ANOVOS Darth Vader

That´s all so nuts...people who wants to buy an lineage helmet should do that..and people who wants an artists work should buy this.
Or buying both.I would not destroy a Darth Ugly helmet if I would get one as a birthday gift.So I´m not a hater like he always says.:lol

Thats the thing, Mac feels I am slandering him when I believe a lineage helmet trumps the Quasimodo. He even banned me from buying one! But that is not the case, I am the kind of guy who comes on strong when it comes to Vader as I am very passionate about the subject. I respect both Macs and Bookfaces work. Remember I use to own the Darth Ugly before I upgraded to a stone. I loved that helmet and the quality Bookface produces. There was a mishap with his original clear coating but he helped me fix it really easily. Bookface is a wonderful guy to work with despite anything I have said in the past regarding opinions and such.

Just wanted to chime in here and say thank you again to everyone who gave guidance and advice to me in my search for a Vader helmet. There are a lot of really amazing options to choose from and I appreciate all who have tried to help sort through them all. My quest for an awesome replica has taken some interesting twists and turns. I don't want to say too much in case it turns out to be nothing special so I will hold off until I can investigate further. If it turns out to be something cool I may need some help in identifying exactly what I may have stumbled on.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with Gadget Dynamics. My best advice would be try to get your money back while you can ! Beware of this company ! I had a very similar situation to yours. I had preordered an expensive item from them off eBay, waited patiently even after their "regular monthly updates" stopped coming in. I waited for almost two and a half years. The owner or whomever is in charge of their customer service ( I believe his name was Chris ) is a real piece of work. They first refused me any refund at all. Then when it became clear I was becoming upset. All I was asking for were the updates I was promised but kept getting the same run around. "They'll be available in the next wave within the next 3-6 months". It wasn't until it was clear I was getting upset that they finally offered me an in-store credit for anything else on their website. But when you look at their website, 90% of the items they are selling are preorders and they have very little in actual stock. It seems like a shady scam. And they only offered me this after I threatened to go to eBay and report them for breaking policy ( eBay policy says you can't offer a preorder more than 30 days before the items release ) and warning other customers to steer clear of doing business with them. The guy actually then threatened to sue me for telling other about my experience with them. I reminded him that he can't sue me for telling the truth and it's not slander if it's true. This is after waiting patiently for two and a half years. Not once in all of my correspondences with them did they offer an apology for the ridiculously long wait. I told them I wasn't interested in any other preorders from them and that all I wanted was the item I originally paid for and an honest answer about when I would receive it. That's when the guy finally threw up his hands and said " here's your money back. Now just go away". So if you are having problems with them still I would say you've heard a lot of negative reviews about their company and that you'd like your money back. Tell them you will have to get eBay involved for breaking policy if they aren't being helpful or accommodating and remind them you have a voice and the more angry customers they create the faster their company is going to crash and burn. Trust me I've been a collector my whole life and felt with countless dealers and distributors and I have never encountered such terrible customer service and lack of appreciation for ones customers. Steer far clear of Gadget Dynamics and get your money back ASAP.
Thanks for your advise, right now they offered me Store credit, they have a few pieces im actually interested in, so I dont know what im going to do, many many thanks for your comments!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G955U mediante Tapatalk

To get back on topic...
Has anyone ordered and received the Premiere line ensemble? I was hoping if and when those were available they would offer the higher end accessories (like the wool cape) like they did with the standard ensemble. I've asked Anovos on several occasions and they have no answer.

To get back on topic...
Has anyone ordered and received the Premiere line ensemble? I was hoping if and when those were available they would offer the higher end accessories (like the wool cape) like they did with the standard ensemble. I've asked Anovos on several occasions and they have no answer.

i missed out on the ensemble but I was also hoping they would offer the different pieces of the costume separately. Maybe if there is enough demand.

Thats the thing, Mac feels I am slandering him when I believe a lineage helmet trumps the Quasimodo. He even banned me from buying one! But that is not the case, I am the kind of guy who comes on strong when it comes to Vader as I am very passionate about the subject. I respect both Macs and Bookfaces work. Remember I use to own the Darth Ugly before I upgraded to a stone. I loved that helmet and the quality Bookface produces. There was a mishap with his original clear coating but he helped me fix it really easily. Bookface is a wonderful guy to work with despite anything I have said in the past regarding opinions and such.

When I ban someone from owning my work, it's because I do not want someone's online conduct associated with my work. Since you're been making posts imply expertise in the prop world fueled by your willingess to throw me and my work under the bus, would you care to explain to the public the full circumstances why you were banned?

