thinking of getting an iron man suit from full body armors.com need advice

Good review Superdave.. thanks. I think you and I are probably the same. OCD with attention to detail and perfectionist. I probably would have lost it. Especially after paying $2600+.

Post pics and that vid when you can. Thanks!

Thanks for the info Superdave, I think all of us waiting for their suit appreciates your info and have also contacted James to raise these points

I'll be doing a video review soon and I'll be posting it up on YouTube and I'll post it here as well. If you guys need reference pics or anything give me a shout and I'll do what I can to help.

Thank you so much Dave,

Finally some light, can't wait for the video, hopefully it will help us in assembling the thing.

One thing I'm really keen on seeing is how the suit is actually put on. That short video strongly implies that it's a very complicated affair.

Looks very cool, but not very durable. I would be afraid to take that out and about. I'm glad I went with Masked Riders suits. Good luck with the fitting .

I've spent most of the day riveting in some key areas that seem to have more stress on them. So far everything is going well. I did move the buttons for repulsors and wing flaps and helmet. Much better location than where they had originally put them. I just finished adjusting the wing flap servos and tested...so much better. I'm now going to adjust the forearm missile bays and LED's. After that I'm going to try to put this thing on again. So far so good.

Last post before bed...managed to get the suit on. Ended up having to rip off the harness from the neck piece just to get things going. Also going to have to add clips to the harness to make it easier for the legs and forearms. My fixes worked really great, since I moved the buttons from the thumb area to index and middle finger works soooooo much better. All the adjustments made to the servos and attachments worked out nicely. Going forward with putting on the suit...after I adjusted the harness to where it needed to be on with the forearms and hands. I figured out with some slight moving around of the arm pieces there's a kinda of happy spot where you can actually bend your arms, not too much but still a bonus. The hands are kinda tough with the location of the velcro and the wrist zipper. Some mods are definitely needed. The wrist area doesn't really want to fit properly into the forearm so that is already a pain to deal with. The wires from the hand and forearm are easy to hide but I think I'm going to put some type of material on the inside just to clean things up a bit. Well onto the torso pieces. First thing is to make sure your power is on because if not you and your handler WILL be at each other very quickly. Your neck piece goes on first. I found it easier to bend forward just a little to put the back torso on then take the front one and clip it to the back. Don't forget to make sure your wire connectors are hanging outside the suit so you can get to them easily then tuck them in . The pieces for the abdominal area is a @#$&! So be ready. The areas where the screws go together aren't exactly cut out enough for easier installation when you go to put everything together. Also make sure you put them together from top to bottom and that they are overlapping one another. There are also zippers on each side just under the armpit area. The pieces around the armpit areas may require some mods, I haven't really got any big issue with it just might need some tweaking. The cod piece is foam with a plastic covering. Bends easy enough and attaches with velcro so no problem there. I actually didn't put the helmet on yet with the suit since my battery power ran out. Having most of the suit on you can tell what needs to be tweaked or reinforced. I do recommend strongly that you get some 2 part epoxy and a rivet gun set using 1/8 size rivets. I also got some extra elastic to help keep things in place. I put in 12 hours fixing and testing. I still have some tweaking to do but not like I had in the beginning. I'll post pics soon so you guys can get a better look as to what I've done.

Thanks Superdave, I am expecting my suit this week. He email me the videos on how to connect electrics and the test for the suit prior to shipping.

Orignl,
The videos are ok but when you actually get the suit it's a whole different game. I've studied this thing quite extensively and I've even come up with a better user friendly harness than what he sent. Best advice is go over EVERYTHING because details matter with this.

Orignl,
The videos are ok but when actually get the suit it's a whole different game. I've studied this thing quite extensively and I've even come up with a better user friendly harness than what he sent. Best advice is going over EVERYTHING because details matter with this.

Sorry for the double post.
As I said details are everything. Look at everything. You will find something that needs to be fixed or modified...that much is certain.

Thanks for the video.

Everyone should recognize that Superdave's experience is precisely the experience you are going to get with all of your FBA suits (and the very experience that I have had with the three that I have).

I have told James (Jarvis) at FBA that these suits need to be sold as hobby kits because they are not truly 'finished'. When you get your suit it will be a complete path of mystery solving - there are no/limited instructions for the suits. They are, in fact, a total mystery which will at time be improperly connected. You need to be a sleuth and you need to expect that you will have to try on the suit multiple times before you get it right and configured properly.

Your suit will be incomplete - the video shows that a missile was missing - this is common in these suits and you need to make sure that FBA knows what you are missing. CAUTION: when they send you the replacement parts make sure that they don't charge you COD. I have been burnt by this several times.

Hot glue - they are very very very cheap on their use of hot glue on the suits - and particularly where it is a plastic/fibreglass hybrid, it falls apart quickly. As soon as I get my suits from them I spend the first few days going over all the seams on the inside with my own hot glue. It's a mess, but you gotta do it.

Electronics - be careful with their servos - i have found that if you start pushing them around without the suit being powered up they get out of sync. This shouldn't be the case but it is.

Suiting Up - this is a two person job. If you try it yourself you will damage the suit. Go slow. Don't force anything and if you get frustrated take a break.

Hope this helps.

Murphy1969

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back