The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

http://i.imgur.com/5VJZJFil.jpg

I keep looking at this and thinking to myself how much easier this would be to wear at a convention...

I actually thought about cutting out some of the mask and 3d printing one like that... using clear plastic for the "materialization" details.

Great minds think alike! I wanted to go as SL for Halloween this year but I hate masks. I saw the Hot Toys release and thought it was perfect. But I'm hesitant to cut into a perfectly good helmet. My thought was to cut out the front piece and use magnets to attach and take it on/off as I please.

While I'm sure most everyone had come to agree on the curved blasters, just in case there was anyone that was still doubting, here's a screen grab from some behind the scenes footage.

curvedguns-01.jpg

Definitely curved.

I think those are stunt rubber blasters. I've seen studio shots of the blasters where they are clearly not bent or curved.
Having seen the movie multiple times I also think they're not curved, I have only seen them while he's holding them and they seem to be rubber. All the other shots seem very clearly flat. Plus the changes of the costume were either a complete redesign or no change at all, like in the helmet, it seems unlikely that these were the only ones that got a small change.

Started my jet pack build this weekend. patterned on my duct tape dummy, then transferred to foam and begin on the details. I'm going to build the jet pack separately so I can add lights and electronics inside and then mount it on the back. Pretty happy with it so far!

View attachment 725833View attachment 725832View attachment 725834View attachment 725835View attachment 725836View attachment 725837View attachment 725838View attachment 725839

Any updates? Did you make a template or did you purely make it by hand? Would like to make my own!

I think those are stunt rubber blasters. I've seen studio shots of the blasters where they are clearly not bent or curved.

Having seen the movie multiple times I also think they're not curved, I have only seen them while he's holding them and they seem to be rubber. All the other shots seem very clearly flat...

As with any movie they obviously used multiple versions. But they were changed for Vol 2 specifically to be easier to handle and wear in the holsters. (Also so they would give a better profile/silhouette, though I can't remember the exact quote.) The angle/bend was done low, just above the under-barrel, which makes it fairly subtle when viewed from certain directions. As mentioned before, marketing prominently features the angled versions:
attachment.php

They certainly used flat versions as well, but both got a lot of screen time. However, even the flat versions have had quite a few detail changes to them from those in Vol 1 and they also made them smaller. So there are lots of differences between the Vol 1 and Vol 2 guns either way, for those that care about details. The main differences between the angled and straight Vol 2 versions are the cutouts and angle in the grip.

It's no different than what they did with Han Solo's DL-44, which changed significantly between each film and has had every single detail meticulously discussed and documented.

As with any movie they obviously used multiple versions. But they were changed for Vol 2 specifically to be easier to handle and wear in the holsters. (Also so they would give a better profile/silhouette, though I can't remember the exact quote.) The angle/bend was done low, just above the under-barrel, which makes it fairly subtle when viewed from certain directions. As mentioned before, marketing prominently features the angled versions:
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=725562&d=1493587409

They certainly used flat versions as well, but both got a lot of screen time. However, even the flat versions have had quite a few detail changes to them from those in Vol 1 and they also made them smaller. So there are lots of differences between the Vol 1 and Vol 2 guns either way, for those that care about details. The main differences between the angled and straight Vol 2 versions are the cutouts and angle in the grip.

It's no different than what they did with Han Solo's DL-44, which changed significantly between each film and has had every single detail meticulously discussed and documented.

Marketing is also promoting an outfit combination (gear shirt and short jacket) that he never wears in the film. The curved guns seem to be mostly for stunts and, as you said, ease. Same with the small version. Heck even the holsters on his pants change in length. During the dance with Gamora they are nonexistent yet when you see him use his Blasters a few scenes later they stick out a few inches. I'd wager the main hero guns, while obviously slightly altered, are flat. If the curve was intended as an overall design change it'd be far more consistent I feel. Feel the angled ones are intended to be hidden. Plus all the toys feature the flat blasters too. From the figures, pops, Sideshow, to the cosplay nerf-like replicas.

Last edited:
Marketing is also promoting an outfit combination (gear shirt and short jacket) that he never wears in the film.
True, but both are featured.

Same with the small version.
As far as I can tell, all versions of the gun in Vol 2 are smaller than in Vol 1 (which also had different sizes). And as stated, even without the angled lower barrel and cutouts, the blasters are different in Vol 2.

I'd wager the main hero guns, while obviously slightly altered, are flat. If the curve was intended as an overall design change it'd be far more consistent I feel. Feel the angled ones are intended to be hidden.
Quite probably so, as they look kind of flat even in the marketing material, but that doesn't mean they are not interesting from the perspective of props and one of the cornerstones of what the Replica Prop Forum has always been about. Again, to compare with Star Wars- look at the differences between various lightsabers and the obsessions folks have with documenting all the differences, because there's a story to be uncovered behind those differences. The "Greedo Killer" blaster was used in ONE (I think?) scene and barely visible, yet many call it their favorite version and are fascinated by it.

To each their own but I'm still fascinated by the craft and substance of how and why props end up the way they do. Maybe it's because I remember when folks were trying to recreate individual paint droplets on Stormtrooper helmets to match the badly spray-painted originals. And there was one RPFer who meticulously tried to match every single scratch on the Han Solo hero DL-44. (To be fair, that kind of devotion to detail is beyond me, and at the time I thought it was slightly crazy, but I admired the effort nevertheless and appreciate it more as time goes on.) The words "screen accurate" used to be taken less lightly than nowadays. Granted, it's getting harder to really break down the composition of props these days because the studios guard them a lot more and the use of found item has been steadily shrinking the more 3d printing is used, but changes and nuances are there to be discovered nevertheless.

Not to derail, but there's a very impressive thread going documenting the construction of a replica Smart Gun from Aliens which is simply incredible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the gun isn't different. I'm just going based on my limited experience in the film industry haha. There is obviously a "master" design. The flat seems to be it as, while sharing time with promo shots, it's the one used in all the merchandise. Sideshow is pretty damn accurate with how they portray stuff too, which to me was the biggest tell that the intent was for them to "appear" flat to the casual eye. But you're definitely right that there are a bunch of different ones. From smaller to rubber haha. I'd wager the reasons you listed are most accurate. Rubber stunt ones for spinning and not dropping hah. Smaller angled ones possible to sit better on the hips and less movement restriction. The usual list of a billion things to make a cosplayer stressed haha. All I simply meant was I think the goal was to present the blaster as flat at all times, and "hide" when it isnt.

Guys, you have been concentrating on the Zune. But what about the earbuds? :lol

Did a bit of researched and I can almost guarantee that it is the Zune Premium V2 Earbuds.

Don't suppose any of those work do they haha

5 of them are fully functioning, but they are already spoken for. The rest have clean battery compartments and the LED light comes on, but the tape doesn't turn. I'm guessing they just need new belts, maybe a motor. Not sure as I've never tried taking one apart. The cool thing about these BM-12 units is that they have a speaker on the back, so headphones are optional. :D

20170505_094626.jpg

5 of them are fully functioning, but they are already spoken for. The rest have clean battery compartments and the LED light comes on, but the tape doesn't turn. I'm guessing they just need new belts, maybe a motor. Not sure as I've never tried taking one apart. The cool thing about these BM-12 units is that they have a speaker on the back, so headphones are optional. :D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/GirlsofComicCon08/New uploads/20170505_094626.jpg

Well if you ever end up with another working I would be hella interested haha

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back