The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

It wasn't a very long scene and I remember thinking: "They sure do change clothes alot. Even the Ravagers have stuff in Rocket's size, so why not the Nova Corps?" lol
Look forward to seeing pics of your Rocket display!

Sounds like I need to see the movie again, but you can see in the photos above Quill is in his short jacket, grey/blue shirt, and black pants :confused

I think we should go ahead and state unapologetically: SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD!!

We're going to be talking about the film and reference specific scenes, so if you're in here and you haven't seen the movie yet, GO SEE IT!

I don't think he was wearing blue pants in the final scene. I saw the film twice and was really paying attention in that scene, especially because it's one of the few times you get to see his costume in bright light, so you can make out lots of details. I think in that scene in particular, you're seeing black pants in bright sunlight, so they appear blue. The nova corps uniform is definitely a royal blue, but i think Star Lord's still wearing his black pants. Also, if the nova corps gave him new pants, i would think they'd match the nova corp stuff. But the pants in the final scene still have all of the details found on the pants he wears through most of the film.

Here's a great shot that you posted already, but way bigger. Shows good detail of the back of the boots and spat closures, as well as the jacket and pants.

quill-back.jpg

Oh and be sure to take a look at my thread, lots of pics and stuff on my costume. :)

I've only seen the movie once, but from what I recall of the final scene, Rocket and Drax are both in blue. Rocket's got a little jumpsuit like he has had the whole movie and Drax looks like he might be just wearing some armored Nova pants. Gamora looked like she had a black leather top of some kind and a skirt. Star Lord looks like he's back to the short leather jacket costume he's had for most of the movie. His pants seem to have a bit of a blue tint, as you can see in Kevin's earlier picture, but it may just be a trick of the lighting.

Awesome thread! Pictures are great and perfect for some references. Can't wait to get this costume underway.

Do we know if anyone got good shots of the helmet at Comic Con? Apparently it was on display at Hasbro.

Hi everyone,

I am a brand new user and new to prop building, so please forgive me if this is a silly question but would love some advice if any has the time to give it.

I am planning on building Star Lords blasters out of MDF which is my current chosen medium as I am no way near talented enough to be able to cast them, and I was wondering if any one had some advice on the best way to paint them and/or paints to use to get that hard and sparkly metallic look, like pictured above normally I paint my projects with just standard Acrylic paint then coat with a gloss protective layer.

I did just purchase myself an airbrush, and am looking for to taking it for a burl however, am i correct in thinking metallic paints may be to thick to use with an airbrush?

Thank you kindly for any help you can provide, I am most excited to have been able to join this community, I just wish there were more hours in the weekend to work on builds :)

If that is the scene you're referring to, you can see Quill is in his main costume (short jacket)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/ScreenShot2014-08-06at111250AM_zps9f651fef.png

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/ScreenShot2014-08-06at111306AM_zpsa0cd71c9.png
"..something good, something bad, a bit of both.."

Only Rocket had a blue themed version of his suit on. Quill had essentially the same costume as most of the movie but with more basic, blueish pants. Gamora had a black leathery dress, and I don't know what Drax had on...but he only wears pants and boots, so...

Welcome! There are a number of star lord build threads in this forum, I suggest you browse through them to familiarize yourself with how other builders have crafted their props. As for painting silver, me and a number of other folks have had good luck with a substance called Rub N Buff. Look into that and see if it's something you could possibly use.

So, I've been collecting a TON of reference images of every piece of Star-Lord's get-up for the past few weeks, and this is the perfect place to let them free. Below (starting with props, then costume) are the images that I feel will be most helpful.

To start, high-res photos of the screen-used mask on display at the Hasbro booth at Comic-Con:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407033411.167382.jpg
veq3tqF.jpg
lbtU0gm.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.05.42 AM.png
dCEyCvO.jpg
IitNPI4 (1).jpg
7iEp3SI.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407034650.931084.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407033433.500330.jpg

Next, the blasters, also on display at Comic Con:
Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.05.26 AM.png
QjOENZG.jpg
LFFPDJp.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.06.03 AM.png

Star-Lord's Morag expedition goodies:
Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 10.32.13 PM.png

Close-up of plasma ball:
Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 10.33.05 PM.png

Only Rocket had a blue themed version of his suit on. Quill had essentially the same costume as most of the movie but with more basic, blueish pants. Gamora had a black leathery dress, and I don't know what Drax had on...but he only wears pants and boots, so...

I remember noticing Drax wearing the same exact pants as the Nova Corps troops in that final scene, with thigh pads and everything.

I haven't seen it mentioned here but, joatrash made a very astute observation by pointing out the fabric weave on the body of his jacket in this post here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=219413&p=3383339&viewfull=1#post3383339

I tend to agree with him that it does seem to be a cotton twill that has been screen printed with the design on it, much like the new Trek tunics.

He also has (almost) positively ID'd the correct zipper in this post here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=219413&p=3385337&viewfull=1#post3385337

The jackets on the market are woefully inaccurate. I understand that they whipped them up based on trailers, previews and what pictures were available. But you can see that what the mass produced jackets interpreted as perforation was the screen-printed design on the body. The bicep strap is actually threaded through oval grommets, not a strap that goes completely around the arm. That's just what I noticed at first glance.

One thing we should note... I read somewhere that Disney/Marvel have their own textile shop where they create and produce custom fabrics for the movies.

Wes

I would start looking at motorcycle boots and not necessarily just the soles. Look at some of Matt Munson's HD video. You can see the back of the boots.

Kevin's correct. I was the one that discovered the shoes they used. I looked at photos of the prop display from last year's comic-con and matched the sole details (diamond pattern on the sides, pebble texture underneath) to a pair of skechers I found while shopping at Academy Sports.

Here's a good shot of the shoes. I bought a pair of the brown Skecher Diameter Garzos based on this pic.

icm_fullxfull.41715618_n215iugze6o8s4cssgso.jpg

However, a few months later this picture surfaced showing showing starlord's back. I cropped it down to just focus on the boots.. You can clear see that the shoe soles are the same, but the shoe continues up the back of the leg. Since i know Skechers doesn't make calf-high boots, the only conclusion I could come to is that they pulled the soles off some skechers and built new boots for Star Lord from the ground up.

quill-back-shoes.jpg

These are truly one off pieces that were designed to match the spats. You can see leather details coming up from the heels, and a brown leather tab at the top of the calf. Also, and this is especially trick, the boot has hooks or nubs strategically placed for the spats to hook into and secure themselves directly to the boot. So rather than being laced up or using velcro etc, they are integrated with the boots seamlessly.

I would love to see these boots made custom, but I don't know if anybody here is an experienced cobbler that could put them together. I had a pair of spats made by a leather worker on etsy that you can see in my thread. He did a pretty good job. The color isn't exactly what i want, and the toe piece isn't as accurate as it should be, but they pull off the look very well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back