ANOVOS Darth Vader

What can give you a better "emotion" of the movie as a really accurate Prop?:confused

But it is a great marketing idea.."its not 100% accurate..BUT...the emotions are better!"-And you see..it works with some guys.;)

I can understand this point with the look on others not so talented "vaderartists".But nothing goes over a real authentic cast.

Oh..I got my CFO cast this week...great.:):thumbsup

Why you like the Quasimodo more as the EFX is because the Quasimodo is a lot better painted.If bookface would repaint an EFX legend it would be a lot better helmet as his own creation.I´m only talking about the cast...the finish is another point.But if you have a good authentic cast with a superior finish ...nothing can beat this.

Oh..and 16 years ago..my birthday..a friend is wearing my ultimate prophelmet..:

http://up.picr.de/32040255di.jpg

:lol

It is entirely your prerogative to dislike my work and artistic process. However, saying in mockery that I am saying "its not 100% accurate..BUT...the emotions are better!" sounds personal - and furthermore misreprents my work and decade-long contribution to the community. Having seen your comments about me for some time, it seems like we've gotten off on the wrong foot, and I don't know what I did to offend you. I'd like to see if we can work this out because I've always held your Reveal work very highly.

Would it be fair to say, based on your comments above, that the eFX Legend is categorically "a really accurate prop" and "real authentic cast"? I do not disagree at all that a repainted eFX Legend would look wonderful, but are you familiar with the dome warpage to the line? This warpage, interestingly, carries over to the PCR.

Bookface and I are humbled that some fellow fans have preferred our work over the eFX despite it's lineage advantage. I don't mind you not accepting the artistic labor we've invested in - as opposed to a factory that mass-produces something pre-existing. Fellow fans recognize we didn't do the easy route of recasting an eFX or Don Post Deluxe, making a few tweaks, giving it an automotive finish and calling it a day. We chose a much harder route that most wouldn't accept. I'm personally grateful this work resonates with them, and I'd feel it disingenuous if anyone implied these people are ignorant.

Separately, there are people who have attempted repaints of the eFX PCR, and to the trained eye it somehow still looks like a plastic helmet with additional rough paint over it.

If a really accurate prop, by default and by virtue of its accuracy, provides better emotion, then that's great - but you're missing the point of my work entirely. I'm not trying to deliver a prop kit or prop helmet. Rather, I'm trying to capture an experience. This is much harder. And it's also counter a climate where "accuracy" has ruled for the last 10-15 years. The accuracy game enables some to be arrogant bullies and to decide who's helmet is valid and who's isn't. Despite the degree of original sculpting, some have inadequately labeled my work because they didn't understand the extensivity of labor, time and love put in.

I get it's not your cup of tea. I've never said it's perfectly accurate. It was as accurate as I perceived accuracy at the time making it. Like those who study Michelangelo's David for years, I still learn and perceive things; I'd like to do more.

Maybe you'd be happier seeing my upcoming Rogue One. Since the screen used face came from me, I think it would qualify in your eyes as "a really accurate prop". Until then, I'm totally open to learning more from you, and I hope whatever differences there may be between us can easily pass.

I also open this up to everyone reading: there are some negative opinions about me - some deserved, and some due to the fact that the Vader hobby is highly political. But instead of forming your opinions through heresay, just ping me on Facebook - and have your favorite beverage ready, and I'll get one myself, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions on sculpting and the magic of Star Wars any time. :cheers

It was really interesting how closely the comments here echoed the “lineage before all” argument you have discussed many times in relation to the genesis of the Quasimodo, Mac.

And now we learn there’s more to some of the comments than meets the eye. Interesting.

I wouldn’t know where to begin with asking questions, but I can say that I fully enjoy reading the lengthier write-ups on the Sculpting Vader page. It’s nice to be able to read things like that for a change: most of what we have is forum posts, which aren’t always the best medium for anything too in-depth.

