Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

Zombie Killer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Like there aren't enough OBI saber threads! lol Show off your stock or modfied RE weathered sabers. Roman did an excellent job on these, As awesome as they are it's always cool to add on some real parts. I got a nice lightly rusted Graflex clamp with a rusty lever. Love it! Also added some real transistors, opened one washer so the trans sits flush and also added an exactra bubble. Just waiting for an AS handwheel from Marv and I will be done. Here is how it sits ATM. Thanks Roman once again!

7yXrAfV.jpg

4qKrxtM.jpg

sfpU0MT.jpg

DRBD1cT.jpg

t8vLkCD.jpg

ggbzV9d.jpg

DtTuqJ7.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Chaim , yes my first almost completed one lol. Kinda wish I had my balance pipe again. haha. It's all good though . Glad it will go to an all original parts saber. Can't wait to see yours complete. I am happy with tis one. It's all I need. Next up, Luke saber!

bwilterwood, they were around $400 but you can build one a bit cheaper I am sure.

FAntastic upgrade bud!!
Yes the clamp a defenite plus and looks like the years did a perfect weathering for you !
Those transformers can't wait to get MY paws on them too.
And as always a very clean and perfect build/addition by you sir!
Mars

I'll be posting pics later next week. I have an authentic Gralfex clamp, transistors and did a little more weathering on the emitter. Roman sent mine with a highly chomy polished sink knob, just the hairline scratches that would be on a real one form years of handling is present. This is probably the 8th ANH obi saber I've had and I am really enjoying this one.

Great thread! Ok, here's mine. I also replaced the clamp with a real vintage Graflex piece. The booster and the grenade got rolled around on concrete steps and then beat up with metal files. I removed some of the weathering from the handwheel and the transistors. I also wanted a darker and more weathered look on the stem and the windvane, so I used some Birchwood Casey Brass Black to get it closer to the color of the grenade. Very happy with how that looks now. The bright brass inner fin part was tarnished with ammonia fumes for that "found in a box of junk" look.

I sold my MR version to get this, and boy am I glad I did. Roman really did an excellent job.

Yes Matt, this is exactly how I want to alter my Roman's, but I still have to learn everything about the weathering techniques! I hope to find an original hand-wheel somewhere.

It's still a work in progress Zombie Killer ... I won't start the built on my all real parts until I have the grenade section that I like ... your emitter and handwheel will be used ... thx ;)

Chaim

Looks great Matt, I may have to try that ammonia trick on my vane too.

Mars and Mark , Thank you both for the kind remarks, I really appreciate it!

Yeah Zombie Killer, really nice modifications. Looks perfect. I'd like to get a real handwheel too. Maybe someday...

Come on people! No more pics?

I did the ammonia treatment yesterday. It worked great. I think I had it in there for abut 4 or 5 hours. It darkened up the bright brass nicely. I am just waiting on the vintage graflex clamp and the MA205 transistors to arrive. Then I will post pics.

Okay ... so can someone explain to me why you would prefer a much lighter and chromed plastic vintage AS handwheel on your Roman's Empire replica as an upgrade, instead of the one that he already offers? Would that not bring an unbalance ... to the lightsaber ... not to mention the force ;)

Chaim

Depends what you are going for. All of the sabers made from real parts have shiny pummeled including the original. Chrome may chip but for the most part will still shine. Different strokes for different folks :)

Peachfrog35, I agree; weathered chrome might have scratches and spots, but will still look like chrome. Roman's weathered knob, although pretty neat, has some smears of dirty dark spots, but doesn't look exactly like a weathered chromed knob.

I'm glad someone understands...was starting to feel crazy.lol all we must do is look at the original prop pics..chrome. I love what Roman did with the weathered ones but just requested one that looked more like what my mind thinks of...just my opinion. Roman was happy to oblige.

I do like the idea of the aluminum handwheel. I have been considering taking the one that came with the saber and getting the polishing discs out. Would probably have to hit it with some sandpaper to smooth it out but it should shine right up. I'll make a decision when the AS ones show up. They will be here tomorrow or wed.

I bought one of these and I have to say I'm really pleased with it. Will post pics soon.
If I can find a vintage clamp somewhere I'll probably go for it but I'm not sure where to source the transistors or how to apply them. Are you guys gluing them on or...?

Thanks to Roman for the incredible work and making these available.

Last edited:
I used LM301A but you can also use something like a LM309H or MC1556G or LM703L or any TO-39 package transistor, regulator or iC that is low height. Some To-39's are too tall but you can tell that visually. Some of these TO-39's have flatter tops than others. I looked for ones that had squared off top edges but it's all personal preference. I cut the wire leads off mine and used car windshield mirror glue to hold mine on. That mirror glue is tough and sticks to smooth surfaces very well. Super glue may work too but I have bad luck with super glue on metal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back