That will help readers understand the motives and sentiment behind posts over the past two years. Much like this one:

That is actually very well said. I wasnt knocking anybody wanting to get the Quasimodo. My point was the fact that Mac hides the inaccuracies and the fact that its a fan sculpt with his "Emotions and capturing the look" speal. It ropes uneducated(with vaders) people into thinking this helmet is the closest and best option out there.

Honestly, if you don't like Quasimodo's aesthetics, that is purely your prerogative, as I told Kroenen77. For many years, I have shown work-in-progress photos and have shared much information openly. What is the basis of you implying I'm deceiving the public through hiding inaccuracies?

But, all attempted revisionism, distraction and misdirection aside, what you have posted is a personal attack. It's vengeful. You are maligning my character deliberately.

And if you mock something I've taken and turned into an art process, at least present it factually first, not twist it so it becomes more mockable by you.

This is not "prop passion". This is hostility trying to pass itself off as prop expertise.

If people want the truth, visit my FB page. I'm only a text chat away. To recap:

Quasimodo's initial sculpting was fully documented here. Newcomers, unfortunately, miss out because of Photobucket's new pricing and policies but there are myriad witnesses to this work here on RPF and The Prop Den.

My V2 wasn't as openly documented so as to not give recasters and vendors a developmental roadmap to improve their products - because I wanted to prove it was possible to add features without going the lineage route, whereas lineage vendors were modifying their products (even recasting an eFX) and were STILL getting it wrong.

It's insightful to see what people would post when they think I'm not on RPF anymore. It would be thoughtful if you responded appropriately.

Can we all get back to ANOVOS?

Mac has consistently and openly shown his work on various Vader projects going back many years both here and at the Den. To suggest he has been trying to hide what his projects are or what he has altered does not reflect what I have witnessed. If only everyone were as open about what they were doing with their projects.

Mac you are the one dragging this out. I have said nothing to degrade you or the Quasimodo. All I said was Lineage will trump fan sculpts.

I never said screw mac and the Quasimodo. This needs to stop. Mac you have shown to me your true character and continue to show it over these years that I have not done a thing to you. At best I said stuff about Bookfaces paint quality in the heat of the moment and I took that back. I have no idea what I have done to you mac.

There are very few people out there that would be interested in purchasing a helmet that was directly cast from an original screen used helmet. They are beat all the crap, and not in very good shape these days. CFO helmets can trace their lineage directly to a screen used helmet, but Bookface and CSMacLaren have created a helmet that is as screen accurate as anything you can buy out there. I believe they used their sculpt in Rogue one as well.

I love Mac and Bookface's work, and I always recommend them to people looking for a good Vader -- especially when someone doesn't want to pay $1,500+ USD on an authentic cast helmet. I even recommend the Darth Ugly over the EFX PCR to people on a tighter budget -- I even donated a Darth Ugly to a local Make A Wish Foundation kiddo. So yeah. I'm a fan of Mac and Bookface's work.

Yes, from what Mac has stated, LFL used the Quasimodo as the basis to make the Rogue One Vader helmet. So cool.

But no - the Quasimodo isn't just as screen accurate as anything you can buy out there. That doesn't mean it isn't a kickass Vader Helmet, as they've done a phenomenal job with their sculpt and finishing. Even the less expensive Darth Ugly fiberglass work is top notch.

I get that you prefer to redefine and misdirect instead of apologize. But if you malign my character, I have a right to speak up. As for “dragging this out” you simply need to stop. That I’ve not addressed your conduct in 2 years but being aware of your posts indicates I’ve shown a great deal of restraint.

And now, back to ANOVOS. Despite its Hyperdine lineage - and with its obvious tells - it’s quite interesting it looks great as you stand back and let its paint work do its job! [emoji12]

I don't doubt the quality of the CFO ROTJ helmet, but if the finish of what was cast needs to be redone because of how poorly the item being cast was finished, I think calling it "cast from original" is misleading. It certainly isn't a warts and all cast of an original screen used helmet. Some skill and creativity of the person producing the CFO cleaned up version was introduced as opposed to the true casts that they produced in limited quantities.

It is a cleaned up cast of a helmet with Lucasfilm lineage which can't be said about many helmets.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Mark may or may not have chimed in already, but the GS is cast from an original LFL production mold helmet. Don't blame him for the quality of the cast, blame the quality of the mold, as the mold only captured the beat-up nature of the ANH Tantive IV Vader helmet. Both the screen used ESB and ROTJ helmets were pulled form the same UK mold, then cleaned up and finished for filming.

