Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor SKS Props

SKS Props

Sr Member
Hey everyone!
I started a new build about a month ago when I found out that I would be going to DragonCon this year. I knew that I needed something new and awesome so I decided that I would complete my Dragon Age Inquisitor costume. I completed the dragon helm last December you can see the build thread here http://www.therpf.com/f9/dragon-age-inquisition-dragon-helmet-complete-updated-6-21-2014-a-201412/

I plan on putting out a very detailed build guide once the costume is complete and the convention is over. This will be just a basic guide so that everyone can see the progress from now till DragonCon. The game does not come out until November so all of my reference pics are just small screen shots leaked to the internet.

I had never used the eva foam to make a complete costume so I thought this would be a great opportunity. All of the armor is constructed out of foam squares 1/2 inch thick that I pick up from harbor freight. The "leather" under armor is made using foam rolls 1/4 inch thick also from harbor freight.

First things first I had to make a really cool and functional chest piece. This chest armor was of my own design with elements of the game incorporated into the details. I made templates out of card stock and transferred those to the 1/2 inch foam. All of the pieces were cut out using a band saw and then detailed using a dremel. The foam was formed using a heat gun and attached using super glue.

dai1_zps5c618ced.jpg

#sksprops #dragonage #dai #stevenksmithprops

Last edited:
Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon Updated 8/4/2014

The Dragon Age Inquisition "leather" under armor was cut from the 1/4 inch foam and was detailed using a wood burning tool and hand stitched. Furniture tacks were used for the metal rivets on the armor and leather. Using the foam will make the cosplay costume hot but extremely light and cost effective.

dai2_zpse56086e9.jpg

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon Updated 8/4/2014

Sweet helm. where do you buy your clay? I've always wanted to do a clay piece, but Hoby Lobby it is like $50/lbs!

I used monster clay from monster makers to sculpt the Dragon Age Inquisition helmet then resin cast it using smooth-on products

The shoulder pads were also made out of eva foam and detailed with a wood burning tool

dai4_zpscdce460b.jpg

dai5_zps2d744494.jpg

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/5/2014

This is turning out AWESOME. What do you plan on coating the foam with?

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/5/2014

I usually loathe foam armors, but I can get behind this one, mostly because it doesn't look like foam (because time and attention was put into it), and I suspect after the finish work, won't resemble a marshmallow.

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/6/2014

I would suggest going with real leather strapping. I would imagine the foam will wear pretty quickly and rub all the paint off, if not snap apart entirely.

Looking forward to your how to's for the paint, looks fantastic :D

I second this.

I would suggest going with real leather strapping. I would imagine the foam will wear pretty quickly and rub all the paint off, if not snap apart entirely.

Agreed. It is nice dedication to the foam build, but this foam pieces will wear quick.

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/6/2014

I did some test pieces and wore them around the shop for a couple of days and they have held up fine for con wear

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. It is nice dedication to the foam build, but this foam pieces will wear quick.[/QUOTE]

The trick is the buckles are fake the straps Velcro into place :)

- - - Updated - - -

Leg and back armor

dai11_zps3b500ad2.jpg

dai9_zps1af70af4.jpg

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/7/2014

Shin and boot armor. All constructed out of eva 1/2 and 1/4 inch foam

dai14_zpsc05da105.jpg

dai12_zps52237de6.jpg

dai13_zps96237c26.jpg

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/11/2014

I'm really interested to know how you got those curves on that shin piece... Heat gun and a pipe?

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor Build for DragonCon updated 8/11/2014

Here is my eva foam to leather transformation. These pieces were all painted by hand using liquitex acrylics

dai18_zps6c76b6ee.jpg

dai19_zpsd6e8a7c8.jpg

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Armor for DragonCon updated 8/13/2014

GREAT SCOTT! This is friggin amazing, you're doing such AMAZING work and super fast. I love the idea of making straps out of EVA and feel really stupid for never thinking of it.Your painting is amazing too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back