It is entirely your prerogative to dislike my work and artistic process. However, saying in mockery that I am saying "its not 100% accurate..BUT...the emotions are better!" sounds personal - and furthermore misreprents my work and decade-long contribution to the community. Having seen your comments about me for some time, it seems like we've gotten off on the wrong foot, and I don't know what I did to offend you. I'd like to see if we can work this out because I've always held your Reveal work very highly.

Would it be fair to say, based on your comments above, that the eFX Legend is categorically "a really accurate prop" and "real authentic cast"? I do not disagree at all that a repainted eFX Legend would look wonderful, but are you familiar with the dome warpage to the line? This warpage, interestingly, carries over to the PCR.

Bookface and I are humbled that some fellow fans have preferred our work over the eFX despite it's lineage advantage. I don't mind you not accepting the artistic labor we've invested in - as opposed to a factory that mass-produces something pre-existing. Fellow fans recognize we didn't do the easy route of recasting an eFX or Don Post Deluxe, making a few tweaks, giving it an automotive finish and calling it a day. We chose a much harder route that most wouldn't accept. I'm personally grateful this work resonates with them, and I'd feel it disingenuous if anyone implied these people are ignorant.

Separately, there are people who have attempted repaints of the eFX PCR, and to the trained eye it somehow still looks like a plastic helmet with additional rough paint over it.

If a really accurate prop, by default and by virtue of its accuracy, provides better emotion, then that's great - but you're missing the point of my work entirely. I'm not trying to deliver a prop kit or prop helmet. Rather, I'm trying to capture an experience. This is much harder. And it's also counter a climate where "accuracy" has ruled for the last 10-15 years. The accuracy game enables some to be arrogant bullies and to decide who's helmet is valid and who's isn't. Despite the degree of original sculpting, some have inadequately labeled my work because they didn't understand the extensivity of labor, time and love put in.

I get it's not your cup of tea. I've never said it's perfectly accurate. It was as accurate as I perceived accuracy at the time making it. Like those who study Michelangelo's David for years, I still learn and perceive things; I'd like to do more.

Maybe you'd be happier seeing my upcoming Rogue One. Since the screen used face came from me, I think it would qualify in your eyes as "a really accurate prop". Until then, I'm totally open to learning more from you, and I hope whatever differences there may be between us can easily pass.

I also open this up to everyone reading: there are some negative opinions about me - some deserved, and some due to the fact that the Vader hobby is highly political. But instead of forming your opinions through heresay, just ping me on Facebook - and have your favorite beverage ready, and I'll get one myself, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions on sculpting and the magic of Star Wars any time. :cheers

I´ve never said you made a bad job.The only thing I said is,that you cannot create the 100% exact same look of a lineage helmet from hand again.
In some shots you can get near..but in others it looks wrong again.
And when people are saying your versions are more accurate as authentic casts I must say NO.
And that was the discussion here.Nothing more.And when new "Vaderguys"are asking for the best helmets for their money I say whats that for me.
I have no personal interest to damage your image or something.Why I should do that?I´m not selling helmets like you.And I´m also not sculpting helmets.
But when my personal taste is not good for your business that is not my problem.If you sell helmets you must also live with criticism.

I´ve never said you made a bad job.The only thing I said is,that you cannot create the 100% exact same look of a lineage helmet from hand again.
In some shots you can get near..but in others it looks wrong again.
And when people are saying your versions are more accurate as authentic casts I must say NO.
And that was the discussion here.Nothing more.And when new "Vaderguys"are asking for the best helmets for their money I say whats that for me.
I have no personal interest to damage your image or something.Why I should do that?I´m not selling helmets like you.And I´m also not sculpting helmets.
But when my personal taste is not good for your business that is not my problem.If you sell helmets you must also live with criticism.

I have no issue with people having personal tastes, and I've held off on responding to people who like other makes more (though I respectfully point out people should consider more vectors when determining what is right for them, as some of the enthusiastically-recommended vendors in the hobby are offered by recasters, bullies, and who have wait lists of 1-4 years -- and sometimes take fan money and never ship product).