So in a sense, the Mark went through the exact same process to produce the GS ROTJ faceplate. The dome needed cleaning up, but you're not going to find a more accurate ROTJ dome than the GS, much like you won't find a more accurate ESB dome than the TM ESB.

No one said the GS was made from as screen used Vader helmet.

Last edited:
Mark may or may not have chimed in already, but the GS is cast from an original LFL production mold helmet. Don't blame the quality of the cast, blame the quality of the mold, as the mold only captured the beat-up nature of the ANH Tantive IV Vader helmet. Both the screen used ESB and ROTJ helmets were pulled form the same UK mold, then cleaned up and finished for filming.

So in a sense, the Mark went through the exact same process to produce the GS ROTJ faceplate. The dome needed cleaning up, but you're not going to find a more accurate ROTJ dome than the GS, much like you won't find a more accurate ESB dome than the TM ESB.

No one said the GS was made from as screen used Vader helmet.

The state in which the original GS arrived into Mark’s ownership shows a lot of texture that differs from some ANH related sources such as the TM, TD, SL, VP, etc. — and even those differ from a little to a lot with each other!

Sometimes a prop find is in a state where someone at some stage attempted a paint or treatment and thus added surface texture of their own.

Then there is potential surface trauma from years of handling after leaving the Lucasfilm lot. In my mind, there is no point in being true to those surface effects because they don’t necessarily reflect the originals.

I think Mark did a exceptional job at bringing it to this level of presentation without the unintended mass production warpage and deliberate modifications as seen with licensed products. In doing so, he has not only retained the character of the physical prop but has actually maximized it.

The state in which the original GS arrived into Mark’s ownership shows a lot of texture that differs from some ANH related sources such as the TM, TD, SL, VP, etc. — and even those differ from a little to a lot with each other!

Sometimes a prop find is in a state where someone at some stage attempted a paint or treatment and thus added surface texture of their own.

Then there is potential surface trauma from years of handling after leaving the Lucasfilm lot. In my mind, there is no point in being true to those surface effects because they don’t necessarily reflect the originals.

I think Mark did a exceptional job at bringing it to this level of presentation without the unintended mass production warpage and deliberate modifications as seen with licensed products. In doing so, he has not only retained the character of the physical prop but has actually maximized it.

For sure. I agree with all of what you state here.

I believe all three of you guys (You, Bookface, and Mark) have done an outstanding job of being very transparent. Wish more makers, licensed and non-licensed, were as reputable as you guys. :D

Thanks, CraigJohn!

I'll also say this to everyone who is concerned regarding the topic of lineage. There is an implied accuracy as a result of claiming "lineage".

I've had the privilege of handling and studying at length four of the "Top 5" - the TM, TD, DJ, SL but not the VP. I've also handled a 20th Century casting, something of Fiberdyne lineage, a Don Post Deluxe from the 1990s run, and the Jeff ROTJ Master. What I'm about to write is going to upset some people.

The fantasy we all aim for - our "North Star" - is owning something connected with the original. If something has "lineage" it implies accuracy. And accuracy, in turn, implies connection to "The Original(s)".

The reality, however, can fall short tremendously.

Among private runs such as the aforementioned Top 5, which are the most accurate helmets and masks in the fandom and not part of any licensed offering, all differ dimensionally and in detail. Textural details are sharper with some (e.g. C-scar) while others may have a remnant of the original ANH mesh. Some have a wider feel (like how ANH appeared on-screen) and some are more slender. Some castings from private runs also have minor discrepancies to their progenitors. Some differ because one helmet is from the US production mold while another is from the UK production mold. And even when people say "Rick Baker"/US mold, some pulls seem to exhibit different shape oddities, so one may only wonder if there is more than one mold for each of the OT films.

The point here is this: some collectors own more than one of the Top 5 because each helmet/mask has some aspect of it that is more appealing than the other. For example, I like the TM's detail, but I prefer the SL's facial width, but yet I like the VP's neck and the TD's overall composition. What is "accurate" for one helmet/mask may be "less accurate" on another helmet/mask. See the conundrum? The "Perfect Vader" is a fantasy; collectors collect more than one because they are trying to find castings with the best traits and, wishfully, envision them all merged into one.

To thus argue accuracy is self-defeating. Over the years, we've had 20+ page arguments here on the RPF and on The Prop Den, and it's basically an arrogant bitching match where nobody wins.

