Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

What process did you use on the emitter to get that more stripped look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The emitter is one part I didn't completely reweather. That was pretty much all Roman. I just made some tweaks. If you have a steel balance pipe, perma blue and some fine steel wool can get you that look. Spinning the balance pipe on a drill and holding the steel wool to it would probably work.

I got a few lightsaber stands from PastorJedi. These things are great! I'm finally able to break out the plaque I had made last year. The signature is fake (of course :p), but I don't care, I love it.
Here it with real transistors.
image.jpeg

Boba Fett looking on.
image.jpeg

Here's some updated pics of my Chronicles version Roman MK1. I posted a few weeks ago, but decided I wasn't happy with it. I felt the paint job I did was rushed and sloppy. So I went back and sanded that down to a less heavy finish. Threw the transistors in some oven cleaner for about 15 minutes. Chunked up the base of the emitter, dinged the wind vane, sanded the clamp and soaked it with vinegar. Then finally, used a combination of peroxide, vinegar & salt to rust the grenade up a bit.

I feel this is one of those sabers that will always be a WIP, but I'm okay with it because I love to tinker. Thanks to russellsch for the clamp weathering tips and to everyone else here in the community! I learn so much from you guys everyday about this hobby-turned-passion!

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

IMG_0075.JPGIMG_0077.JPGIMG_0078.JPGIMG_0079.JPGIMG_0080.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I have a booster that I THINK is Russ rep ... I believe it's painted gloss black.

I want to weather/blue it, so the logical idea is to strip the paint and drop in bluing... but I know taking the paint off this is going to be a nightmare.

The last time I took paint of something like this I used paint thinner and 30 bucks in steel brush pieces for my dremmel.

12648312254_67aa16f8db_c.jpg

There's GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Any ideas out there?

Buy one from Roman and replace it, then stick that one on a custom saber.

VILE TEMPTER! :D

The idea is to have a SMALLER collection... that's just setting up for more sabers!

I mentioned in my other thread I was cleaning out my boxes and was horrified/stoked to find I actually had enough random parts for this:

30058839326_3f419b0c78_c.jpg

So I decided it would be a weathered version for a crystal chamber I bought.

I would prefer to just use this....

Here's some updated pics of my Chronicles version Roman MK1. I posted a few weeks ago, but decided I wasn't happy with it. I felt the paint job I did was rushed and sloppy. So I went back and sanded that down to a less heavy finish. Threw the transistors in some oven cleaner for about 15 minutes. Chunked up the base of the emitter, dinged the wind vane, sanded the clamp and soaked it with vinegar. Then finally, used a combination of peroxide, vinegar & salt to rust the grenade up a bit.

I feel this is one of those sabers that will always be a WIP, but I'm okay with it because I love to tinker. Thanks to russellsch for the clamp weathering tips and to everyone else here in the community! I learn so much from you guys everyday about this hobby-turned-passion!

Comments/suggestions are welcome!

View attachment 669423View attachment 669424View attachment 669425View attachment 669426View attachment 669427

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey now, that looks great! Love the grenade section too. I am not brave enough to ding my grenade area.... yet. & yes, I agree, this saber will be a "work in progress" for a while. That's what I love about how Roman made this. It's totally customizable!

I keep staring at my Roman's OBK and readying the dremmel, sandpaper, files and AB... and I just can't do it.

Give into the dark side :devil

No, seriously, go for it. Believe me, these babies are built like a tank, you'll have a tuff time hurtin 'em. Once you start, you're gonna be happy.

& you know you wanna! :lol

VILE TEMPTER! :D

The idea is to have a SMALLER collection... that's just setting up for more sabers!

I mentioned in my other thread I was cleaning out my boxes and was horrified/stoked to find I actually had enough random parts for this:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8113/30058839326_3f419b0c78_c.jpg

So I decided it would be a weathered version for a crystal chamber I bought.

I would prefer to just use this....

Wish I had enough spare parts for another Obi lightsaber :D
Looks great!

I keep staring at my Roman's OBK and readying the dremmel, sandpaper, files and AB... and I just can't do it.

The first cut is the deepest. After that it's no big deal.

So I have a booster that I THINK is Russ rep ... I believe it's painted gloss black.

I want to weather/blue it, so the logical idea is to strip the paint and drop in bluing... but I know taking the paint off this is going to be a nightmare.

Any ideas out there?

Get yourself an actual paint stripper, either aerosol or liquid form. That paint should come right off.

The last time I took paint of something like this I used paint thinner and 30 bucks in steel brush pieces for my dremmel.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7440/12648312254_67aa16f8db_c.jpg

Any ideas out there?

I know this idea is an investment but it's the fastest way. A grinding wheel with a wire brush attachment takes just seconds to strip the paint off these boosters. Seconds...

I know this idea is an investment but it's the fastest way. A grinding wheel with a wire brush attachment takes just seconds to strip the paint off these boosters. Seconds...

Looks like I have a teecrooz solution coming... and this booster will go back in the box or paid forward at some point in time!

Though I would LOVE new tools, I'm moving to a shoe box, so not in my future...

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back