Sure, you have expertise. Sure, you have personal tastes. But to revise history and use words like "the only thing I said is" is NOT factual considering the long drip campaign ever since you determined I was the source of the Rogue One Vader face.

In your own words, and even in this reply, you've not only mocked my intentions, you've twisted my words to justify some kind of long-term drip campaign here.

It is therefore disingenuous to try to paint me as not being able to receive criticism because I have never said "my work is more accurate as authentic casts". I have NEVER said that. You, in this very reply I have quoted, put those words in my mouth.

I don't mind criticism if it's about art, or if it's constructive. But that's not what I'm discussing here. I posted about you specifically mocking and twisting my words - and now not representing the situation in 100% factuality. And exactly, why?

It was really interesting how closely the comments here echoed the “lineage before all” argument you have discussed many times in relation to the genesis of the Quasimodo, Mac.

And now we learn there’s more to some of the comments than meets the eye. Interesting.

I wouldn’t know where to begin with asking questions, but I can say that I fully enjoy reading the lengthier write-ups on the Sculpting Vader page. It’s nice to be able to read things like that for a change: most of what we have is forum posts, which aren’t always the best medium for anything too in-depth.

The hobby has, for the most part, been about lineage - particular with Vader helmets.

Using lineage as a "litmus test" is helpful when past vendors abuse trust by implying they have a "4th pull from the original ANH production" or that they had a special, un-used prototype, or an "ESB Stunt helmet" surfaces on eBay, or someone claims their helmet is the best of the best of the best because they have a trait no-one else has. Those of us who have studied up on helmet traits at a granular level had to debunk many king-of-the-hill types for the good of the community.

Of which of these incidents do you find fault in my contributions?

Yes, as someone who has come into all thIs later than the “old guard,” I can say it’s been fascinating to go over old forum discussions and arguments involving the “king of the hill types,” as you’ve called them. Especially discovering some of the more well-known names who have been persona non grata for the entire time I’ve been in the hobby. While not Vader-related as much, the whole saga on Andrew Ainsworth is one that sticks in my mind. The benefit of hindsight adds a new dimension to the reading of those old conversations.

I’m not sure about your question about “faults,” though. Can you clarify? Maybe I’ve given the wrong impression somewhere.

I havent read all the recent posts yet but before I do I will say this one thing.

I never was bashing the Quaismodo nor its quality nor was I bashing the work from Bookface and Mac. The helmet is a fantastic piece and it should be enjoyed my anyone who buys it.

My point was is that I can see differences between this helmet and the originals that make it far from the "best." It is a very good fan sculpt and it should get the recognition it deserves.

I try not to get involved in discussions like this because I know I’m unlikely to change any opinions and frankly it doesn’t really matter. All I’m trying to do is put out a good quality product that is (relatively) readily available at a (relatively) reasonable price. It is, I believe, one of the cheaper “high end” options out there in the Vader market, at a significantly shorter waiting time than some others.

If other people are getting one or seeing one and recommending it as an alternative to something with close lineage, that is not my fault. I’ve never said it had any lineage at all, nor has Mac. The fact that people are doing so I can only take as a compliment. Of course you can see differences to the original, they’re different helmets. I can see differences between the TM and the SL, and they’re supposed to be from essentially the same moulds.

If people want to criticise, that’s fine. But mainly it sounds like some people are unhappy that others are recommending Quasimodo as being as good as a ‘lineage’ helmet. In return I would suggest that you get over it.

While not Vader-related as much, the whole saga on Andrew Ainsworth is one that sticks in my mind. The benefit of hindsight adds a new dimension to the reading of those old conversations.

That's a fantastic example. Very early on, people were in love with the *idea* of something connected with the original, and it sounded like Ainsworth was the best way of reaching that (given his "original molds"). However, the reality was far from actual expectations. I posted photo analysis of the Ainsworth helmet being skewed and leaning towards the left when you looked at it.

That was only one example of many Star Wars related helmet props where reality differed from expectations defined by use of words like "original molds" and "lineage" and "pedigree".

There are other helmets discussed here or on The Prop Den - both past and recent.