Now, some discrepancies are natural -- there are differences in shape between the UK (production) mold and very specific traits in the US (tour) molds. One can say the UK mold pulls are superior because those create the screen-used helmets. It can be argued that anything from the US mold is comparably "less accurate" -- just to **** off the people who have invested into anything that is spawned from this branch of the Vader Helmet Lineage Tree.

Some discrepancies are unintentional. They may range from subtle warpage due to resins/gelcoat not fully mixed, to improper handling and pulling before the resins/gelcoat had fully cured, to masks and helmets sagging under their own weight on the table.

Some discrepancies are intentional - modified by vendors or private run offers to distinguish surrogate castings from their progenitors.

All of these helmets can have "lineage" and be labeled "accurate" yet still contain inaccuracies in their overall structure.

Over the years, different vendors have offered helmets that come from the 20th Century tour helmet. These were hard to come by, so there was an air of mystery around them, but if you examine helmets from different vendors, you can see a wide spectrum of differences in shape, size, warpage, etc. These all come from "the original", yet how can they all be accurate?

When you own a vendor helmet, simply because it "came from the original" it does not mean every facet, every feature and every aspect of its shape is truly consistent with THE original. If you assume what you own is accurate and do not consider what modifications, manipulations or surgery was contributed by the vendor, you may be rushing too quickly if you're trying to establish yourself as a Vader authority based on what you own.

Some vendors imply accuracy, yet on the back end they recast sources like Don Post, 20th Century, Fiberdyne, eFX, GH ROTJ, etc. and disguise them into helmets of other films, and most helmet owners have no clue the actual origins. I've been asked a few times to weigh in on some helmet offerings where my analysis proved them to be modified recasts.

In conclusion, people before us have created a culture in this hobby to where "accuracy" gave them license to be arrogant towards other fans and to malign them and act as the gatekeepers of what is appropriate and what is not. It was toxic like this before I ever got here. My contribution to the culture has been through sharing information (my background is one of teaching) and to try to break free of all this accuracy-fueled arrogance by going the entirely opposite direction of fan-based sculpting -- all with the hope that a kinder and more humble culture will be more welcoming and enriching for everyone to enjoy.

I hope this write-up has helped, and I hope someone out there reading this will resonate this and help do their part in bringing about culture change.

Thanks, CraigJohn!

I'll also say this to everyone who is concerned regarding the topic of lineage. There is an implied accuracy as a result of claiming "lineage".

I've had the privilege of handling and studying at length four of the "Top 5" - the TM, TD, DJ, SL but not the VP. I've also handled a 20th Century casting, something of Fiberdyne lineage, a Don Post Deluxe from the 1990s run, and the Jeff ROTJ Master. What I'm about to write is going to upset some people.

The fantasy we all aim for - our "North Star" - is owning something connected with the original. If something has "lineage" it implies accuracy. And accuracy, in turn, implies connection to "The Original(s)".

Among private runs such as the aforementioned Top 5, which are the most accurate helmets and masks in the fandom and not part of any licensed offering, all differ dimensionally and in detail. Textural details are sharper with some (e.g. C-scar) while others may have a remnant of the original ANH mesh. Some have a wider feel (like how ANH appeared on-screen) and some are more slender. Some castings from private runs also have minor discrepancies to their progenitors. Some differ because one helmet is from the US production mold while another is from the UK production mold. And even when people say "Rick Baker"/US mold, some pulls seem to exhibit different shape oddities, so one may only wonder if there is more than one mold for each of the OT films.

The point here is this: some collectors own more than one of the Top 5 because each helmet/mask has some aspect of it that is more appealing than the other. For example, I like the TM's detail, but I prefer the SL's facial width, but yet I like the VP's neck and the TD's overall composition. What is "accurate" for one helmet/mask may be "less accurate" on another helmet/mask. See the conundrum? The "Perfect Vader" is a fantasy; collectors collect more than one because they are trying to find castings with the best traits and, wishfully, envision them all merged into one.

To thus argue accuracy is self-defeating. Over the years, we've had 20+ page arguments here on the RPF and on The Prop Den, and it's basically an arrogant bitching match where nobody wins.

Now, some discrepancies are natural -- there are differences in shape between the UK (production) mold and very specific traits in the US (tour) molds. One can say the UK mold pulls are superior because those create the screen-used helmets. It can be argued that anything from the US mold is comparably "less accurate" -- just to **** off the people who have invested into anything that is spawned from this branch of the Vader Helmet Lineage Tree.

