure they're available with a back section.

Was gonna get one of those jackets. Looks like it'd need modifying though and I can't even sew or anything. As for all the boots/trousers/spats/mods. Seems way out of my depth at the mo. Can't afford to pay anyone to do that stuff either. Any top tips for a cosplay noob?
  7. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Aug 9, 2014, 1:10 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #57

More items coming my way! I found a great looking vintage leather sling bag in natural/tan leather that I'll be modifying and adding on to make it look more like Peter's bag. I also found a pair of gently used Skechers on ebay that I picked up, which is perfect since I'm just taking the soles off anyways!

Lastly, I've 3d printed the buckle, rocket controls, and jacket patch which I'll be mastering and molding soon (probably not for a few weeks at least--too much else to catch up on!). Keep an eye out in the Project Runs forum for an interest thread for your one-stop-shop to Star-Lord's accessories

On another note, the second video in Marvel's series "Gear and Garb of the Galaxy" came out today. Not a whole lot new here to see, but I still think it's great to hear the prop and costume designers talk about their inspirations and processes

From
    Tortuga
    Aug 9, 2014, 1:40 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #58

Hey guys! I don't know if you saw it but the FJacket price has dropped from $189.00 to $149.00!! I unfortunately bought it when it was $189 so I'm trying to get my $40.00 back especially since the price drop happened the very next day!!
    Aug 9, 2014, 8:42 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #59

Awesome thread. I've been working on a costume also. Not quite as complete as this one though. I have a Sony TPS-L2 Walkman, the same as in the movie. It doesn't work properly but few do these days, as they are so old. They're totally fixable though. Might sell it.

How would I get hold of the mask though? 3D print?
  10. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Aug 9, 2014, 9:14 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #60

Helagak has a thread here with his 3d file and a foam pep file.
    From
    Massachusetts
    Aug 9, 2014, 11:24 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #61

hardcorr said: View Post
    Awesome thread. I've been working on a costume also. Not quite as complete as this one though. I have a Sony TPS-L2 Walkman, the same as in the movie. It doesn't work properly but few do these days, as they are so old. They're totally fixable though. Might sell it.

How would I get hold of the mask though? 3D print?
    Let me know if you sell it, should be able to fix it. Trying to get my hands on one but they are wicked expensive on eBay.
    Aug 9, 2014, 11:34 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #62

I will but I don't want to break any forum rules. I know what you mean about prices on eBay though. I'm a collector of walkmans, which is why I have a tps-l2. My favourite is my WM EX2HG from 1995. It's chrome/gold and sounds amazing! Love its retro futuristic look! But will let you know if I put my TPS-L2 on Ebay. Think one motor may need reconditioning.
  13. RPF Premium Member StarLordGoG's Avatar
    From
    Redlands Ca.
    Aug 9, 2014, 11:34 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #63

Capn_Jack_Savvy said: View Post
    Hey guys! I don't know if you saw it but the FJacket price has dropped from $189.00 to $149.00!! I unfortunately bought it when it was $189 so I'm trying to get my $40.00 back especially since the price drop happened the very next day!!
    Capn, i went to Fjacket website just now and it still shows $189
    From
    Massachusetts
    Aug 9, 2014, 12:39 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #64

hardcorr said: View Post
    I will but I don't want to break any forum rules. I know what you mean about prices on eBay though. I'm a collector of walkmans, which is why I have a tps-l2. My favourite is my WM EX2HG from 1995. It's chrome/gold and sounds amazing! Love its retro futuristic look! But will let you know if I put my TPS-L2 on Ebay. Think one motor may need reconditioning.
    Yeah, that'd be great. The gold one sounds neat, I still have to dig around to see if I have any at all. That motor should be easy to replace. Thanks!
  15. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Aug 9, 2014, 1:45 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #65

I'd be really interested for other people to try scaling the blasters to see what results they get.

I've recently been working on schematics for a build of my own and got scaling numbers for the length I don't like so I want to see if other people get similar numbers without me posting my own, as that might skew the results.

Here is what I used to scale:

• 2013 SDCC pictures, using known measurements of the Walkman, I scaled the blasters.
    • Picture of Quill in his team uniform walking down the hall, scaling off of his 6'2" height
    • Entertainment Weekly photo with him pointing the blaster at his head, scaled off of known measurements of the Walkman
    • Same Entertainment Weekly photo, scaling off of his central middle finger joint, which I scaled based on his shirtless selfie of himself, using the cell phone as my scale reference.

I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy before I post my number. So if anyone else decides to try to get a scale for these things, just post up your length so we can start narrowing in on what size these things are.

