Must buy movies of the 60s-90s?

Wes R

Legendary Member
I want to expand my dvd collection to cover more than just 50s scifi so i figured i'd ask you guys to see what movies from all genres that you'd like from this 30 year period. Dramas, scifi, comedy. Just about anything. This is also so my kids know that the world existed before they were born and can see what life was like way back when as they get old enough to watch them with me. I'm getting the TCM video guide at some point as they have listings by decade but i figure this would help too. I missed out on a lot of good movies in the 80s by being so young it seems.

Lawrence of Arabia, Network, Being there, all of Kubricks movies off the top of my head

I want to expand my dvd collection to cover more than just 50s scifi so i figured i'd ask you guys to see what movies from all genres that you'd like from this 30 year period. Dramas, scifi, comedy. Just about anything...
Just a suggestion--you might want to list a few of the movies you like from the genres you're interested in so that the members here can gauge your tastes; it would probably cut down the "trial and error" phase of collecting.

For example, I've had countless people recommend "good" movies to me. In most cases the only way I could see these movies was to buy the DVD, so I did. And I now have several DVDs taking up space in my collection that I'll never watch again because I thought those movies were complete rubbish, or at least not particularly good. Now, I'm not saying the people who recommended those movies to me were wrong about them, I'm only saying they weren't to my liking. My point is, taste is subjective, and without knowing your tastes we could be wasting your time by recommending movies that you won't like.

This area is so broad when it comes to the question, I don't even know how to respond. And I've got a small bit of a collection and am a film enthusiast.

My attempt at a wide variety:

Blade Runner: Final Cut (Please watch Dangerous Days: Making of Blade Runner)
Harold and Maude
Ghostbusters
Pulp Fiction
Big Lebowski
Lord of the Rings (extended)
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Lonesome Dove
Princess Bride
LA Confidential
Silence of the Lambs
Tron
Robocop
Akira
Goodfellas
From Russia With Love
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Saw

All Ray Harryhausen films.
All Kubrick.
All Spielberg.
All David Lean.
All David Lynch.
All Scorsesse.
All Zucker Abrams Zucker.
All John Carpenter.
All Michael Mann.
All Ridley Scott.
All James Cameron.
All early Lucas.
All Roman Polanski.
All John Landis.

thats a good start ...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back