Some discrepancies are unintentional. They may range from subtle warpage due to resins/gelcoat not fully mixed, to improper handling and pulling before the resins/gelcoat had fully cured, to masks and helmets sagging under their own weight on the table.

Some discrepancies are intentional - modified by vendors or private run offers to distinguish surrogate castings from their progenitors.

All of these helmets can have "lineage" and be labeled "accurate" yet still contain inaccuracies in their overall structure.

Over the years, different vendors have offered helmets that come from the 20th Century tour helmet. These were hard to come by, so there was an air of mystery around them, but if you examine helmets from different vendors, you can see a wide spectrum of differences in shape, size, warpage, etc. These all come from "the original", yet how can they all be accurate?

When you own a vendor helmet, simply because it "came from the original" it does not mean every facet, every feature and every aspect of its shape is truly consistent with THE original. If you assume what you own is accurate and do not consider what modifications, manipulations or surgery was contributed by the vendor, you may be rushing too quickly if you're trying to establish yourself as a Vader authority based on what you own.

Some vendors imply accuracy, yet on the back end they recast sources like Don Post, 20th Century, Fiberdyne, eFX, GH ROTJ, etc. and disguise them into helmets of other films, and most helmet owners have no clue the actual origins. I've been asked a few times to weigh in on some helmet offerings where my analysis proved them to be modified recasts.

In conclusion, people before us have created a culture in this hobby to where "accuracy" gave them license to be arrogant towards other fans and to malign them and act as the gatekeepers of what is appropriate and what is not. It was toxic like this before I ever got here. My contribution to the culture has been through sharing information (my background is one of teaching) and to try to break free of all this accuracy-fueled arrogance by going the entirely opposite direction of fan-based sculpting -- all with the hope that a kinder and more humble culture will be more welcoming and enriching for everyone to enjoy.

I hope this write-up has helped, and I hope someone out there reading this will resonate this and help do their part in bringing about culture change.

Some great points Mac.
I agree with you on many of them.
I’m lucky enough to own a few of the castings You refer to. I have all the TM helmets and have had quite a few castings which have all differed in shape due to casting errors. I have a TD which is a nice helmet but it’s a casting of a painted helmet so lacks some details. I have a ANH SL dome with the TD and love the SL dome. I own the original 20thC helmet all DS helmets come from and of course the GS and my ROTJ version of the GS. They all have different traits yet are all cast from helmets taken from either the uk or US moulds. I personally and of course quite biasedly think the GS has one of the best shaped faceplates and domes yet. To my eye it just has the look I saw as a child. Other castings exhibit warpage and over trimming. Of course many will argue that the TM is the best or that the TD or SL etc. It’s all down to how you see it and what floats your boat.

Mac, It sounds like you have tried to do the same as I did in the Stormtrooper community regards to the “Lords of power” attitude. Transparency is king and I think we have done a good job of being transparent.
I got many hate mails when cfo released the archive LFL/AA photos of TK armour into the public domain from various vendors because suddenly they had had their “power” taken away. Now everyone knew the details of the originals suits and the likes of ( insert names here) couldn’t continue releasing V1, V2, V3 , V4 versions of their armour giving you a little more detail than the last, which of course was the most screen accurate replica money could buy. Until they released another version that was slightly more accurate than the last most accurate replica you could get. Of course this was all done with “Prop preservation” in mind. Not money. [emoji23]
What you get with Mac, Bookface, and myself is complete transparency. There are no secrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, CraigJohn!

Very true. I will add, and I’m no expert on the history the casts, I’m just a collector who got a little lucky; the authentic cast collectors understand the variations to some degree, especially in regard to the ANH casts. They’re also in this hobby to collect little pieces of captured/preserved cinematic history.

While each helmet make may have different warpage, textures and geometry, they all add they’re own clues into the original helmet we were fascinated with when we were growing up. Since we can’t see, handle or much less own the original screen used ANH Helmet, as it resides in a private collection, the next best thing to getting that close to the real deal is an authentic cast with some of those details preserved in the casting - it's like a little fossil. :lol

I will say, when an authentic cast is painted up and finished, even with it's casting flaws/warpage, they're pretty damn sexy.

I agree about the nonsensical arguing about which cast is best, considering they’re all different - or “flawed”. However, for me, as I won’t speak for any other collector, warpage aside, there are nuances, beyond the painted details captured, to the geometry/shapes that can be found across the board in all the casts, which won’t be found in the majority of fan sculpts. Those nuances are found in the teeth, side mouth wall, cheeks, chin vents, eyebrows, etc.