Everyone:

If indeed there is a wrong impression somewhere, let me not exacerbate it. I read from various posts that people are making factual statements *about* me but not having spoken *to* me. I welcome constructive feedback and great conversation on art and sculpting. I write essays (especially on why I chose Vader sculpting as a hobby and form of art) and share photos. Feel free to reach out at https://www.facebook.com/SculptingVader/ -- and perhaps let's focus back on Anovos.

It is therefore disingenuous to try to paint me as not being able to receive criticism because I have never said "my work is more accurate as authentic casts". I have NEVER said that. You, in this very reply I have quoted, put those words in my mouth.

Please show me the post where I said that you said that.:lol

- - - Updated - - -

My point was is that I can see differences between this helmet and the originals that make it far from the "best." It is a very good fan sculpt and it should get the recognition it deserves.

yes..thats the point.And that is exactly what I also said.

here is what you said, you said that "people" said that the quasimodo was more accurate than an authentic cast, now, please show us the post were people said that :lol

Where is this going?
Can’t we all just make things and get the fact that some people with think it’s awesome and some won’t. You can’t please everyone and shouldn’t try to.
If you like what you make and others do too that should be enough. Getting hit up on someone’s opinion is not going to help matters.
I doubt anyone’s sales have been affected in a bad way by meaningless internet posts on what they like and what others like and what they don’t or others don’t. :lol:

Last edited:
here is what you said, you said that "people" said that the quasimodo was more accurate than an authentic cast, now, please show us the post were people said that :lol

Post #705 in this thread: "....CFO helmets can trace their lineage directly to a screen used helmet, but Bookface and CSMacLaren have created a helmet that is as screen accurate as anything you can buy out there."

You should read better, coolcat.:lol;)

Post #705 in this thread: "....CFO helmets can trace their lineage directly to a screen used helmet, but Bookface and CSMacLaren have created a helmet that is as screen accurate as anything you can buy out there."

You should read better, coolcat.:lol;)

If that is the case then buying an expensive helmet with lineage is a waste of money. Im still not docking the Quasimodo and will say Im sorry if I ever came off rude about how I feel about it. It just comes down to my passion for Vader and him being my favorite fictional character.

I see the Quasimodo as the best fan sculpt I have seen to date. But I still feel some aspects and angles look off or are incorrect to what I see in an original helmet. Like for example the cheeks sag to much as someone pointed that out when comparing the R1 helmet to ANH.....etc..I feel a helmet such as CFO or SL that share the molds that were directly connected with the original screen used helmets can not be beaten. They use the very same sculpt that came from Brian Muir. Fan sculpts do not.

That is just how I feel. Please do not take it to heart. I have always had respect for the Darth Ugly and the Quasimodo. The Darth Ugly was my first step into accurate helmets and will always remember it!

I don't doubt the quality of the CFO ROTJ helmet, but if the finish of what was cast needs to be redone because of how poorly the item being cast was finished, I think calling it "cast from original" is misleading. It certainly isn't a warts and all cast of an original screen used helmet.

Thank you.
But I must correct you.
I have made no false claims about this helmet being cast from an original screen used helmet whatsoever. I have only ever promoted it as my interpretation of a screen used helmet. The unaltered version we did had all the warts and drips, chips etc of the actual helmet we were loaned that was cast from the uk mould and badly painted. Again I have not hidden this from day one. Why would I?
Also the reason it’s called cast from original ROTJ Vader helmet is because my prop company is called CFO/Cast from Original. What else should I call it? “The Cast from Original not quite cast from a screen used original Darth Vader helmet” is that more transparent? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.
But I must correct you.
I have made no false claims about this helmet being cast from an original screen used helmet whatsoever. I have only ever promoted it as my interpretation of a screen used helmet. The unaltered version we did had all the warts and drips, chips etc of the actual helmet we were loaned that was cast from the uk mould and badly painted. Again I have not hidden this from day one. Why would I?
Also the reason it’s called cast from original ROTJ Vader helmet is because my prop company is called CFO/Cast from Original. What else should I call it? “The Cast from Original not quite cast from a screen used original Darth Vader helmet” is that more transparent? 浪[emoji23]

Although it IS cast from an original helmet. It isnt screen used but is it not still an original helmet casting? It was made from the production molds during production of the OT. I consider that an original helmet.

