Subscribe
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2017, 4:27 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3001

JOATRASH FX said: View Post
    Finally got around to finishing a couple of angled Volume 2 Element Guns. Well, almost finished... I still have to add some screws and do some final tweaking. These are for a static display which is why there are wires running out the sides of the grips, which were hydro-dipped and sealed with about 8-10(!) sprayings of clear to add "depth". I'm fairly pleased with the metal finish- Alclad II paints for the bright metal, sealed with 2-part automotive clear before weathering. Gunmetal color is a mix of Vallejo's "Metalizer" range (basically an acrylic, more matte variant of Alclad that doesn't need sealing). The gunmetal is not sealed, but sprayed over the white metal and clear, which will let it weather and scratch naturally over time.

Attachment 763222
    They look great! Definitely makes me want to start another set myself!
    From
    Orange, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2017, 2:30 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3002

Man, I'm half way done printing mine, and I'm really not looking forward to the clean up and painting.
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 5, 2017, 8:59 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3003

For anyone interested, I am starting manufacturing on the second run of my Vol 2 jackets, with an expected delivery of late November. This will probably be the last run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Three panel.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	763958

Thread here.
    From
    Anchorage
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 1:22 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3004

anyone on the fence the zlurpo jacket is on point

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Oct 02, 2 06 39 PM.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	764107
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 5:08 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3005

I've made the leg spats from Vol. 2 but I need to make the boot cover part and does anyone here on this forum know of any template or measurements for the boot covers/ good reference photos?
  6. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    1 Week Ago  Oct 8, 2017, 4:44 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3006

Hey guys. I know the zlurpo jacket is the de facto jacket but if I need something by Halloween what are my options? I have a budget of 200-300
  7. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 9, 2017, 5:54 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3007

Can anyone help me identify the hardware on the jet pack

tClick image for larger version. 

Name:	B621F2DA-7E42-420B-8E20-9039D0822AE0.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	764874
    Last edited by Deadpaul5150; 1 Week Ago at 6:22 PM.
    From
    San Francisco Bay Area
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 2:02 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3008

Does anyone know if the Infinity War helmet will be the exact same as Vol 1 and Vol 2? I'm considering a repaint on mine and it's too hard to see in the bootleg teaser footage. Obviously both the walkman and helmet were destroyed in Vol 2 and we already know the walkman isn't returning so I'm wondering if anyone got a good enough look during the panels this summer or has connections with knowledge.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 2:25 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3009

zeroKilo said: View Post
    Does anyone know if the Infinity War helmet will be the exact same as Vol 1 and Vol 2? I'm considering a repaint on mine and it's too hard to see in the bootleg teaser footage. Obviously both the walkman and helmet were destroyed in Vol 2 and we already know the walkman isn't returning so I'm wondering if anyone got a good enough look during the panels this summer or has connections with knowledge.
    Based on the comic-con poster, it looks virtually the same. Granted, it might be a bit different in the film (and I don’t have the contacts to confirm or deny), but from the poster alone it doesn’t look like it’ll be much different, if at all.
    Last edited by beardo; 1 Week Ago at 2:26 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 7:31 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3010

Does anybody have any templates/patterns for the Vol. 2 spats and boot covers already scaled? I'm doing Star Lord for Halloween and for future cons and I need to go ahead and starting sewing the spats and I'm currently building an aluminum material helmet. Any other templates or patterns for the belt and holsters are welcome.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 11:45 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3011

Still working on the cassette player

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
  12. RPF Premium Member justanuthercap's Avatar
    From
    Central Florida
    2 Days Ago  Oct 18, 2017, 11:55 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3012

This may be a dumb question (but that hasn't ever stopped me before)... but wasn't Vol. 2 shot in 8K? Just curious as to why it seems there aren't many hi-res detail shots to use for reference like we had with Vol. 1. Can you pull frames from a 4K copy (I mean without ripping it completely and using Premiere or something along those lines)? Plus I would think someone could get there hands on at least a couple of the original super hi res frames? (And yes, I realize that the RAW files would probably be 30 or 40 megs each (or more), but cropping out a specific detail from them would be fantastic!)

I bring this up because I was going through my reference for Vol. 1 and saw that one shot of Peter and Gamora when they first meet on Xandar. If I remember correctly this was the first good shot we got of the back of his boots and bag, and it was pretty hi res.

Just rambling a bit I guess, but for us prop and costume nerds I would think the details we SHOULD be capable of getting now would have increased kind of exponentially. Am I way off base here or are these already out there and only "available" to insiders and the like?

I bring it up here because I just started working on my Star Lord again and as far as I know this was one of the first things shot with the new 8K cameras.
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    New Mexico
    1 Day Ago  Oct 19, 2017, 8:36 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3013

Maulevolent said: View Post
    I have that trench and love it. I modified the front panel, shoulder piece, and made a forearm bracer but I agree, it's the best overseas Vol. 1 trench I've seen.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a3da3df02d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1450334125.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d5350a0532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Out of curiosity, how would one go about attaching the silver greebles to the leather paneling? I've 3D printed the vent and silver/yellow/reddish bits but don't want to completely jack up my coat by using the wrong adhesive.
  14. Member Since
    Mar 2016
    1 Day Ago  Oct 19, 2017, 9:07 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3014

4219 Industries said: View Post
    Out of curiosity, how would one go about attaching the silver greebles to the leather paneling? I've 3D printed the vent and silver/yellow/reddish bits but don't want to completely jack up my coat by using the wrong adhesive.
    I use Weldwood contact cement specifically for this application. Works great!

From
    Anchorage
    1 Day Ago  Oct 19, 2017, 2:33 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3015

justanuthercap said: View Post
    This may be a dumb question (but that hasn't ever stopped me before)... but wasn't Vol. 2 shot in 8K? Just curious as to why it seems there aren't many hi-res detail shots to use for reference like we had with Vol. 1. Can you pull frames from a 4K copy (I mean without ripping it completely and using Premiere or something along those lines)? Plus I would think someone could get there hands on at least a couple of the original super hi res frames? (And yes, I realize that the RAW files would probably be 30 or 40 megs each (or more), but cropping out a specific detail from them would be fantastic!)

I bring this up because I was going through my reference for Vol. 1 and saw that one shot of Peter and Gamora when they first meet on Xandar. If I remember correctly this was the first good shot we got of the back of his boots and bag, and it was pretty hi res.

Just rambling a bit I guess, but for us prop and costume nerds I would think the details we SHOULD be capable of getting now would have increased kind of exponentially. Am I way off base here or are these already out there and only "available" to insiders and the like?

I bring it up here because I just started working on my Star Lord again and as far as I know this was one of the first things shot with the new 8K cameras.
    so the film raw was shot in 8k but the digital intermediate was done in 2k as well as all the VFX is in 2k. so moot point of them filming with an 8k because at the end of the day it was rendered down to a poor 2k.
    the UHD is an upscale so not true 4k
  16. RPF Premium Member justanuthercap's Avatar
    From
    Central Florida
    1 Day Ago  Oct 19, 2017, 3:16 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3016

Thanks that clears up that question.
  17. Member Since
    Jul 2013
    From
    New Mexico
    22 Hours Ago  Oct 20, 2017, 1:38 AM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3017

Maulevolent said: View Post
    I use Weldwood contact cement specifically for this application. Works great!

That worked great! Thanks!
  18. RPF Premium Member justanuthercap's Avatar
    From
    Central Florida
    2 Hours Ago  Oct 20, 2017, 9:30 PM - Re: The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread #3018

Does anyone have a clear shot of the back of the Vol.2 boots? Got my leather just itching to get started.