As far as accuracy - unless you own the original helmet, there are going to flaws to the cast: Whether it has lineage of an authentic cast traced to a helmet pulled from one of the LFL molds, or it’s a fan sculpt.

I guess all that to say, there are other reasons people wish to own the authentic casts beyond just accuracy.

And to be honest, as I try to steer this back on to the road of Anovos [emoji38], the Anovos seems to have more qualities of a fan sculpt, rather than a cast or digital scan of LFL production helmet. The shape and thinness of the eyebrows, the shape of the mouth walls, the straight teeth, etc give me that feeling. Not sure if those design decisions were on purpose, but the reference material about those shapes is out there for the general public to view - they're not a secret. I can't understand why Anovos would omit those shape details. ....just my personal observation. [emoji6]

Last edited:
Some great points Mac.
I agree with you on many of them.
I’m lucky enough to own a few of the castings You refer to. I have all the TM helmets and have had quite a few castings which have all differed in shape due to casting errors. I have a TD which is a nice helmet but it’s a casting of a painted helmet so lacks some details. I have a ANH SL dome with the TD and love the SL dome. I own the original 20thC helmet all DS helmets come from and of course the GS and my ROTJ version of the GS. They all have different traits yet are all cast from helmets taken from either the uk or US moulds. I personally and of course quite biasedly think the GS has one of the best shaped faceplates and domes yet. To my eye it just has the look I saw as a child. Other castings exhibit warpage and over trimming. Of course many will argue that the TM is the best or that the TD or SL etc. It’s all down to how you see it and what floats your boat.

Mac, It sounds like you have tried to do the same as I did in the Stormtrooper community regards to the “Lords of power” attitude. Transparency is king and I think we have done a good job of being transparent.
I got many hate mails when cfo released the archive LFL/AA photos of TK armour into the public domain from various vendors because suddenly they had had their “power” taken away. Now everyone knew the details of the originals suits and the likes of ( insert names here) couldn’t continue releasing V1, V2, V3 , V4 versions of their armour giving you a little more detail than the last, which of course was the most screen accurate replica money could buy. Until they released another version that was slightly more accurate than the last most accurate replica you could get. Of course this was all done with “Prop preservation” in mind. Not money. [emoji23]
What you get with Mac, Bookface, and myself is complete transparency. There are no secrets.

Well said. Amazing you did that! That sure dealt a blow. Thank you for bring balance to the Force, so to speak! And your kind words of my and Bookface's work ethic are deeply appreciated.

This "Lords of Power" epidemic is extremely childish and, basically, narcissistic. Maybe these individuals weren't popular in school or weren't hugged enough as children, but they gather a fan following around them, feed them scraps of information and images. Unfortunately, some fans feel privileged to be in their inner circle, then, in turn, become their attack dogs whenever someone comes along with a different opinion, so now you're dealing with a herd as a force multiplier.

Some of the vendor hatred I've gained happened when I sculpted Darth Ugly - which is nowhere nearly as good as anything else vendors were selling based on their "lineage" and "accuracy". But watching deliberate information on Darth Ugly being posted was insightful. Watching them gather their composure and revise history when I confronted them was another matter.

Everyone was fine when one of these "lords of power" was associated with the Rogue One Vader. But when the truth came to light, and that it was my mask that was used on the screen-used R1 Vader, it's amusing how tones change.

That mask is a result of sculpting, not "rebuilding" it or whatever labels some have used to minimize my work. Sculpting became my journey because I couldn't collect all these high-end helmets at the time. Many of you remember those abysmal eBay kits and the vendors who wouldn't refund my money. But all the better: moving from prop *acquiring* to prop *sculpting* meant I was free of that vicious circle of having to kiss up to a "lord of power" for a mere chance to own what they offer - or even for a few scraps that fall from their table.

So people mocking my "schpeal" or "spiel" about "emotion" simply don't understand that this has become a fine arts journey. If you can move from trying to simply approximate accuracy to recreating the presence and essence of a character, it requires a fine arts discipline. In other words, the result you are looking for is not numerically quantifiable by clay or by "width between the tusk tubes is precisely n millimeters". To me, if people feel the full Quasimodo bust on a table has a striking presence as if a person were wearing it and looking right back at them, then Bookface and I are on the right track. Our goal is not a prop but an experience. Emotion is an experience, and thus I'm intentionally branching off and pursuing a fine arts journey to create an experience.

My artistic journey does not require the approval of any of these little "lords of power". I'm blessed to have a great number of supportive friends here, over on the Den, and on Facebook.