-Nick
    Aug 9, 2014, 2:14 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #66

I'm going to see if I can fix it first. Would be awesome to get it working properly again. Apparently they sound really good, even by today's standards!
  17. RPF Premium Member MorbidCharlie's Avatar
    From
    D/FW, Texas
    Aug 9, 2014, 2:39 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #67

Here's a mockup shot of a complete holster. It's a bad angle, because it is definitely more angled and I sized it after looking at several reference shots. For you "movie accurate" types, what would you do differently?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140809_132943.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	817.3 KB 
ID:	360633
    Aug 9, 2014, 4:23 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #68

If I was going to really nitpick, The shape is a little bit off from the movie version, which is attached directly to the pants. You can see in this picture that they curve out at the top, though the belt's going to hide that for the most part. I think the back is also angled as you go down the leg in rather than straight up and down.

If you like them though, I'd say don't worry about it. The thing that I would change for sure is the front bit with the two vertical strips and snaps. That is actually supposed to be the same black cloth as the pants, which you can see here.

Name:	RumDqna.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	360674
    Aug 9, 2014, 4:43 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #69

Has anyone been able to identify the buckle on his sling bag?

Name:	quill knapsack.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	410.7 KB 
ID:	360675
  20. RPF Premium Member MorbidCharlie's Avatar
    From
    D/FW, Texas
    Aug 9, 2014, 4:44 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #70

Ah ha! Thanks @bh1138. I thought I remember seeing a picture where it was curved. As far as being angled, yes, the back is angled instead of straight up and down, it just came out weird in the picture. Good catch on the tab as well. that should be an easy fix.
    From
    Massachusetts
    Aug 9, 2014, 4:49 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #71

TheNickFox said: View Post
    I'd be really interested for other people to try scaling the blasters to see what results they get.

I've recently been working on schematics for a build of my own and got scaling numbers for the length I don't like so I want to see if other people get similar numbers without me posting my own, as that might skew the results.

Here is what I used to scale:

• 2013 SDCC pictures, using known measurements of the Walkman, I scaled the blasters.
    • Picture of Quill in his team uniform walking down the hall, scaling off of his 6'2" height
    • Entertainment Weekly photo with him pointing the blaster at his head, scaled off of known measurements of the Walkman
    • Same Entertainment Weekly photo, scaling off of his central middle finger joint, which I scaled based on his shirtless selfie of himself, using the cell phone as my scale reference.

I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy before I post my number. So if anyone else decides to try to get a scale for these things, just post up your length so we can start narrowing in on what size these things are.

-Nick
    You aren't crazy! That's what I've been using, but didn't make a ton of progress. Are you going to post the plans or share them? I am working towards a machined version and would love some better measurements than what I can find.
  22. RPF Premium Member StarLordGoG's Avatar
    From
    Redlands Ca.
    Aug 9, 2014, 5:01 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #72

bh1138 said: View Post
    If I was going to really nitpick, The shape is a little bit off from the movie version, which is attached directly to the pants. You can see in this picture that they curve out at the top, though the belt's going to hide that for the most part. I think the back is also angled as you go down the leg in rather than straight up and down.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...14663620_n.jpg

If you like them though, I'd say don't worry about it. The thing that I would change for sure is the front bit with the two vertical strips and snaps. That is actually supposed to be the same black cloth as the pants, which you can see here.

Name:	RumDqna.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	360674
    I too agree that the holster in stitched to the pants. Plus that part in front of holster with the 2 button shape is the opening for the front pant pockets.
  23. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Aug 9, 2014, 5:09 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #73

Hunt270 said: View Post
    You aren't crazy! That's what I've been using, but didn't make a ton of progress. Are you going to post the plans or share them? I am working towards a machined version and would love some better measurements than what I can find.
    The reason I think I'm going crazy is because all my scaling is showing the blasters to be 14" from tip to tip! I wasn't going to post that number yet so that other people could scale it themselves and my number wouldn't shade anyone's opinion of the size...

...but the more scaling I do, the more convinced I am that these things are HUGE! (And so is Chris Pratt)

By all means, though, please prove me wrong by doing your own scaling.

I don't have any plans at the moment to release my plans, at least until I can build from them to decide how accurate they may or may not be.

-Nick
  24. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Aug 9, 2014, 5:11 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #74

You're definitely right on that Nick! They are much bigger than you would think. My initial guess was in the 13" range, so you're probably pretty close.

The buckle on his sling is A Stubai as far as I can tell
  25. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Aug 9, 2014, 5:17 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #75

Kevin Gossett said: View Post
    You're definitely right on that Nick! They are much bigger than you would think. My initial guess was in the 13" range, so you're probably pretty close.
    I was afraid of that. Smaller guys like me are going to be dwarfed by screen accurate blasters!

...that said, it will make sculpting some of the details a tad easier! So it's a bit of a give and take.

-Nick