Food-Safe Plastic?

Checksum

I realize that this topic might not fit in the "general modeling" forum but its the closest to what I am trying to do... So
I am looking to make some custom Ice Cube Trays of various shapes that are just not available anywhere. My question is about what to use to make a food-safe mold. I have some Smooth-Cast 305 but Im pretty sure thats not food safe. I would like the trays to end up being a semi-hard plastic rather than silicone. Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks,
Checksum

I would use the food safe silicone. and make a rigid base for the silicone. almost like a jacket for a regular mold. you could just get some MDF and make a small low profile box for them. simple and cheap.

Al

Is there such a thing as food grade plastic? I mean in relation to making a mold with. Do they make anything that you could use to make a tray? I would rather not use silicone because I have heard really bad reviews about silicone and Ice cube trays as the Ice gets stuck in the mold and wont release and you end up tearing or ripping a hole in the silicone...

I was gonna say vacuform as well, but SeismicA beat me to it. PETG has a little flex to it so it should work pretty well.

Just remember: No undercuts! You'd want plenty of draft on your patterns anyway for ice cubes.

Vac forming is a good way to do it. I didn't mention it because I figured what ever you wanted to mold had more detail than vac forming would pick up. but its a good way to if theres not a lot of detail needed.

Hey guys,
I have been thinking and I would prefer to stay away from vacuforming as well. I still want to cast it in plastic. Is there any reason why I cant just skip using silicone at all and use a version of smoothcast that is food grade? Basically making a mold out of hard plastic. Im not worried about ruining my subjects. Which will be golf ball sized rocks or a rock that looks like a diamond or a ruby with the facets.

The vac form idea is good - you can made a hard mold out of Smooth-Cast 385 then form the food-safe sheet plastic over it.

Here's the lesson to learn - what's the technical difference between the Smooth-Cast stuff and Kydex, besides the obvious sheet versus liquid part?

Thermoplastic vs Thermoset.
THERMOPLASTIC: Kydex, PETG, ABS, HDPE, Acrylic.. all that stuff is in the thermoplastic bucket. It forms with heat - basically, forming it is a process of controlled melt. The heat is external. You apply it.
THERMOSET: Epoxy, Urethane, Polyester.. those are all thermosets. They generate heat as a by product of the chemical process when you mix the two components together. Big word here is exotherm.

You won't melt and pour a thermoplastic with any predictable measure of success or injection molding wouldn't have been necessary, and you aren't going to melt a thermoset for any useful purpose at all except "because I wanted to".

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back