No-one would mock my artistic journey if I mainly focused on, say, Michelangelo's David. Or any other franchise for that matter. It's only Vader where now this intrudes into some territories where some must maintain their dominance and authority. However, they're only contributing to the hostile culture.

It's too easy in this hobby to read information from one forum, then regurgitate it into another board without citing sources and then position yourself as an authority. That nonsense has got to go. And anyone who needs the recognition of authority, I strongly suggest self-examination with a licensed mental health professional, because the temporary attention and adulation by fans is essentially stimulating the pleasure center of your brain like a drug. When the drug wears off, you're back to where you really are, and you're going to clamor for that attention and make other fans miserable because of your online conduct.

Now, more on-point with props and ANOVOS:

We should talk about size. ;-) (Remember those days of superior posturing? Ugh!)

The 20th Century mask is smaller than the TM mask. The width of the tabs are about 0.5mm less than those on the TM, but up to a few millimeters in other areas. The TM has ANH traits - and the mold from which it was pulled is believed to be the UK production mold that gave birth to the screen-used ESB masks. I also documented this years ago back on The Prop Den that the 20th Century helmets also share a consistent flaw not found on the TM. It suggests that a flawed mask descended from the UK mold (not sure how many generations) was then molded itself to produce the masks of the 20th Century tour suits.

Some 20th Century-based vendor offerings have varied in shape and size, but some may have been made larger (probably due to me, as I once posted a side-by-side comparison between my Quasimodo V1 and a vendor's unaltered 20th Century mask). That bloated the mask and made it pair oddly with its dome. If you don't factor in the vendor's own deliberate modifications/tells, you basically have a mask that is technically accurate in features but not accurate in shape.

Also, the 20th Century masks, although descended from the UK mold, don't share specific traits with the TM. At one point, they were quite sanitized and less sharp in detail. One may have been used as the template for the Don Post Deluxe line. Years back, I showed a comparison where they line up very closely in the face. The Don Post Deluxe, interestingly, has a larger head size, but this may be due to warpage as it was curing face-up on a table.

Someone posted a SbS comparison between an ANOVOS and an eFX and it was an eye-opener. The ANOVOS was tiny compared with the eFX.

This is consistent with the SithPlanet ANH mask, which, too, is on the small side (as per a SbS comparison I posted years back between the SithPLanet and an original Don Post Deluxe helmet).

And this correlates with the SgtFang resin helmet. Years back, when someone found the dome to be too small and tried to pair the mask with a Rubies, the Rubies completely dwarfed the SgtFang.

Interestingly, three things I will speak in favor of the ANOVOS.

First, this is the first time, possibly, that someone's taken something of that Fiberdyne lineage and made an ROTJ conversion to it.

Second, from a distance, the paintwork takes over, and it looks decent if you're not scrutinizing it for accuracy.

Three, the "Reveal" greeblies on it are cool.

Addendum: The GS deserves mention and I'm going to begin including it as my "Top 6".

Last edited:
As far as I understand the 20ThC helmets were in fact cast from a ESB helmet rather than any original mould.
I could be wrong but that’s what I heard.

As far as I understand the 20ThC helmets were in fact cast from a ESB helmet rather than any original mould.
I could be wrong but that’s what I heard.

I think you can read that on StarWarsHelmets .I cannot speak for the facemask.But the dome looks ROTJ to me.

Well said. Amazing you did that! That sure dealt a blow. Thank you for bring balance to the Force, so to speak! And your kind words of my and Bookface's work ethic are deeply appreciated.

This "Lords of Power" epidemic is extremely childish and, basically, narcissistic. Maybe these individuals weren't popular in school or weren't hugged enough as children, but they gather a fan following around them, feed them scraps of information and images. Unfortunately, some fans feel privileged to be in their inner circle, then, in turn, become their attack dogs whenever someone comes along with a different opinion, so now you're dealing with a herd as a force multiplier.

Some of the vendor hatred I've gained happened when I sculpted Darth Ugly - which is nowhere nearly as good as anything else vendors were selling based on their "lineage" and "accuracy". But watching deliberate information on Darth Ugly being posted was insightful. Watching them gather their composure and revise history when I confronted them was another matter.

Everyone was fine when one of these "lords of power" was associated with the Rogue One Vader. But when the truth came to light, and that it was my mask that was used on the screen-used R1 Vader, it's amusing how tones change.