So the name CFO still fits it IMO.

Thank you.
But I must correct you.
Also the reason it’s called cast from original ROTJ Vader helmet is because my prop company is called CFO/Cast from Original. What else should I call it? “The Cast from Original not quite cast from a screen used original Darth Vader helmet” is that more transparent? [emoji23]

Do you agree that you had to do quite a bit of work on the surface for your ROTJ version to remove all of the warts, drips, etc? It looked like a lot of work from the photos. I'm just saying your artistic skill had a lot to do with the final result. It wasn't just a casting of a clean source helmet. Someone else working from the same source could very easily end up with a helmet that doesn't look nearly as good.

Based on brief posts that simply say it has lineage, people could easily think your helmet is a cast from a much cleaner source than it really was and not realize how much work had to be done on it to get to the final version. I'm not saying you are the source of these statements.

People should always do more research than just reading a few brief posts prior to making a purchase like this, but some don't.

I think your helmet looks great! But much of that is because of your skill and attention to detail.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Although it IS cast from an original helmet. It isnt screen used but is it not still an original helmet casting? It was made from the production molds during production of the OT. I consider that an original helmet.

So the name CFO still fits it IMO.
My comment is more based on the amount of work to clean up the original to get to the final result than about the original not actually appearing on screen.

It's like the difference between making a copy of an image without any retouching and doing lots of work to remove or change things in the copy. The retouched image is no longer a copy of the original, it is something new with lineage to the original but not a copy.

Do you agree that you had to do quite a bit of work on the surface for your ROTJ version to remove all of the warts, drips, etc? It looked like a lot of work from the photos. I'm just saying your artistic skill had a lot to do with the final result. It wasn't just a casting of a clean source helmet. Someone else working from the same source could very easily end up with a helmet that doesn't look nearly as good.

Based on brief posts that simply say it has lineage, people could easily think your helmet is a cast from a much cleaner source than it really was and not realize how much work had to be done on it to get to the final version. I'm not saying you are the source of these statements.

People should always do more research than just reading a few brief posts prior to making a purchase like this, but some don't.

I think your helmet looks great! But much of that is because of your skill and attention to detail.

Thanks again. I like to think my skill and attention to detail got the helmet thus far.
I agree wholeheartedly that i had to do a fair bit of work to get it to where it is now. But it was done with preserving shape very much in mind. But I did sand the surface free of the drips, filled cracks and repaired damage. I sanded off the tabs and added an accurate mounting ring, I cut the chin triangle larger, I removed the neck extension and added slots for the strapping. Whilst trying to leave the essence of a hand sculpted helmet as much as I could. But it still would not look as good had I not had a casting from the original mould. The shape and geometry of the GS is just great to start with. From what I can tell it has suffered no warpage unlike many other “rushed” casts that have surfaced.

All of this is documented on various threads on forums and extensively on my Facebook page. As I said I have no secrets but I cannot be held accountable for what others say or if people buy it thinking it’s a direct cast of a screen used helmet as assumption.
You said I was misleading people calling it a cast from original but that’s my company name and has been for a decade or so.
I have had no buyers or people waiting on the list under any other illusion of what it is.
The faceplate was a direct cast of the ANH faceplate from the uk mould so just like production I modelled that into the ROTJ you see now. The dome was already in the ROTJ shape so was just cleaned up.
If people have a problem with what I do or the name of my company then they as you say should do a bit more research. [emoji1303]

I can’t help but think this thread has gone off on a tangent!

Last edited:
That´s all so nuts...people who wants to buy an lineage helmet should do that..and people who wants an artists work should buy this.
Or buying both.I would not destroy a Darth Ugly helmet if I would get one as a birthday gift.So I´m not a hater like he always says.:lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back