That mask is a result of sculpting, not "rebuilding" it or whatever labels some have used to minimize my work. Sculpting became my journey because I couldn't collect all these high-end helmets at the time. Many of you remember those abysmal eBay kits and the vendors who wouldn't refund my money. But all the better: moving from prop *acquiring* to prop *sculpting* meant I was free of that vicious circle of having to kiss up to a "lord of power" for a mere chance to own what they offer - or even for a few scraps that fall from their table.

So people mocking my "schpeal" or "spiel" about "emotion" simply don't understand that this has become a fine arts journey. If you can move from trying to simply approximate accuracy to recreating the presence and essence of a character, it requires a fine arts discipline. In other words, the result you are looking for is not numerically quantifiable by clay or by "width between the tusk tubes is precisely n millimeters". To me, if people feel the full Quasimodo bust on a table has a striking presence as if a person were wearing it and looking right back at them, then Bookface and I are on the right track. Our goal is not a prop but an experience. Emotion is an experience, and thus I'm intentionally branching off and pursuing a fine arts journey to create an experience.

My artistic journey does not require the approval of any of these little "lords of power". I'm blessed to have a great number of supportive friends here, over on the Den, and on Facebook.

No-one would mock my artistic journey if I mainly focused on, say, Michelangelo's David. Or any other franchise for that matter. It's only Vader where now this intrudes into some territories where some must maintain their dominance and authority. However, they're only contributing to the hostile culture.

It's too easy in this hobby to read information from one forum, then regurgitate it into another board without citing sources and then position yourself as an authority. That nonsense has got to go. And anyone who needs the recognition of authority, I strongly suggest self-examination with a licensed mental health professional, because the temporary attention and adulation by fans is essentially stimulating the pleasure center of your brain like a drug. When the drug wears off, you're back to where you really are, and you're going to clamor for that attention and make other fans miserable because of your online conduct.

Now, more on-point with props and ANOVOS:

We should talk about size. ;-) (Remember those days of superior posturing? Ugh!)

The 20th Century mask is smaller than the TM mask. The width of the tabs are about 0.5mm less than those on the TM, but up to a few millimeters in other areas. The TM has ANH traits - and the mold from which it was pulled is believed to be the UK production mold that gave birth to the screen-used ESB masks. I also documented this years ago back on The Prop Den that the 20th Century helmets also share a consistent flaw not found on the TM. It suggests that a flawed mask descended from the UK mold (not sure how many generations) was then molded itself to produce the masks of the 20th Century tour suits.

Some 20th Century-based vendor offerings have varied in shape and size, but some may have been made larger (probably due to me, as I once posted a side-by-side comparison between my Quasimodo V1 and a vendor's unaltered 20th Century mask). That bloated the mask and made it pair oddly with its dome. If you don't factor in the vendor's own deliberate modifications/tells, you basically have a mask that is technically accurate in features but not accurate in shape.

Also, the 20th Century masks, although descended from the UK mold, don't share specific traits with the TM. At one point, they were quite sanitized and less sharp in detail. One may have been used as the template for the Don Post Deluxe line. Years back, I showed a comparison where they line up very closely in the face. The Don Post Deluxe, interestingly, has a larger head size, but this may be due to warpage as it was curing face-up on a table.

Someone posted a SbS comparison between an ANOVOS and an eFX and it was an eye-opener. The ANOVOS was tiny compared with the eFX.

This is consistent with the SithPlanet ANH mask, which, too, is on the small side (as per a SbS comparison I posted years back between the SithPLanet and an original Don Post Deluxe helmet).

And this correlates with the SgtFang resin helmet. Years back, when someone found the dome to be too small and tried to pair the mask with a Rubies, the Rubies completely dwarfed the SgtFang.

Interestingly, three things I will speak in favor of the ANOVOS.

First, this is the first time, possibly, that someone's taken something of that Fiberdyne lineage and made an ROTJ conversion to it.

Second, from a distance, the paintwork takes over, and it looks decent if you're not scrutinizing it for accuracy.

Three, the "Reveal" greeblies on it are cool.

Addendum: The GS deserves mention and I'm going to begin including it as my "Top 6".

It’s very disenguinious to claim the R1 was “your helmet” it was not. Your helmet was scanned but had to be re-organized and many of your over exaggerated details had to be removed. A new helmet was then made from that model, not yours. In the same way that you have modified others work and claimed them as your own, you can’t claim it as yours.
Your “sculpting” definition is made to justify stealing others work.
Such as your modified SPFX armor. You did not get permission from him to use it. And yes it’s been confirmed you used an SPFX Anarchy casting.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back